JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is one of those questions that is a "Good Idea" that in turn has a good reason for why it is.

If the government like the military runs off the same standards, why do our forms 1's and 4's go to Atlanta GA and West Virginia? Why not have a NFA branch in the federal building in say Portland or Seattle, Sacramento, Boise and Anchorage. This way examiners can maintain a level of control as well as accountability of county sheriff's that seems to rewrite laws by refusing to allow people to own NFA items in their counties.

The benefit would be shorter wait times. Less back logs and more employment opportunities. last time I checked the government is FOR THE PEOPLE , BY THE PEOPLE. So why do I keep reading about law abiding citizens getting the rub from the ATF when they call about the NFA forms? I find this unacceptable of our government.

I just wish for once the government worked like it was designed to. I go to the post office and I swear Im seeing a clip from those ACORN exposure videos that were on the news earlier this year.

Well As I stated at the beginning Im sure there is a reason for everything the Government does. Sadly I feel the answer to this question lies in that the government is inefficient bottomless tax money pit. As a disabled vet I see how the VA handles my health care and I wonder how in the **** does this government plan on taking care of 300 million US citizens?

But I'm sure they have a plan for that. It includes the old "hurry up and Wait!!"

There's a difference between could the government do X and should it do X.

Just because the ATF exists, does not mean the various people in it all understand basic gun laws, let alone the specialized, niche world of NFA. It's like the IRS, you can send in a question twice and get two different answers from two different individuals.

Having things centralized probably cuts down on that kind of thing. Also having things centralized makes it pretty easy to find the status of one item whereas if you have multiple offices, paperwork that gets approved in one office may never make it to the system where others can reference it. Plus you can have offices develop their own internal standards or procedures that differ from the others. Look at the issue with trusts where for a time there was an issue as to whether or not the Schedule A form was required and that was all in the same office with different examiners.

The way the government wastes money suggests that it could afford to hire additional NFA examiners and open satellite NFA offices. As previously mentioned, the practical reality is that multiple offices means multiple opportunities for paperwork to get lost. I could see hiring more people for the office they already have, but NFA is such a small world that I doubt they need or benefit from satellite offices created for the sole purpose of processing NFA paperwork.

there is a field office in Portland. here are several investigators there.

As far as the NFA inspectors / Investigators. From my dealings with the ATF, there really isnt that many requests to justify every state having employees to process the forms. Several things just take time (like waiting for checks to clear, Processing fingerprints, waiting on FBI files, background checks)

They all take time, additional investigators is not going to speed up some of those processes.

On a side note, I have had nothing but great experiences working with the ATF. As long as you follow the rules they are very nice.

there is a field office in Portland. here are several investigators there.

As far as the NFA inspectors / Investigators. From my dealings with the ATF, there really isnt that many requests to justify every state having employees to process the forms. Several things just take time (like waiting for checks to clear, Processing fingerprints, waiting on FBI files, background checks)

They all take time, additional investigators is not going to speed up some of those processes.

On a side note, I have had nothing but great experiences working with the ATF. As long as you follow the rules they are very nice.

I have had to contact the ATF several times (though not for NFA issues) and am actually stunned by their customer service friendly disposition and helpfulness. I know this is just anecdotal evidence on my part but I have never dealt with a government agency and possibly even a private business that was so helpful.
Also, like has already been mentioned, I would wager that the numbers of NFA requests the ATF deals with are so small that it would be impractical to have regional offices set up to just deal with them.
That being said, you are exactly correct about the governments self feeding gluttony for our $$. It's just going to get worse.

I wanted to first say thank you to all who read my rant, and replied. Whether agreed or not, a spirited debate is alway the nectar that gives life a zest that is not found locking horns with liberal professor's in academia.

To be honest when I posted this rant I was so frustrated over an assignment I was doing for a citizenship class that I had to vent my frustrations and this forum of tax paying, law abiding citizens of our region never let's me down with thoughtful witty and very insightful retorts.

So I thank you all who read my rant and gave me moment of your time
and thought.

Best Regards

Abn_Surfer

~K

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR