JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I started taking photos of my local gun shop's ammo and bullet selection starting in March when shortages were first starting to be reported. This is the only place for 50 miles to buy handgun ammo since Walmart got woke and stopped selling it.

Bullet shelf in March started showing some selections out of stock...

IMG_20200323_152527986.jpg

Rifle ammo was also starting to thin out...

IMG_20200323_152510056.jpg

In May, still plenty of .22 and rifle and pistol ammo back on the shelf...

IMG_20200511_162924868.jpg

IMG_20200511_162939837.jpg

By October, still good selection of powder, but no bullets. Primers were long gone, except for Large Rifle. Rifle ammo was pretty picked over and pistol was getting scarce with only .22, premium 9mm defense, 10mm, the unpopular large bore calibers, and .40 S&W left.

IMG_20201019_142339479.jpg

In November, only 10mm, .38 Super, .41 Mag, and .45 Colt left for pistol. Rifle was getting thinner. Still no powder, primers, or bullets.

IMG_20201110_144525842.jpg

IMG_20201110_144529284.jpg

And finally today, with a few boxes of 10mm, no .22, almost no bullets, and almost no rifle ammo except for a couple of oddball cartridges...

IMG_20201215_155636383.jpg

IMG_20201215_155722195.jpg

The powder shelf was completely bare. In fact, it was literally gone. There were plastic Caseguard ammo boxes there. I asked the clerk where the powder section was and he said they just removed it. No point in even having one anymore. Same with the primers.

I don't think I've ever seen things this bad in 35 years of shooting.

Guy's that keep saying that there's no reason to worry and things will be back to normal in a few months are fooling themselves, I think.

Guy's that keep saying that there's no reason to worry and things will be back to normal in a few months are fooling themselves, I think.
I hate to be gloom and doom, but unfortunately I believe you are correct. I've lived (and definitely learned) from the past shortages. For the most part these were focused on one or two events. Elections, Sandy Hook, etc. We are currently in a dumpster fire bubblegum storm of COVID, riots, occupations, limiting police from doing their jobs, social media rhetoric, supply disruption, Remington bankruptcy / sale, 2A hating media, oh yea, and the election. I'm sure I missed another few dozen items.

Tomorrow I'm going over to my LGS, about thirty miles from here, and I'm going to plunder his LR and SP primers.

Unlike you lucky guys, here in UK we can't walk into a store and buy all the ammo we can see - with very strict legally-imposed limitations of the amount you can actually have in your possession at any one time, buying a coupla thousand or more rounds of .22, for instance, is never going to happen. My limit is 600 - which gives me the ability to buy a 500 lot and still have around a hundred or less in the safe. Since all our factory and store-bought ammunition is registered on your FAC as well as the gun-stores ammunition sales register, AND all ammunition sales are face-to-face, it is just impossible to legally acquire more than your quota of ANY ammunition.

Sure, you can reload, like I do, but the figures must still tally - no more than your lot - the LAW says so.

Punishment for being found out is hard and life-long.

Loss of FAC = loss of ALL guns. Usually for life. Plus a loss of copious amounts of £££££££££££££££££, starting at around £10,000, and maybe even jail-time.

Last Edited:
Some people are just now turning 21, or just now making enough money to buy much ammo, and couldn't stock up during the cheap years.

Just turning 21 = welcome to the party and here is your life lesson. Stack DEEP when Cheep. Plan for it or live through this again as it will happen again, just like the last shortage 8'ish yrs ago.

Not having enough $ = opportunity to evaluate income, expenses, and what one can do to make changes to allow for having funds for more (more is relative) ammo. Everyone's financial situation is their own, but I know a low-income, hardworking family man that made sacrifices to have ammo stocked. Now he also does not go shoot 1000 rounds a week or have 5 different guns each with different calibers. This guy not only works a job but also known to do auto repair jobs on the side. When 9mm is $150 for a case of 1000, it does not take a wealthy man to have ammo. He may have just that one case and it took 15hrs of labor to have the $ to buy it, but he made that decision to do so since he remembers ammo in 2011. It's all relative.

I agree with @HaveGun unfortunately this will not be over in a matter of months. :( I am making decisions with ammo like I will not see it readily available for yrs to come. The last shortage lasted for yrs, not months.

I measured the time last time by the availability of primers by the brick and .22lr by the brick always in stock at the local store. Years, not months.

Tomorrow I'm going over to my LGS, about thirty miles from here, and I'm going to plunder his LR and SP primers.

Unlike you lucky guys, here in UK we can';tr walk into a store and buy all the ammo we can see - with very strict legally-imposed limitations of the amount you can actually have in your possession at any one time, buying a coupla thousand or more rounds of .22, for instance, is never going to happen. My limit is 600 - which gives me the ability to buy a 500 lot and still have around a hundred or less in the safe. Since all our factory and store-bought ammunition is registered on your FAC as well as the gun-stores ammunition sales register, AND all ammunition sales are face-to-face, it is just impossible to legally acquire more than your quota of ANY ammunition.

Sure, you can reload, like I do, but the figures must still tally - no more than your lot - the LAW says so.

Loss of FAC = loss of ALL guns. Usually for life. Plus a loss of copious amounts of £££££££££££££££££, starting at around £10,000, and maybe even jail-time.
:eek:.Yikes Sunday I loaded 1200 .45 ACP and will prob knock out another 1200 tonight after work.

Note to self, don't move to England. Got it. (prob could not take half my firearm collection there anyway!) Maybe in Switzerland?

Last Edited:

Unlike you lucky guys, here in UK we can';tr walk into a store and buy all the ammo we can see - with very strict legally-imposed limitations of the amount you can actually have in your possession at any one time, buying a coupla thousand or more rounds of .22, for instance, is never going to happen. My limit is 600 - which gives me the ability to buy a 500 lot and still have around a hundred or less in the safe. Since all our factory and store-bought ammunition is registered on your FAC as well as the gun-stores ammunition sales register, AND all ammunition sales are face-to-face, it is just impossible to legally acquire more than your quota of ANY ammunition.

This is our future. Maybe not mine, maybe not my kids, but gradually we are moving towards this.

[...]

Unlike you lucky guys, here in UK we can';tr walk into a store and buy all the ammo we can see - with very strict legally-imposed limitations of the amount you can actually have in your possession at any one time, buying a coupla thousand or more rounds of .22, for instance, is never going to happen.

[...]

My wife has a kind of rich relative in Indonesia and once while visiting him, he covertly showed me a 50 box of 9mm he had hidden. Not the pistol and the other couple firearms he had for hunting, they were locked up at the po-po station where he checked them out when he had a purpose (like boar hunting).

Best day of his vacation to the US was taking any and all of mine he wanted to the range.

:s0085:

Don't know if anyone else is noticing this, but it seem like EVERYTHING from Remington is showing discontinued. In the past few days I've received notifications about shotgun barrels, magazines and now components. This is just another squall in the perfect storm. The new price on the above is close...just move the decimal point over to the right one place.:(

The local Bimart had some 50 boxes of 5.56 on Monday, $9.95 for 20!!!. I didn't really look hard but it seems they were out of 12gauge shells. Cold only see 20 and 28

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top