JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's kind of fishing.... A little over an hour in the ocean at night can be rewarding. IMG_20180927_225702858.jpg

The smaller ones are slipper lobster, and the other one is a spiny lobster. The slipper is sweet like the Dungeness crab, and the spiny is rich like the Maine lobster.

Spent many years off and on all over the east coast, I got sick of lobster, i ate so much! Don't laugh, it's not funny. I do enjoy a good pound and a quarter winter lobster! Honestly, I do miss it!

What is it about the west coast that we don't have lobsters here? Water too cold?
Good question....The ocean temps in Maine, which is known for cold-water lobster, can get down to about 36*, during the winter. It does however get up to about 65* in the summer. Not sure why we don't have lobsters? Maybe the sea lions ate them all lol

Spiny Lobster are really good...we used to slow poach them in butter using a double boiler or grill them up, when I lived in FL.

Two different critters:
Spiny Lobsters, (Bugs) = Warm water, West Coast. :p
Maine Lobsters, (Lobstah) = Cold water, East Coast. :D
Slipper Lobsters = A third type of Critter, but closely related to Spinys.:eek:
In my, "diving days", I used to wonder why no one ever tried to introduce the Maine Lobster to the PAC N/W:cool:

Two different critters:
Spiny Lobsters, (Bugs) = Warm water, West Coast. :p
Maine Lobsters, (Lobstah) = Cold water, East Coast. :D
Slipper Lobsters = A third type of Critter, but closely related to Spinys.:eek:
In my, "diving days", I used to wonder why no one ever tried to introduce the Maine Lobster to the PAC N/W:cool:
Fun fact, Hawaii has a place in Kona called NELHA, and basically, they're sucking really cold water up from thousands of feet and are using it to generate electricity. One of the byproducts, a bunch of really cold water, is being used to grow Maine lobsters.

Last Edited: