JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a friend who lives in PA but is coming to a wedding here in Oregon. He's planning on doing a hiking/fishing trip when he comes to visit. Does Oregon have any state laws that would prohibit me loaning him a handgun on his trip? He will be open carrying. Thanks!

ors 160.250 but after sb941 takes affect I believe you would have to be with him. Even at that it's a maybe in the definition of temporary transfer.

<broken link removed>

166.260 Persons not affected by ORS 166.250. (1) ORS 166.250 does not apply to or affect:

(b) Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.

Seems like this would be okay for my friend. But as you stated sb941 may be an issue. I believe the wedding is 90days past the signing period as well.

Might be easier for him to just bring his own gun. The airlines and TSA website can provide the proceedures he will have to go through - but essentially must be in checked baggage in a locked container, unloaded, and must be declared before boarding blah blah blah. Then you don't need to worry about Oregon's new stupid transfer law.

Not helpful. Maybe point to an answer if you can't deign to give it yourself?
I did point to the answer.... ORS 166 <broken link removed>

As a gun owner you need to be familiar with this particular Oregon Revised Statute as it probably applies to you daily. For example, ORS 166.173 gives cities and counties the authority to regulate the possession of loaded firearms. However, ORS 166.173 also tells the same jurisdictions to pound sand if someone has a concealed permit, active duty military, actively traveling to or from a lawful hunting/fishing tirp, etc.

WHY WORRY About It!!!
There Unconstitutional laws so there null and void. Period!!
Stacy

Sure. And you can tell that to the cops as they're dragging you off to jail. I'm sure it will all get worked out months or years later in court, after spending tens of thousands of dollars on your defense to tell the people that made the law that it's unconstitutional. Then they'll lock you away anyway.

As much as I may agree these laws are likely in direct conflict with the Constitution, the people that enforce them have far greater resources to enforce a bad law than you or I do to defend ourselves against them. Unless you've got Bloomberg money...

Sure. And you can tell that to the cops as they're dragging you off to jail. I'm sure it will all get worked out months or years later in court, after spending tens of thousands of dollars on your defense to tell the people that made the law that it's unconstitutional. Then they'll lock you away anyway.

As much as I may agree these laws are likely in direct conflict with the Constitution, the people that enforce them have far greater resources to enforce a bad law than you or I do to defend ourselves against them. Unless you've got Bloomberg money...

"Prove it" I'm sorry, but I've owned this gun prior to the asinine law, can you prove that I didn't?

Well, if the gun was manufactured after August 2015, then yes, they probably can prove it ;)
Even so, unless you're doing something illegal, they can't just take your gun and run the numbers. Any lawyer worth their sale will get the charges dismissed on the basis that the illegal search and seizure is against the 4th amendment of the US Constitution.

Also, the first time that you get caught, it's a misdemeanor charge that really only impacts your CHL, and a CHL is on the verge of being unconstitutional.

Even so, unless you're doing something illegal, they can't just take your gun and run the numbers. Any lawyer worth their sale will get the charges dismissed on the basis that the illegal search and seizure is against the 4th amendment of the US Constitution.

Also, the first time that you get caught, it's a misdemeanor charge that really only impacts your CHL, and a CHL is on the verge of being unconstitutional.

Not disagreeing with you. Just have a disagreement of potentially running afoul of the law myself. I do enjoy my freedom, even if it does have limits.

ORS166, read it, learn it, memorize it.
Not helpful. Maybe point to an answer if you can't deign to give it yourself?

I did point to the answer.... ORS 166 <broken link removed>

As a gun owner you need to be familiar with this particular Oregon Revised Statute as it probably applies to you daily. For example, ORS 166.173 gives cities and counties the authority to regulate the possession of loaded firearms. However, ORS 166.173 also tells the same jurisdictions to pound sand if someone has a concealed permit, active duty military, actively traveling to or from a lawful hunting/fishing tirp, etc.

I'm guessing that solv3nt isn't a lawyer and if he was you could only sue him for what his advise cost you,but you shouldn't rely on what HE SAYS,but read the link he gave you and make your own decisions as to what to do

this thread is a depressing example of what gun control has done to this country, and with no effect on crime...

I appreciate the responses, but I only wanted to know the legalities of loaning a handgun, I don't want opinions, although my views align with the majority of posters. I just don't want to break any laws that could get myself and my friend in trouble. Thanks.

I appreciate the responses, but I only wanted to know the legalities of loaning a handgun, I don't want opinions, although my views align with the majority of posters. I just don't want to break any laws that could get myself and my friend in trouble. Thanks.

You're on a forum, my friend, opinions are what you're going to get. If you want hard and fast, firm answers, you're probably going to have to contact the ATF directly, or pay an attorney to find out for you.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top