JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is always the "significant other" loophole. You would just need to play for the "other team" for a while and hopefully wouldn't be required to demonstrate your new found preference.

ORS 166.435 is the law on transfers. Section 1 B appears to read that loaning for the purpose of target shooting is OK?
Not a lawyer---read it and decide for yourself.

ORS 166.435 is the law on transfers. Section 1 B appears to read that loaning for the purpose of target shooting is OK?
Not a lawyer---read it and decide for yourself.
"Transfer" means the delivery of a firearm from a transferor to a transferee, including, but not limited to, the sale, gift, loan or lease of the firearm. "Transfer" does not include the temporary provision of a firearm to a transferee if the transferor has no reason to believe the transferee is prohibited from possessing a firearm or intends to use the firearm in the commission of a crime, and the provision occurs:

(A)At a shooting range, shooting gallery or other area designed for the purpose of target shooting, for use during target practice, a firearms safety or training course or class or a similar lawful activity;

(B)For the purpose of hunting, trapping or target shooting, during the time in which the transferee is engaged in activities related to hunting, trapping or target shooting;

I think I'm safe under this provision, and the transferee has an Oregon CCP

thanks for the info

This provision applies only if the transferor is present during the activities (IE. Target shooting/Hunting).

ORS 166.435

(1)As used in this section:

(a)"Transfer" means the delivery of a firearm from a transferor to a transferee, including, but not limited to, the sale, gift, loan or lease of the firearm. "Transfer" does not include the temporary provision of a firearm to a transferee if the transferor has no reason to believe the transferee is prohibited from possessing a firearm or intends to use the firearm in the commission of a crime, and the provision occurs:

(A)At a shooting range, shooting gallery or other area designed for the purpose of target shooting, for use during target practice, a firearms safety or training course or class or a similar lawful activity;

(B)For the purpose of hunting, trapping or target shooting, during the time in which the transferee is engaged in activities related to hunting, trapping or target shooting;

(C)Under circumstances in which the transferee and the firearm are in the presence of the transferor;

(D)To a transferee who is in the business of repairing firearms, for the time during which the firearm is being repaired;

(E)To a transferee who is in the business of making or repairing custom accessories for firearms, for the time during which the accessories are being made or repaired; or

(F)For the purpose of preventing imminent death or serious physical injury, and the provision lasts only as long as is necessary to prevent the death or serious physical injury.

To be clear...

As long as you are present with your friend(and his son) during the activities listed above(ie. training/target shooting), you may lend him a firearm.

It would not be legal(in Oregon) to lend him a firearm away from such activities.
I understand that

"Transfer" means the delivery of a firearm from a transferor to a transferee, including, but not limited to, the sale, gift, loan or lease of the firearm. "Transfer" does not include the temporary provision of a firearm to a transferee if the transferor has no reason to believe the transferee is prohibited from possessing a firearm or intends to use the firearm in the commission of a crime, and the provision occurs:

I think I'm safe under this provision, and the transferee has an Oregon CCP

thanks for the info

I read that to mean you must be in possession except when they are actively target shooting, hunting, etc..

I read that to mean you must be in possession except when they are actively target shooting, hunting, etc..
I read it a little differently. I would believe that the drive to and from hunting/target shooting is an activity related to said. So long as trips to the store aren't involved, a direct a to b route seems kosher the way it's phrased

it looks like it would be easier to sell him this old .22 for $1 and be done with it

he has a local FFL to do the background check, since he lives over 40 miles away, I can just ship it

I found Washington has similar laws

I have lived out here on the North Fork for 24 years
never loaded or borrowed a tool that was not returned in as good as shape as it was received, including firearms
if I borrow a chainsaw for a week, it's returned with a new chain
I guess we all have different experiences
I have stored firearms for others and inspect them when I receive than and before they are returned
we each have our own experiences on which we base our decisions
if I loan a rifle to an Army reserve E7, I expect him to respect and care for such firearm as if it was his own

I have lived out here on the North Fork for 24 years
never loaded or borrowed a tool that was not returned in as good as shape as it was received, including firearms
if I borrow a chainsaw for a week, it's returned with a new chain
I guess we all have different experiences
I have stored firearms for others and inspect them when I receive than and before they are returned
we each have our own experiences on which we base our decisions
if I loan a rifle to an Army reserve E7, I expect him to respect and care for such firearm as if it was his own
I'm curious what the rank has to do with taking care of someone else's property? I would think your MOS would be a better indicator, or even just who they are as a person who goes to the hardware store or enjoys a cup of coffee like the rest of us.

I know he's been in 15 years, enough time to develop responsibility
and I have known the young man for years
but others experience with military veterans may be different
I spent 10 years and left as an E-6
worked with a lot of losers in those 10 years
but this young man is not one of those

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show