JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To the OP, I do not believe you need to get your father to send the firearm to the dealer. We have a dealer on the forums from Salem, give Sully a call.
BLACKWATER TACTICAL & CODE 3 L.E. SUPPLY
1185 12th STREET S.E., SUITE "B"
SALEM, OR 97302
503-588-2635 (P), 503-588-2633 (P), 503-585-4655 (F)
HOURS : MON-SAT 11:00-6:00

As for all the arguing back and forth about whether or not you need to do a transfer. I think about it this way. Even the ATF has people in their office that disagree about their policies and rules, depends on who you talk to. As for me, I am a better safe than sorry kind of guy, I am allergic to chrome braclets, jail, and losing my rights for simple stuff like misunderstandings/misreadings of ATF policy/law/rule.

I give up on your left coasties. No matter how you look at it he'll be breaking federal law, and you're advising him to do it.

Now you've got my "Panties in a bunch"
You're wrong, and there's no other way around it.

May you all spend time with Bubba when you spend your time up the river.
Where are the Moderators that are supposed to be watching issues like this.
This thread should have been shut down long ago because you're advising an intentional violation of federal law.

I won't hang with idiots like you all, so I'm gone.

I give up on your left coasties. No matter how you look at it he'll be breaking federal law, and you're advising him to do it.

This thread should have been shut down long ago because you're advising an intentional violation of federal law.

Don't let the door hit your *** on the way out.

Where are the Moderators that are supposed to be watching issues like this?

This from an Idahoinan?
No federal laws will be broken,you are wrong.There is alternative ways to do this.
Otherwise I'm sure it would have been shut down

Yours truly
The town Idiot

The OP already has the firearm legally through a loan. I never said to transfer ownership illegally. They aren't obligated to do an FFL transfer at this point. He can make that choice if he wants.

Why would I close down a discussion on a legitimate question? Sure some of the answers are incorrect, people are endeavoring to come up with the correct answers though. I see the applicable laws being quoted and that is what matters in an open society among people that do not live in fear. What more could be asked of a thread on this subject?

To paraphrase the movie Office Space, "this isn't Riyadh they're not going to cut off your hands" for typing this.

Are they required to register guns in Arizona? I guess did he is the question. I'd say thousands of guns used for carry in Oregon aren't registered to the owner and in that rare case when/if the firearm is used and the police question its origin there's no way they are going to dig into how and when your dad gave it to you. Have you ever been a Arizona resident or has he ever lived in Oregon? There's no real way they could prove or even want to prove this. Just carry it and if the question is ever raised, you spent 6 months in Arizona or visa versa when he gave it to you

I do not understand why you are so concerned. It makes no sense to me. If it bothers you,,,,It is a "loaned" until your father dies and you inheirit it, no transfer or state requirements under those conditions.

There is no "registration" or "registered" owner of any weapon in OR. If your father obtained that gun prior to 1968 (I own several like that) there isn't even an entry into an FFL log book. You have to remember, most of that ATF stuff deals with transfers by a "licensed" person (AKA an FFL) not privately loaned weapons between father and son.

I had physical possession of all but one of my father's guns for years before he died. They were his guns if anyone asked. As far as I was concerned they WERE his guns. If he had asked for them back, I would have given them back. When he died, I even got the one he kept. No transfer necessary. Now that he is dead, they are "my" guns.

One of my guns I have given to one of my granddaughters...it is still in my possession, and will be until she turns 18 or I die whichever comes first. (her dad is an anti and won't allow a gun in the house). Even if they move to FL (likely, it looks like her dad will be transfered there), it still won't be transfered. As far as the granddaughter and her mother (our daughter) are concerned, the pistol already belongs to her. It doesn't really matter when or where she takes possession of what is already hers.

I understand that the loan part requires no documentation. Unless I mis-read the original post, it sounded like the gun was going to change legal possession (not physical) through a gift and prior to it becoming a part of inheritance. Being a cautious person, I'd do the transfer and pay the $ in order to be 100% certain that I am able to have the gun (physically, and legally).

I guess we approach this differently. Mine would work for me, and yours is working for you.
:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads