JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Like anything else it will depend a lot on the person. I work on wildland fires in the summer. I have seen some hot shot/smoke jumper girls hump amazing loads that I dont even want to.

The minimum standard for wildland firefighter is 45lb pack hiking 3 miles in 45 min.

I'd say its more of what she would be comfortable carrying over say a 5mile distance. I know my wife is a little shorter and a little lighter than those numbers and she can hold her own if need be. If the need not be, then she's a total wuss. Really though, if you are looking for how much ammo, ask yourself what kind of role you see her playing in your war game strategy. Seriously, I would only ask them to carry what they feel would be necessary for what they are comfortable with doing. If she if cool with a 6-8 30rd mags plus side arm and mags, then more power to ya. But knowing most women, I would say 4 30rd mags plus side are with 2 extra mags. Then back back on top of that. I would probably cap the pack at 35-40lbs unless she is into back packing and is comfortable with more. Last thing you need is the nagging or having to haul their gear because you over estimated.

Women will judge for themselves what they can carry:D Probably bad enough they been carrying their boyfriends and husbands:s0112::s0112:

One thing to watch out for is some women are vegetarians. People who don't eat meat run out of power much sooner than carnivoirs. Pick a woman smart enough to have a diet that supports what direction you go.

jj

My daughter while training as a Navy corpsman with the Marines at 5' and 118lbs was carring a Std battle pack and all her medical gear weapon and the such. So on 6 mile hikes she was tripping along with 70lbs+ of gear. That is equal to 60% of her body weight but then no guy here is any tougher then my little girl LOL.

For a 200lb guy that load is equal to 120lbs put that on and go over hill and dale for 6 miles.

YMMV

Thanks for all the responses.

I know when we hike she normally has 40-45 lbs max, but that's the basic gear with short ropes, snowshoes, and harnesses for a total operating window of 3-4 days given current winter conditions for example.

I guess I'll save all the Natec plastic 223 for her to carry to lighten it up. It's pretty sad when your "survival gear" (sleeping bag, tent, clothes, stove, water, med kit, navsys stuff, comm, and LRRP type meals) take up 40-45lbs and then what are you left with for a normal decent shape defender when it comes to added firepower weight? Not much is what. Visions of holding off a zombie platoon or a SWAT team sized crew for hours or even minutes are pipe dreams.

For example, if I simply load up all my daily shooting ammo, 20 or so 30rd 5.45 mags and a couple pistols with 200-300rds that adds another 30 lbs or so. I guess in a SHTF scenario you have to have transportation because a woman (or many guys) carrying 70-75 lbs is not going to move very well. This doesn't even include armor, NVG, CS cans/mask, smoke/flares, Alumagel packets, extra fuel, or supplies for a crew served weapon like ammo belts/spare barrels either.

:huh:

There is alot of optimism in plans people make. Reality will be a killer. They won't die alone, too many live in the dream world.

jj

There is alot of optimism in plans people make. Reality will be a killer. They won't die alone, too many live in the dream world.

jj

A BIG :s0155: on that. If it weren't so serious it would almost be funny. I am regularly running into some I associate with professionally who live in large urban areas who have amassed a wide selection of weapons and gear...only to present me with a blank stare when I ask them how in **** they plan to transport it in the event of a major SHTF event. If you don't live in the country, don't expect to get out of town intact with all your precious equipment. I don't know what the answer is to those who live in an urban setting except to do as I have done if possible. Buy a nice hunk of land and move. If you can't do that, take a hard realistic look at what you accumulate with the mindset you will take it with you. Being in a good position at the outset is a great head start to coming out on top.

Let her carry what ever she needs to carry. Let her pick half (maybe 2/3) of a bag of things and the rest be gear. That way she have a say in what she have to carry on the trip:cool:. What is the total load of gear? If you have a big dog have it carry some of the stuff and it's own food:D.

Any idea on where to find the standard load out in lbs (with rd count) for a 34 yr 5-8 145lb woman? (Not me jackholes) although some would beg to differ.

Military standards are about 35lbs in the ruck- regardless of male/female/age/size status.

I've, personally, saved a lot of room in my bag by simply getting things that have multiple uses. For example, if I put my poncho and poncho liner together, I instantly have a sleeping bag. My Gortex bottoms and jacket double as rain gear and if it gets too cold for my "sleeping bag" I can just wear them and then crawl in to "double-up" on my cold weather gear. I also have a single one-man ten that could tightly fit both my wife and I...add water, change of clothes, e-tool, knife, rope, survival kit, first aid kit, a few days worth of food, radios, and other misc gear and it weighs roughly 40-45lbs. This is WITHOUT a gun or ammo mind you, so when I go running I try to wear my pack to strengthen up my back and shoulders for the weight it will have to carry.

My daughter while training as a Navy corpsman with the Marines at 5' and 118lbs was carring a Std battle pack and all her medical gear weapon and the such. So on 6 mile hikes she was tripping along with 70lbs+ of gear. That is equal to 60% of her body weight but then no guy here is any tougher then my little girl LOL.

For a 200lb guy that load is equal to 120lbs put that on and go over hill and dale for 6 miles.

YMMV

That's not really that much. My LCE weighed 97lbs with ammo, food, water. Then toss an RTO ruck on that. It was pretty painfull jumping though. I routinely dropped with 200-250 lbs of gear when I only weighed 185.

Military standards are about 35lbs in the ruck- regardless of male/female/age/size status.

I've, personally, saved a lot of room in my bag by simply getting things that have multiple uses. For example, if I put my poncho and poncho liner together, I instantly have a sleeping bag. My Gortex bottoms and jacket double as rain gear and if it gets too cold for my "sleeping bag" I can just wear them and then crawl in to "double-up" on my cold weather gear. I also have a single one-man ten that could tightly fit both my wife and I...add water, change of clothes, e-tool, knife, rope, survival kit, first aid kit, a few days worth of food, radios, and other misc gear and it weighs roughly 40-45lbs. This is WITHOUT a gun or ammo mind you, so when I go running I try to wear my pack to strengthen up my back and shoulders for the weight it will have to carry.

Hey thanks for the responses guys....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads