JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
BCAF10AD-B1A2-4CCD-BBF9-3F944BCFAF5E.jpeg

My brother likes to fiddle with perfection. His T3 Superlite 7mm-08 shot my handloads into little bitty groups as a result of my seating depth test. Kilt a 6x5 bull and a pile of mulie bucks. Was that good enough?

Nope. He had to add a suppressor and the weight changed the barrel harmonics. Now it's MOA, instead of waaaay sub-MOA.

So I rolled another seating depth test for him today. 46.2 grains Big Game powder (as if there's another powder for the Mighty -08), WLRM, 3x Remington headstamp brass, neck sized only, seven different depths. I started at KISS and seated deeper by 0.04", with one deviation at factory OAL.

Gonna shoot tomorrow and we'll see what the (altered) rifle likes.

Both of my T3s (one stainless, the other a Superlite) shoot the same brass, same load (above, but 2.183") into groups so small I won't post pics for fear of seeming altogether boastful. Unlike my brother I am content with (near) perfection.

P

View attachment 889230

My brother likes to fiddle with perfection. His T3 Superlite 7mm-08 shot my handloads into little bitty groups as a result of my seating depth test. Kilt a 6x5 bull and a pile of mulie bucks. Was that good enough?

Nope. He had to add a suppressor and the weight changed the barrel harmonics. Now it's MOA, instead of waaaay sub-MOA.

So I rolled another seating depth test for him today. 46.2 grains Big Game powder (as if there's another powder for the Mighty -08), WLRM, 3x Remington headstamp brass, neck sized only, seven different depths. I started at KISS and seated deeper by 0.04", with one deviation at factory OAL.

Gonna shoot tomorrow and we'll see what the (altered) rifle likes.

Both of my T3s (one stainless, the other a Superlite) shoot the same brass, same load (above, but 2.183") into groups so small I won't post pics for fear of seeming altogether boastful. Unlike my brother I am content with (near) perfection.

P
.04" or .004"?

I was amazed at how much difference .005" change in depth could make.

Just for what its worth. Had to start new load development for several rifles with cans. In my case it was a change in velocity that tuned the harmonics back to accuracy. So you might consider varying the charge weights more than seating depth .... a chronograph is worth its weight for this testing. Good luck

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top