JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What's the difference between small base and full length? I presumed "Small Base" was just referring to the fact the die went all the way to where the webbing starts. Then there was a neck sizing only die, not generally used for semi auto fired brass.
FYI I've loaded for Garand and a Swede Mauser using full length dies.

Do I need to use small base dies to reload for the Garand. Any info will be appreciated.

You could.......IF you wanted to.

Know that SB dies are said to decrease brass life. The die is supposed to resize the brass to very tight dimensions (some say factory specs). Not exactly great for extreme accuracy. But good for functioning.

Think about it.....
You fire the cartridge. The brass expands to fill the chamber. Now, do the cycle (shoot it, reload the cartridge) a couple of times and yeah, the brass is doing a lot of stretching and being reformed/squeezed back again. The brass work hardens and the life is shortened.

But.....for some.....brass life ain't much of a big deal. They may just figure that it's the price you pay. Especially, since you're shooting an M1.

You could also extend the brass life by annealing. But, that's another subject. And, annealing is applying limited heat to the case neck. It's not about the entire body of the case (as in using a SB resizing die).

Anyway.....
I've found it unnecessary to use SB dies for reloading my semi-auto riles. I use my standard die set (full length resizing) to do my reloads for my M1. And.....I'm not expecting to be in the winners circle at Camp Perry.

Some may say to just neck size....whatever.

There are many ways to accomplish things.

Aloha, Mark

You could.......IF you wanted to.

Know that SB dies are said to decrease brass life. The die is supposed to resize the brass to very tight dimensions (some say factory specs). Not exactly great for extreme accuracy. But good for functioning.

Think about it.....
You fire the cartridge. The brass expands to fill the chamber. Now, do the cycle (shoot it, reload the cartridge) a couple of times and yeah, the brass is doing a lot of stretching and being reformed/squeezed back again. The brass work hardens and the life is shortened.

But.....for some.....brass life ain't much of a big deal. They may just figure that it's the price you pay. Especially, since you're shooting an M1.

You could also extend the brass life by annealing. But, that's another subject. And, annealing is applying limited heat to the case neck. It's not about the entire body of the case (as in using a SB resizing die).

Anyway.....
I've found it unnecessary to use SB dies for reloading my semi-auto riles. I use my standard die set (full length resizing) to do my reloads for my M1. And.....I'm not expecting to be in the winners circle at Camp Perry.

Some may say to just neck size....whatever.

There are many ways to accomplish things.

Aloha, Mark

After reviewing all the replies to my post it appears that most indicate that small base dies are not going to be needed. I feel that if proper care as to over all case length and just good loading practices are followed I should be fine with standard FL dies. I will go with this at least to start. If I can run into trouble, I can always change over later. Your response was certainly the most informative. I have been loading my own for over 65 years, but this is the first time I have needed to load for an automatic. I wouldn't be now if the son-in-law hadn't bought one of these. Many Thanks