JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I just won a S&W 625 on GB, now I need to know if there's any special tips/tricks/pitfalls to loading a semi-auto round for use in a revolver. Already know about moon clips and .45 AR brass, but now I'm wondering if anyone has any revolver specific pet loads, bullet choices, etc. And anyone with familiarity with this particular revolver would be especially helpful. Full details of the gun are 625-6 "Model of 1989", with the 5" barrel. Appreciate your suggestion or comments, later.

Dave

A good platform for a wide variety of loads.
One good place to start, is Bulls Eye in the lower published charge range. Hard to beat the old standard 230g hard ball round, and I prefer cast lead. 1) accurate; 2) more economical; 3) you'll find cast varieties from 165 on up to 300g; 4) stick with the basics until you're satisfied & looking for solution to an issue the basic load doesn't provide. IMHO.

At one point, I had geared up with 500 case of new AR brass. As it worked out, I discovered I actually preferred using moon clips/rimless acp more than anticipated.

Pretty much every 45acp load that works in JMB's 1911 will work in your S&W 625.
My preference would be to use 200 cast lead SWC's available everywhere. 4.0 grains of Bullseye is *the* classic load. 4.0 grains of RedDot, 4.0 of WST, 4.0 grains of 700X.....

Thanks, guys. It just so happens I have a bunch of 200 gr. SWC's over 4.0 gr. of Bullseye already loaded up, worked fine in my semi-autos but was kind of dirty. So this sounds like a good way to use them up :D. Have standardized on a 225 gr. coated TC over 5.1 gr. of Sport Pistol for my range load, still fairly soft shooting in my Sig, but definitely hotter than the Bullseye load. Guess I'll just try what I already have on hand and go from there. Later.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top