JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
can be a RPITA for a number of reasons, but the biggest one, for me, is trying to get a GOOD load of BP in that seemingly HUGE case.

The eponymous 70gr of FFg just ain't gonna happen, especially with modern cartridge cases and their somewhat rounded inner volumes. 60gr? Nope, even using a three-foot long drop tube.

How's about 55gr, then?

Hmmm, well, that almost fills the case and I have a 405gr bullet to get in there without necessarily crushing that powder load. Most mavens on the subject allow a compression of around 1/8th inch, but I'm aways from that right now.

Let's settle on 50gr - that at least allows me to get most of the bullet in, but even so, there's an awful lot of compression needed that I'm not happy about. At that point I went into the house, and made myself an instant coffee from a new jar, noting, as I did, how much that coffee had settled in the jar over time from vibration. At that moment, a little light came on in my otherwise empty head, and I hobbled upstairs to the bathroom and smuggled out a new electric toothbrush....you can see where I'm going, right?

I loaded up a measured 50gr of FFg, decanted it into the case via my three-foot long drop tube and then, carefully locating the case against my fingers, without holding it, I switched on the toothbrush and rested it against the case, moving it up and down as I did so against the case so that it really did vibrate.

Ten seconds of this, and I had the powder settled enough to be able to get that 1/8th inch compression, using a spare die and compression button, and load that 405gr bullet, seat it and apply a little crimp.

Job done.

tac

Good thinking. For volume loading look for one of those vibrating tin football fields we used to play with as kids. Instead of plastic players the offense and defense would be made up of rows of powder filled 45-70 soldiers.

We were too poor to have even a part-share in a vibrating tin football field. My favourite toy when I was a kid was a sugar mouse tail. The mouse had disappeared many years before, somewhere. I was left it when a pal went off to be a soldier and never returned. Them Boers was something fierce with their Mausers, y'know.

I kept it right up until I joined the Army, back in '67, and then I passed it on to another lucky guy.

My fifteen brothers and sisters and I shared the front cover of a kids' book called 'Topsy and Tim went to the...'. the rest was missing. What incredible adventures they must have had, going to the...whatever it was. A thousand stories all in one piece of book cover!!!

That must have been an early spur to my over-active imagination, you think?

tac

Ah. the wondrous joys of loading Black Powder Cartridges! LOL Yea, a Full and true 70 grains of the holy black is a pipe dream with todays powders, even making my own powder to a very consistent FFFg i'm extremely lucky to get 60 grains in the case after "tamping" said case on the loading deck! It's no wonder@ AndyinEverson has chosen to stick to loose charge front suffers compressed with a ram rod! The Man may be a genius after all!:D:p:D

@filsonhand - You ARE kidding, right?

upload_2018-8-14_20-52-9.png
upload_2018-8-14_20-53-3.png
upload_2018-8-14_20-53-37.png
upload_2018-8-14_20-57-34.png

tac

Last Edited:
50-55 grains was the issue load for the Cavalry Carbines...so there is that.
The brass cases nowadays are thicker and the powder may be a bit more "dense" as well...
So you would be lucky to get 60-65 grains or so in a modern brass case.
And with all that said...that is still a charge to be reckoned with.
Andy

I will use a loading block after using a drop tube (about 18") to add the powder. The case is pretty full but not over flowing. The vibration from the dryer allows the powder to settle and sometimes I add more powder and sometimes not. It's been awhile since I did this but it did work. I think I was able to get 60grs. in behind a 350gr. Lead Bullet. I did some 405gr. Bullets but I don't remember the charge of powder.

I will use a loading block after using a drop tube (about 18") to add the powder. The case is pretty full but not over flowing. The vibration from the dryer allows the powder to settle and sometimes I add more powder and sometimes not. It's been awhile since I did this but it did work. I think I was able to get 60grs. in behind a 350gr. Lead Bullet. I did some 405gr. Bullets but I don't remember the charge of powder.

Uh, you DID see my clothes dryer, right? :cool:

tac

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews