JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New to rifle reloading, I have done a lot of shot gun shells...
I am trying to work up loads for me and my son. I have a Remington 760 pump in 30-06 and he has a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 270. I would like to use the same powder and primers to keep it simple and efficient. For the 270 we are loading 140 gr Hornady Interlock bullets and for the 30-06 we have 180 Grain Bonded Polymer Tip Spitzer Boat Tail bullets from Midway. We will be hunting deer and hogs in Texas, with all shots under 250 yards. Does anyone have a suggestion of a powder that will work for both calibers? Any personal load reccomendations would also be appreciated.

H4831sc i use it for 140gr accubonds out of my 270 as for 30-06 theres good data for it

I think this will be one thing that always mystifies me (albeit, easily done). The load data from Hodgdon starts at 175gr for the 30-06 with H4831/sc, but goes all the way down to 110gr for the .270. Why the heck is it like that? Same with H1000. My .270 loves it, but it doesn't even show up for the 30-06 until 200gr. I know there are other examples out there, but this is so strange to me. It's the same case essentially, but the load data is so much different. H1000 in the 300 WM goes all the way down to 110gr, as does the H4831/sc, why is it so much different for the 30-06?

I think this will be one thing that always mystifies me (albeit, easily done). The load data from Hodgdon starts at 175gr for the 30-06 with H4831/sc, but goes all the way down to 110gr for the .270. Why the heck is it like that? Same with H1000. My .270 loves it, but it doesn't even show up for the 30-06 until 200gr. I know there are other examples out there, but this is so strange to me. It's the same case essentially, but the load data is so much different. H1000 in the 300 WM goes all the way down to 110gr, as does the H4831/sc, why is it so much different for the 30-06?
It has to do with what is termed "overbore" calibers. IOW, case capacity to bore diameter/area.
The larger the case capacity relative to the bore, the greater the pressure potential using fast(er) powders. So, to prevent overpressure, a slower powder, like H1000, RL22, Norma's MagPro etc. are used.
The 30-06 case, when used with a .30 cal bullet doesn't risk higher pressures when used with medium burn-rate powders, and light-mid weight bullets.
Load a 180 or 200 gr bullet in that '06 case and the pressure potential jumps up enough to warrant the slower powder.
When you try to shove that same pressure potential down a smaller bore, like a .270 or .25-06, and the pressure spikes dramatically, even with lighter slugs.

This involves the bore being the "expansion chamber" that the charge expands into as the bullet proceeds down the bore.
Generally speaking, the larger the bore, the greater the bore volume (the larger the expansion chamber) and the faster powder you can get away with, and allow the powder charge to reach it's full potential.
The '06 case works well on the .338-06 and .35 Whelen using BLC2 for instance, but BLC2 isn't recommended/suitable for the 25-06, even though it's the same cartridge case, and shoots much smaller, lighter slugs.
The other factor is that slower powders need higher pressures to burn efficiently, as most slow powders rely heavily on r-e-t-a-r-d-ers like graphite to slow down their burn.
Inadequate pressures cause a loss of efficiency, and therefore tend to burn "dirty," leaving lots of carbon (graphite) behind.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top