JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Financially, no, unless you plan on shooting tens of thousands of rounds.
Spiritually, depends on your makeup. If you think Yoga and meditation are a waste of time, reloading for 223 is too.

Become one with your bullet, Grasshopper....

I shoot bulk out of my AR pick up the brass and reload it for my target rifle. I cant see spending my time reloading for the AR since the rounds get shot too fast.

Then just get a "faster press". My Dillon XL650 has paid for itself at least twice, maybe more. It's a simple formula. A .223 round from the factory will cost on average $0.50 each ($500/thousand if you can get it today). A reloaded round from my press costs me under $0.20 each.

If you'd rather spend all that extra money on factory ammo, great. For those that want some "straight poop", visit Dillon's website and see how many rounds you'll have to load to pay for any one of their progressives. The number is a lot smaller than you think.

Of course one DOES have to have some bucks to put into the press. Those who are "anti-reloading" always seem to have enough to put into expensive ammo though.

BTW, Reloaders who tend to keep a fair supply of components on hand aren't suffering today with the shortages. Those who claimed "reloading doesn't pay" are the ones scavenging for something to shoot today.

I have been using a single stage for years. I had a Dillon 550 fall into my lap. didn't care for it. My buddy bought it and loves it. I enjoy taking my time and weighing every round for more precise loads. To each his own. My AR,s SKS's and Ak are the only guns that shoot factory ammo.

I have always used my RCBS Rockchucker single stage press to load rifle ammo, but I do love the Dillon RL-550B for loading quantities of 9mm, .357, or .44 Mag. The key for the Dillon is to have a standardized load that you have settled on. IF you are going to be constantly experimenting with different powders, bullets or charge weights, you are just as well to run a single stage press.
I tried loading some .223 on the Dillon, but just didn't like it as well. Charging powder into lubricated cases just didn't seem right. And running all of the cases into a single stage press to resize and deprime, then remove case lube, measure and trim if required only to then use the Dillon to prime, charge and seat bullets seemed like it wasn't any faster really than a single stage press. Plus less control since you almost had to use a ball powder for the powder measure to throw accurately enough for precision shooting.
Still use the Dillon for 9mm, and may just get it set up for a .357 load once I figure out what my new GP-100 prefers, and can acquire sufficient components to load some volume for it.

From what I'm reading here and other places it seems that there is the financial savings for those of us who load a lot but the amount of time spentwith case prep and the extra steps needed for rifle vs handgun loading is what it really comes down to. I currently use a Dillon 550 but will be upgrading to either a 650 or just bite the bullet and get the big 1050 which should make things go a lot easier.

. Charging powder into lubricated cases just didn't seem right. And running all of the cases into a single stage press to resize and deprime, then remove case lube, measure and trim if required only to then use the Dillon to prime, charge and seat bullets seemed like it wasn't any faster really than a single stage press.

When the subject of reloading for .223/5.56mm comes up it should almost be divided into two categories for discussion. Bolt action and Semi's like the AR or Mini-14 are totally different when it comes to volume of ammo and desireable powders.

Focusing on volume, when I load .223, first I never just prep a few hundred cases and then load. It's more like prep several thousand at a time and box them up for future use. When .223 brass comes home it gets a quick cleaning to knock off dirt. It's then lubed with Hornady One-Shot and it goes through the 650 with a universal de-priming die, gets sized and trimmed with a Rapid trim, and in the last station a mandrel expander die is installed.

The Brass will then get boxed for future use if fairly shiny or cleaned in stainless steel pin media if not.

When I'm ready to load, the cases that weren't cleaned in the SS Pins still don't have to have lube removed because the Hornady One-shot has dried into a film that doesn't bother the powder or anything else. I load primer tubes in advance so I can load almost 1,000 finished rounds in an hour.

If you shoot lots of .223 the key is in the prep and it's not that bad if you have two tool heads set up for the two separate operations, prep and loading.

If you have a bolt action and only shoot a box of 20 or so every few weeks, a progressive isn't "in your network". A single stage can more than provide for those needs. Still, one can save more than enough to offset the cost of a basic setup, even quicker in conditions like exist today.

I can reload match quality 5.56 w/ once-fired brass for less than 25 cents/round...that's less than $5/box of 20. You do the math...the only other cost is my time. If I load on my progressive, I can easily load 200 rounds/hr including case lubing and cleanup. If I load single-stage, it's about half as fast for me...still a bargain in my book.

For me, it's a no-brainer, and while everyone is tearing their hair out looking for factory ammo (at ANY price), I have plenty of components to last me through any shortage...at least till the next election anyway.

If I load on my progressive, I can easily load 200 rounds/hr including case lubing and cleanup.

What do you do? Take a bunch of coffee breaks? :cool:

My 650 "output" is close to 500 per. I use "spare time" to prep cases all year in small batches and right now have between 8 and 10K sitting in boxes waiting for "assembly". Also took some advice when I bought my press and loaded up on primer tubes. 10 per size sure speeds up the process by eliminating breaks:eek: Well at least all those not dictated by "nature".

Right on with the having ammo when the shelves are bare.

What do you do? Take a bunch of coffee breaks? :cool:

My 650 "output" is close to 500 per. I use "spare time" to prep cases all year in small batches and right now have between 8 and 10K sitting in boxes waiting for "assembly". Also took some advice when I bought my press and loaded up on primer tubes. 10 per size sure speeds up the process by eliminating breaks:eek: Well at least all those not dictated by "nature".

Right on with the having ammo when the shelves are bare.

I'm factoring in case prep time, which can be significant...full-length sizing, trimming, primer pocket prep, neck chamfer, lube, prime, etc.

In actual practice, I'll generally have about 500 rifle cases fully prepped and ready to go...in that case, about 500 rounds/hr is right when using my progressive. Currently 5.56 is the only rifle round I load on my progressive, all other rifle calibers I load single stage. I tend to prep my rifle cases during the winter so I have a season's worth of prepped brass ready to load. I also have 10 ea primer tubes in large and small primer sizes filled at all times.

My 650 "output" is close to 500 per

I currently use a 550 and am considering a 650 or 1050 for .223. If you have the auto case feeder, prepped cases and filled primer tubes your top output is approx 500 per hr? I'm considering the 1050 since it has a built in swagger and I think there is enough stations that I can put their case trimmer on one of them. If not I'll look at a 650 and have to factory in the added case prep time.

If you have the auto case feeder, prepped cases and filled primer tubes your top output is approx 500 per hr?

According to my "Press Monitor" I'm able to load at a far faster rate than that but I prefer not to. My arm gets tired:cool:

With a 650 it's very realistic to be able to get close to 1k per hour with small cases but an issue with .223 is the small neck size which limits the rate the powder can flow into it from the dispenser. Start going too fast and you'll have powder spilling. Even with a 1050 when loading .223. The built in swaging feature is nice but I personally can't see the justified cost. I bought a Super Swage and swage the pockets during the first processing session. They only have to be done once.

Ok thanks. Yeah I did the math and I can buy a decked out 650 with 2 complete caliber conversions. A super swager and case trimmer and get an auto case feeder for my 550 for less then price of a 1050.

Well, in my case I'm retired, so spending time at the bench is a pleasure I do not wish to deny myself. Saving money is very nice of course, but listening to country music in the backround, my wife and cats checking in on me once in a while, making my own rounds (with a 550 Dillon...I may be retired, but not stupid!) and stocking the safe with ammo is my idea of a good afternoon. And of course, when it comes time to head to the range I am not concerned with how many rounds to shoot, as I have the capacity to make more. Components remain an issue, but I stocked up during good times and I can weather this shortage period, I hope.

I believe it comes down to mindset. As I have stated before reloading should be undertaken as an extension of your interest in firearms and NOT as just a cost saving venture because any 'saving' tends to be absorbed by more shooting and more reloading equipment which is a almost a certainty as one who reloads often is always changing and evolving into new calibers, processes, easier and faster ways of doing things and this typically means always needing a new this or that to add to your ever growing reloading bench. Reloading is not something you just 'do' as a chore to save money. You either like it or not. There does not seem to be many in the middle on this. Everyone I know who reloads is into it full - tilt. Those I know who tried it and were not interested beyond saving money either sold or traded off their equipment.

I don't look at reloading as a chore, but more of a hobby that I can use for "me time" and the kids don't bother me. I think I've decided on upgrading my Dillon 550 and adding a 650 to the mix for .40's and .223's with the super swage and use my 550 for everything else. Minus my target loads of course, those are single stage press. I can case prep a thousand cases or so then when it's time to reload flip on the case feeder and go to town. I think that'll be the best way to combine hobby with overall savings.

I don't look at reloading as a chore, but more of a hobby that I can use for "me time" and the kids don't bother me.

I'm retired and the kids have been out of the house for years now. My wife considers my reloading hobby "HER" time. She'll say to me "don't you have some reloading to do" when she wants me out of her hair.:s0114:

I am now starting to teach the grandkids how to reload, including my granddaughter. To me, even if commercial ammo was half the cost of handloaded, passing this "skill" on to another generation is "Priceless":s0155:

Prior to the madness

8 cents for a steel core 62 grain bullet

2 cents for a primer

Powder, 22 to 24 grains.. 7000 grains to a lb

You do the math

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR