JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I load lots of handgun and target/hunting ammo but wondering if delving into 223/556 for my AR would be worth it. Im not talking about target ammo im talking about just your regular drive up to the mountains and blow off 500 round of"plinkin" ammo. I already use a dillon so speed of loading isnt the issue. Im just wondering from some of you who already load 223/556 if its cost effective? How much saved over 1000 rounds? Etc... Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If you can find powder, bullets and primers at a reasonable price then yes. Otherwise, if paying California gun show prices for components, it's cheaper to buy remanufactured ammo outside of Cali.

If you can find powder, bullets and primers at a reasonable price then yes. Otherwise, if paying California gun show prices for components, it's cheaper to buy remanufactured ammo outside of Cali.

Yeah I refuse to take part of the hyper inflated fear induced price gouging. I mean I'm all for capitalism but I draw the line at ripping people off. I will look for deals and be patient, I'm guessing by mid to late summer things will be back to normal. Thanks

Thanks for the link. Based on what I paid for my components, my .223 Remington ammo with 40 gr Hornady Z-Max, Wolf 223 primers and 27.5 gr of Ramshot TAC with my fired factory brass works out to a cost of $3.60 per box of 20, or $9.00 per box of 50. Hmmm, just about what I paid for my last order of Winchester Supreme .17 HMR at dealer cost. I have found it pays to buy in bulk whenever you find a bargain on powder, bullets or primers since properly stored in a temperature controlled environment they last almost indefinitely.

Because I really stocked up on components including brass at regular, pre panic prices, I can reload 55 gr fmj or 55 gr psp for about 30 cents a round. I got a deal on 5,000 55 gr psp brand name .224 bullets on Gunbroker a few years back and they last a long time as just hunting bullets.

I bought powders in 4 and 8 pound containers, and CCI primers 10,000 at a time for $29 a thousand. Even jhp pistol bullets were bought in bulk, 3,000 at a time. They are Speer. FMJ are Montana Gold.

I have so may loaded rounds that I am actually considering selling all of my equipment and components. I can't shoot all of the factory and reloaded ammo I have already done in a lifetime. Also, reloading is fun until you've done a "million" of them, and then it's just a chore for me.

powder valley is cheap on powder and primers, but you have to order in bulk to keep hazmatt from increasing the price too much. for plinking rounds you can keep it cheap and buy bulk in what ever you can find. some times I can get a great deal at widners

I have so may loaded rounds that I am actually considering selling all of my equipment and components. I can't shoot all of the factory and reloaded ammo I have already done in a lifetime. Also, reloading is fun until you've done a "million" of them, and then it's just a chore for me.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, PM me if your interested in getting rid of anything.

powder valley is cheap on powder and primers, but you have to order in bulk to keep hazmatt from increasing the price too much. for plinking rounds you can keep it cheap and buy bulk in what ever you can find. some times I can get a great deal at widners

Thanks, it seems like it'll be worth it. I just wanted some input before I put the money into switching my machine over and everything.

If starting ANEW.@ reloading, Remember there's more to putting a few componets together..

Reloading books.. sure you can get the data on line.. keep your wi-fi laptop handy..

Primer flipper tray, slam hammer for pulling apart mistakes, case gauges to check round size and shape, powder scale, plus the reloader..just for starts..

Panic prices are much higher now, but I can reload 55gr FMJ for about $3.60/20 as well

In the past year prior to the panic started some great deals on components were to be had. Lots of guys I know thought that loading bulk .223 was a waste of time cause they didn't want to invest in the brass prep.

My current cost on components based on the my buys from last year...
Wolf primers $15 per 1000
Ramshot TAC 32lbs for $104 per keg. 24.5g per round
6000 55g hornaday FMJBT for $450 from Wideners

Puts me at 13 cents a round, my brass was all free.

I got tired of reloading it on a single stage press and sold all of my brass and bullets. From now on I'll just shoot the cheap steel cased 55 grain crap through my AR15. If I had a .223 bolt gun I'd probably reload for it since good hunting and target ammo is expensive.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top