JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I looked in several of my books and at Hodgdon's load data and then at the bullets I have on hand. For my 300 WM I chose 180 gr Nosler Accubonds sitting on top of 73 &75 gr of the MP689. And for my .270 I went with 53.5 & 55.5 gr behind 150 gr Hornady SP. Tomorrow I will see how they are on paper and run them through my chronograph. I will post results when I get back.

Interested in your findings. What is this powder supposed to replicate, or is it a different animal unto itself altogether?

It is supposed to be "similar" to IMR 7828. It is my understanding that they buy over run powders and rebrand them. They do not have permission/license to sell 7828 so they say it is similar.

Too windy to go out today, try for tomorrow. I did try to call them but they didn't answer and the "mailbox" was full. I will try email and see if I get a response.

Weather is still crappy, so haven't been to the range. But I DID get a response from them regarding the DANGEROUS load data on their site and the jug. Here is what they said;

Edward,

You are correct and we will fix that issue along with letting other customers know. Please use IMR 7828 data and not the one on the jug.

So I'm thinking it was simply a mistake on their part.

Weather is still crappy, so haven't been to the range. But I DID get a response from them regarding the DANGEROUS load data on their site and the jug. Here is what they said;

Edward,

You are correct and we will fix that issue along with letting other customers know. Please use IMR 7828 data and not the one on the jug.

So I'm thinking it was simply a mistake on their part.
Dang that's a pretty big error. What was your reward for raising awareness to this error;)

Well, the wind finally settled down and I was able to get to the range to shoot my test loads. :)
I had loaded two different loads for two different calibers, using data for IMR7828. Rather than lump it all in one post, I will do a separate post for each caliber. To make things easier for ME to follow.

The first caliber was .270 Win, shot from my Sako Finnbear.
I used Hornady 150 gr SP, CCI LRP and 5 Hornady & 5 Winchester brass (normally I don't mix my brass, but these were handy at the time). The bullets were set to the cannular @ 3.2050, rather than the book's listing of 3.320. I discovered this error after my third round and decided to load them all at that length.
The first load was 53.5 gr My book said it should have a velocity of 2612fps, my average for 5 shots was 2644fps.
The second load was 55.5 gr showing a velocity of 2737fps, my avg for 5 rounds was 2761.
I had some flattening of the primer. I attribute that and the higher average velocities to my seating the bullets too deep. Neither load grouped all that well.
Bottom line on this one is I didn't kill myself, they did all hit the paper reasonably close to POA, but because of my error in seating depth I will try this one again later.

My second caliber was .300 Win Mag from my Ruger M77 MKii.
180gr Nosler Accubond, Winchester LRMP, and BLH brass( was told it was Black Hills, but that is not their head stamp). COAL was 3.330 as per my Nosler book.
First load was 73.0gr. Book shows a velocity of 2905fps. My average for 5 shots was 2872fps. and the grouping was fair.
Second was 75.0gr with a book vel. of 2988fps. My average for 5 rounds was 2980fps. The Nosler book said this was the most accurate load for this powder, and my grouping showed promise.
I will continue to work with this powder, but I would say that, yes, it is "similar" to IMR7828.
I think next will be some loads for my .338 Win Mag.

My second caliber was .300 Win Mag from my Ruger M77 MKii.
180gr Nosler Accubond, Winchester LRMP, and BLH brass( was told it was Black Hills, but that is not their head stamp). COAL was 3.330 as per my Nosler book.
First load was 73.0gr. Book shows a velocity of 2905fps. My average for 5 shots was 2872fps. and the grouping was fair.
Second was 75.0gr with a book vel. of 2988fps. My average for 5 rounds was 2980fps. The Nosler book said this was the most accurate load for this powder, and my grouping showed promise.
I will continue to work with this powder, but I would say that, yes, it is "similar" to IMR7828.
I think next will be some loads for my .338 Win Mag.
Thanks for the reports. Hopefully you can find some loads that group better with the powder.

The first caliber was .270 Win, shot from my Sako Finnbear.
I used Hornady 150 gr SP, CCI LRP and 5 Hornady & 5 Winchester brass (normally I don't mix my brass, but these were handy at the time). The bullets were set to the cannular @ 3.2050, rather than the book's listing of 3.320. I discovered this error after my third round and decided to load them all at that length.
The first load was 53.5 gr My book said it should have a velocity of 2612fps, my average for 5 shots was 2644fps.
The second load was 55.5 gr showing a velocity of 2737fps, my avg for 5 rounds was 2761.
I had some flattening of the primer. I attribute that and the higher average velocities to my seating the bullets too deep. Neither load grouped all that well.
Bottom line on this one is I didn't kill myself, they did all hit the paper reasonably close to POA, but because of my error in seating depth I will try this one again later.

Kinda slow, isn't it? I just got a jug of RL26. Buddy is getting 3000 with a 150gr partition.

I really wouldn't know. I don't generally pay any attention to velocity. I only ran it this time to compare to the load data of a powder that is "similar". I followed the data for IMR7828, so I compared it to that powders velocity. If it was INDEED 7828, I wouldn't have bothered with the chronograph. If my book says this load will give me x fps, I really don't care if I'm actually 50 fps faster or slower.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top