JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is my first post or question as a member so please be patient w/me.

Just wondering if I can keep rounds in my rifle, in the case in back seat w/ action open? No round chambered of course. BTW I am in Oregon.

Well are you talking about a bolt action or a semi auto rifle? I keep my loaded mags and ar15 in one case in my back seat. All though the mag is not in the gun itself. I keep shells in my shotgun case with the shotgun too whenever I am on my way to the range. I think that's fine since they're both long guns. I am not sure about the legality of when the mags/ shells are in and ready though. I always keep them unloaded just to be safe

Well from reading these questions on here before,I don't believe it's a problem in Oregon at all.I believe you can have the rifle loaded. BELIEVE I'm saying
Now in Washington,you CAN NOT have a bullet in the chamber or the magazine (bolt action) or a detachable type magazine in the gun while in the vehicle.

But most CCP only refer to handguns (washington for sure)

This is my first post or question as a member so please be patient w/me.

Just wondering if I can keep rounds in my rifle, in the case in back seat w/ action open? No round chambered of course. BTW I am in Oregon.

It all depends on the accessibility of the weapon to the driver and I don't think it's going to be a black and white answer unfortunately. I'd say you'd be okay if the case was secured, like zipped shut or the latches latched. Now, if you're talking an SBR in the case sitting in the rear passenger foot well open, I would say that isn't okay. Again, if you get a cop who's an *** and you decide you want to be an *** too, I could see it going badly, but that is an extreme case. I think the debate would be what is accessible and what isn't.

For more info look up ORS 166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms. ORS 166 in it's entirety

Pay attention to

(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

(b) If a vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:

(A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and

(B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

(5) Unlawful possession of a firearm is a Class A misdemeanor

Strangely it doesn't mention anything about rifles.

Rifles are not mentioned because the law does not apply to them. You can carry a rifle loaded to the brim, under your seat, on your seat , or where ever you like. This does not apply to ORV's as you can not carry ammo in your rifle while on a 4-wheeler or side by side. Unfortunately I have first hand experience with this. Obviously I do not recommend carrying a round in your chamber, but is is legal as to my experience. This is Oregon as well, I have no knowledge of other states take on it.

Oregon does not have a Concealed Weapons Permit. Oregon has a Concealed HANDGUN Permit. It does not cover rifles, shotguns, knives, or any other weapon you might like to hide on your person.

Have I missed something??? I have been stopped by are boys in blue ..With a loaded handgun and rifles on the seat ....Anyway long story short if it is not concealed in vehicle in plain sight you are not breaking the law...Salem ,portland and I beleive independence have no carry law.

Oregon does not have a Concealed Weapons Permit. Oregon has a Concealed HANDGUN Permit. It does not cover rifles, shotguns, knives, or any other weapon you might like to hide on your person.

He isn't talking about hiding it "on his person" but in the back seat.

As oa98pistol512 wrote,so have many others on here in different threads.

Well from reading these questions on here before,I don't believe it's a problem in Oregon at all.I believe you can have the rifle loaded. BELIEVE I'm saying
Now in Washington,you CAN NOT have a bullet in the chamber or the magazine (bolt action) or a detachable type magazine in the gun while in the vehicle.

But most CCP only refer to handguns (washington for sure)

Unless they have changed the law recently you CAN have loaded detachable mags with but not IN the gun in WA State. However we are not deemed responsible enough to have a loaded chamber or non detachable mag

Rifles are not mentioned because the law does not apply to them. You can carry a rifle loaded to the brim, under your seat, on your seat , or where ever you like. This does not apply to ORV's as you can not carry ammo in your rifle while on a 4-wheeler or side by side. Unfortunately I have first hand experience with this. Obviously I do not recommend carrying a round in your chamber, but is is legal as to my experience. This is Oregon as well, I have no knowledge of other states take on it.

I wonder how (In OR/ID) something like a belt fed with an attached but not chambered ammo case/belt is viewed if mounted to an off road side by side rocker crawler? I am going to make one of the setups soon

I wonder how (In OR/ID) something like a belt fed with an attached but not chambered ammo case/belt is viewed if mounted to an off road side by side rocker crawler? I am going to make one of the setups soon

I'd have to say that's illegal. It would technically be the same as having a loaded mag in, but no round in the chamber, since the belt would have to sit on the feed tray and thats inside the weapon

In Washington, no loaded long gun is allowed in a vehicle, ever, not under any circumstance. F&W law/rule. Before you carry a loaded long gun in a vehicle in OR and ID you better check your F&W laws, not your firearms laws. Handgun/pistol permits have nothing to do with long guns.

In Washington, no loaded long gun is allowed in a vehicle, ever, not under any circumstance. F&W law/rule. Before you carry a loaded long gun in a vehicle in OR and ID you better check your F&W laws, not your firearms laws. Handgun/pistol permits have nothing to do with long guns.

Define loaded long gun please

Having a loaded rifle in a car may be legal in Oregon but why would you do it? They are quite awkward and long to use them as a defense weapon in a car. Also you pretty much have to cover something you do not intend to shoot because most rifles are too long to go in and out of a car strait up or strait down. You have a very high chance of accidentally shooting something or someone. I can understand a loaded mag none in the chamber but loaded chamber just seems bad.

Not exactly sure how your intending to go here.

In WA based on WA laws it would be legal for you to have the can (which is not a magazine) with a loaded belt (belt is the "feeding device") in the can mounted to the cradle. This would be no different then having a mag in a stock pouch or in a Redi-Mag holder on the gun (since it is not "inserted" in the firearm).

If you insert the belt (feeding device) into the firearm then it would be illegal.

Not exactly sure how your intending to go here.

In WA based on WA laws it would be legal for you to have the can (which is not a magazine) with a loaded belt (belt is the "feeding device") in the can mounted to the cradle. This would be no different then having a mag in a stock pouch or in a Redi-Mag holder on the gun (since it is not "inserted" in the firearm).

If you insert the belt (feeding device) into the firearm then it would be illegal.

Reference Post #14, as someone else was diligent enough to point out..... The (In OR/ID) portion

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top