JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just keep most of mine loaded with two rounds short. I make an exception for a couple of pistols that are both old and harder to find replacements for.
I've got to dig into my history and read about some of these battles!:p

Thanks for all the links, I was on my phone when I posted this and it sucks to search on the app. After reading everything, all my mags are fully loaded. [emoji106]

Now , I agree that the consensus is that keeping springs compressed for a long time is not detrimental.....

That being said , folks who complain that they find it difficult to fully load their new high cap mags ( the last round or two won't go in) are usually advised to load the mags as full as they can and keep them loaded for a couple of weeks ....and then they will be able to insert the last round or two. This is common advice and it does work......how can this be anything but spring fatigue ??

The person who finds the old classic car with 30,000 miles, sitting in a barn , covered with a tarp.....If you see one of these, the car is always sitting low on it's springs. When you restore on of these low mileage cars , you almost always need to replace the springs. This is on a car that has spent most of it's life sitting still, not bouncing and yet it's springs are fatigued....

I admit that I keep a few of my mags loaded ( for important work) but it still seems prudent to me to rotate my loaded mags every few months......jmo....mike;)

Last Edited:
Only mags I have found to get the last round in or so into are Glock. seems I am strong enough to get them into all of the others I have owned, but Glock.. I need hep

The worst thing you can do is fully compress a spring and leave it in that position for long periods of time. Consider that when loading mags for long term storage. I had a mag spring fail recently in a newer mag that had been loaded with 30 rounds for a couple years. I'm sure that was an anomaly and I would be chastised by the kiddies at arfkom for even mentioning it since fully loaded mags have been found in the great pyramid that still function fine.
They called them clips around the pyramids and the springs were bamboo

I do leave mine loaded but minus 2 rounds normally on everything I carry and my bedside gun. I sure do not want to be rushing to load mags if by chance the sh&# hit the fan.

Anyone worry about their trigger spring, buffer springs, or any of the other many springs in their weapon? why the constant magazine discussion/obsession?
Good question, but those springs are not under full compression like a fully loaded mag.

How many people have actually worn out a mag? I think my barrel will need replacement before my mag spring does.

I have worn out many mag springs, you just dont shoot enough:s0139: 3 were Sig 226 mags and at least 4 in my 1911 mags. When I have to upgrade springs in the 1911's I use Tripp Research Springs and followers. I will say that only the stock Colt mags and the McCormick mags have needed replacing but I have never had to replace a spring in a Wilson 47D mag

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top