JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do you keep some mags loaded or do you keep them all empty. I have heard keeping them loaded is bad for the spring but I would prefer to have some already loaded in case I ever need them fast.

So how about you guys, loaded or unloaded?

This is not a thread for carrying, this is for mags in safe or storage.

For something i use in my rotation more often like my AR and EDC, I will always have a mag or two "ready". Yes I've heard of the issues with springs but as far as I can tell a few months isn't going to hurt it, also about once a year i strip them down and extend the springs a little .... again doesn't hurt it. Also i'm almost positive that its the amount of work/use put into each mag that actually affects the integrity of the spring ..... my opinion .... leav'em loaded ;).

Store 'em loaded or unloaded. It's the working of the spring that wears them down (generally depending on what the spring is made of, etc., some are better). But in general, storing loaded mags will only weaken the spring some over time, but it will still function as it should. If you stored it empty, it would have a bit more strength but would lose that quickly as it was loaded and unloaded.

So using them, loading and unloading, that's what wears 'em down. That's why I have all my high caps and bubblegum stored up (most empty, few full) and I use my 10rd. Cliton mags for range practice as I don't mind wearing those out at all.

It's also a good idea to number or otherwise mark your mags so you know which ones work best, which ones are carry mags, range mags and which ones need to be replaced.

You are fine to leave them loaded. They will not fail you if you leave them that way.

I have never actually worn out a magazine spring. You could upgrade your springs, but the stock one work just fine. My old Govt' AR-15 mags work just as good as the Pmags I bought 2 weeks ago.

Pinky Swear.

People have found loaded mags from the Civil War that still work........:confused::D:rolleyes:o_O

So, as mentioned for the Billionth time..............it doesn't hurt to leave them loaded.....

I know right? I have a buddy that has the Glock Washington crossed the Delaware with and he says the mags still work great

I know right? I have a buddy that has the Glock Washington crossed the Delaware with and he says the mags still work great

In defense of what seams like a silly comment about Loaded magazines from the Civil war.

The Henry rifle has a spring driven magazine as does the Spencer rifle and carbine. Both used during the civil war.

The Henry rifle has a spring driven magazine as does the Spencer rifle and carbine. Both used during the civil war.

Weren't those the ones used during the Military career of Julius Caesar
in the rout of Pompey's numerically superior forces at Pharsalus during the Civil War, (what it is actually called), and the complete destruction of Pharnaces' army at Battle of Zela.

;):):s0090::s0092:

I wore out a mag spring once... it was from a 1970's era 30rd AR mag, it was used when I bought it in the 1990's. One day in the early 00's I was at the range, and loading with a stripper clip, and I pushed the rounds in, and as each round went down another bend on the spring broke.

I then replaced the magazine spring, and follower (it had the old shiny black phenolic follower) and it's been fine ever since.

If you're really worried about it, buy more mags. You can fit 28-32AR mags into a fat-fifty (PA108), mags are still relatively cheap by the case. I usually stay away from magpul mags (just don't like 'em, it's a personal thing).

Weren't those the ones used during the Military career of Julius Caesar
in the rout of Pompey's numerically superior forces at Pharsalus during the Civil War, (what it is actually called), and the complete destruction of Pharnaces' army at Battle of Zela.

;):):s0090::s0092:

No! You are mistaking it with the battle of Nearsalus!

The worst thing you can do is fully compress a spring and leave it in that position for long periods of time. Consider that when loading mags for long term storage. I had a mag spring fail recently in a newer mag that had been loaded with 30 rounds for a couple years. I'm sure that was an anomaly and I would be chastised by the kiddies at arfkom for even mentioning it since fully loaded mags have been found in the great pyramid that still function fine.

So you took the time to link 3 year old threads instead of just answering the guys question.....

I was bored and curious how many threads I could find on this subject in five minutes of looking.

I even made a genuine attempt to give the info without being snarky so he could read and make his own mind up because even though conventional wisdom says load em and leave em, I store the vast majority of mine unloaded, with a few loaded but two shy of capacity.

Is that cool?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top