JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got to think about the legal issues, or lack there off about having a loaded firearm in my car.
I got a CPL so the transporting part is covered, but my employer don't allow guns on there premises so I leave it in the glovebox. Same when hitting the bar afterwork!
But...
What would happen if my car get broken into and it's stolen...
Am I'm in trouble if loaded? Should I bring mags, ammo etc. with me? Same, same if it's not loaded?

no legal issues... i had 2 pistols stolen when my house got broke into... both were loaded... both were stashed by the bed... been 3 years ... 1 has been recovered (in Cali) and returned to me...

but if they break in and steal it your out a firearm...

so you leave your gun in a parked car when you go to work??? do you park on there property??? still breaking there rules...
carrying a gun when you go to a bar??? I take it your going there to drink???
do you think your in the right state of mind to handle a firearm after having a few drinks???

Legal issues? How about just some little kid, a LEO or your Grandmother gets killed with your stolen gun? Heck with legal issues! If you cant secure it leave it home!

What if someone steals your car stereo and then uses the money to buy a gun and then kills someone? Stop trying to lay blame on victims for the actions of criminals.

To the OP, buy a safe for your car. It is fine to leave your gun loaded in your vehicle. It is your private property and you have the right to assume it will not be violated...but it pays to take the most basic of precautions such as locking it up. here is a video of the most recent safe I installed in my vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Playboy! If that held, why not just check the insurance and forget having a gun safe? Stop equating negligent firearms safety with being a victim!

Got to think about the legal issues, or lack there off about having a loaded firearm in my car.
I got a CPL so the transporting part is covered, but my employer don't allow guns on there premises so I leave it in the glovebox. Same when hitting the bar afterwork!
But...
What would happen if my car get broken into and it's stolen...
Am I'm in trouble if loaded? Should I bring mags, ammo etc. with me? Same, same if it's not loaded?

You are not liable if someone steals your gun, or your car, and misuses it. Don't worry about that part. To be legal it only needs to be stored out of sight. You do need to evaluate what the probability of your car getting broken into is in that parking lot though...If an auto break-in has happened to anyone before in that lot, for any reason, I would consider a very strong safe, bolted to the frame of the car.

Personally, I do not leave a gun in my car...not because I am afraid of what might happen after it is stolen, I just don't want any of my guns to go missing for any reason. I also do not want any chance that someone might try break into my car because they know I carry, and they know I am not armed.

I never had your problem at work, I allowed myself (and anyone working for me) to carry if they wanted...and everyone knows where my carry is...it's openly carried on my hip where it belongs.

My personal thing in your case would be...if someone knows you carry, and asks where it is...just say it is locked up.

so you leave your gun in a parked car when you go to work??? do you park on there property??? still breaking there rules...
carrying a gun when you go to a bar??? I take it your going there to drink???
do you think your in the right state of mind to handle a firearm after having a few drinks???
I would check your employers policies, you could be breaking their rules, but you are not breaking the law. As playboy said your car is you personal property and as such they are not allowed to search it. Now if brought your gun into the building and put it in a locker that's a different story.
And as for the bar part thats why he leaves it in his car!
My work is the same way and I asked about this and they said as long as the weapon does not enter the building they are fine with it.

I would check your employers policies, you could be breaking their rules, but you are not breaking the law. As playboy said your car is you personal property and as such they are to allowed to search it. Now if brought your gun into the building and put it in a locker that's a different story.
And as for the bar part thats why he leaves it in his car!
My work is the same way and I asked about this and they said as long as the weapon does not enter the building they are fine with it.

What LAW says any employer can search my car...even if it is on their property? A law like that Doesn't exist, sorry.

Playboy! If that held, why not just check the insurance and forget having a gun safe? Stop equating negligent firearms safety with being a victim!

Do you really want to stand by such a simple minded position as this weak argument? You really can't tell the difference between taking simple precautions and living in fear? You can't tell the difference between enacting reasonable protections and altering your life because of being afraid of the consequences of your actions? You can't tell the difference between locking something up because you don't want to go to the hassle of replacing it and telling someone they should feel bad if someone misuses their stolen property?

Guys, a simple USGI ammo can and a sturdy steel cable routed thru steel fixtures in your trunk (for a spare handgun) will deter most robbers..

Do you really want to stand by such a simple minded position as this weak argument? You really can't tell the difference between taking simple precautions and living in fear? You can't tell the difference between enacting reasonable protections and altering your life because of being afraid of the consequences of your actions? You can't tell the difference between locking something up because you don't want to go to the hassle of replacing it and telling someone they should feel bad if someone misuses their stolen property?

I'm big on locking things up but there's a limit to your responsibility after the fact. I have personally learned that even if you lock something up it can still be stolen

Car safes sound like a great idea. Have you ever considered just concealing your weapon at work so nobody can see it? Is there a dress code like suit and tie? (Easy concealment!) This is the Pacific Northwest, cannot you just go buy a nice looking vest like a Marmot and wear it over your work clothing. Nobody will see your firearm in this case unless you tell them. This has worked for me for years and I carry a full size S&W M&P 9mm IWB on my hip in many places were guns are probably not respected (and possibly hated), yet nobody has said a word. The best bet is to get a good vest (not a hunter vest) at REI or another store that sells columbia, Marmot, Mountain Hardware, etc and use it to conceal. You could even get bit fancy and get one of more upscale and dressy vests. I went to Dillards last year and have a very nice designer brand vest that retails for $150. I also bought a nice Pendleton for about $60 which also looks appealing. Everyone talks about how nice I look, little do they know what inspired me to be a vest wearer.

Carrying a gun is your Constitutional Right and if nobody is complaining, then why not exercise it? Think of it this way, if you ever have to use your firearm in self-defense, you will probably undergo more pain and suffering with the legal system then you will undergo if somebody catches you carrying at work. If getting reprimanded at work is your fear, why carry at all, considering the risks of carrying a firearm anyway?

P.S. I have very little respect for employers who disregard the rights of their employees to defend themselves against bodily harm. E.g. The Autozone incident.

Stuff you with your simple minded! You keep ranting property, property, like a darned parrot! It's a loaded firearm! Have you ever heard of a MORAL OBLIGATION! I guess you will probably never get it. You should feel very bad if someone manages to steal your gun! Not so much your danged hammer or what ever.

Stuff you with your simple minded! You keep ranting property, property, like a darned parrot! It's a loaded firearm! Have you ever heard of a MORAL OBLIGATION! I guess you will probably never get it. You should feel very bad if someone manages to steal your gun! Not so much your danged hammer or what ever.

Lucky here in OR we have very few restrictions on where you can carry and my work doesn't have a weapons policy so I carry all the time; however, I have a question for you. Do you ever go to restricted location during the day. Say you are out at work and you need to run by the Post Office or that you have to go in for jury duty. Do you leave the gun at home all day?

At least the OP is asking the questions and is willing to listen to advice. I have a safe that is secured to my vehicle with a heavy cable for when I have to leave my gun in the truck for legal reasons. I do admit that if there is a determined thief that the safe will like be taken though. Does that make me irresponsible? To me it just means that I have done all that I can do to mitigate the potential of my gun being stolen. And since we are blaming everyone but the thief here, why don't we just blame the governments and companies that but in place rules that force us to remove the gun from our person?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top