JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I have a CHL. I knows it is legal for me to keep a loaded handgun locked in a small safe under the seat in my car, but would it be legal for my wife to drive the car with out a CHL? My understanding is that it would be because the gun is locked with out the key in the lock.

What about traveling in Washington with it loaded in the safe? I currently don't have a license for WA.

You need to check each states laws. I doubt thatit would be legal for some one with out a permit to be driving around with a load handgun in anything with out being licensed to.
Just my thougjts about it.

IANAL (every time I see that acronym I think "I anal" instead of I am not a lawyer :D )

But my understanding is that if the firearm is in a locked container and unloaded then passengers and driver do not need a CHL?

But the container cannot be the glove compartment?

If the firearm is in the trunk or otherwise separate from the passenger compartment, then everybody is fine. Again, not sure about it being loaded though.

This is of interest to me because my daily driver is an SUV and technically the only part of it that is separate from the passenger compartment is the engine compartment. The cargo space has dividers, but a passenger, if they tried hard enough, could get into the cargo compartment from the passenger compartment.

I have a CHL. I knows it is legal for me to keep a loaded handgun locked in a small safe under the seat in my car, but would it be legal for my wife to drive the car with out a CHL? My understanding is that it would be because the gun is locked with out the key in the lock.

What about traveling in Washington with it loaded in the safe? I currently don't have a license for WA.

RCW 9.41.050
RCW 9.41.050: Carrying firearms.

My understanding of ORegon law is that an adult, for whom it is legal to possess a firearm, can, without a CHL, have a loaded or unloaded handgun in a vehicle if it is in the open and visible.

However, individual municipalities can have restrictions on whether you can have a loaded firearm in a public place (including a vehicle) if you do not have a CHL.

Not sure about long guns; I was under the impression that there is a hunting regulation that long guns cannot be in a vehicle while it was moving - but I could be wrong about that.

If you have a CHL, then that overrides the requirement for open carry in a vehicle and the ability of a municipality to control open carry.

Since NWFA isn't in the business of offering legal advice we'd recommend consulting an attorney...thread closed.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top