JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am new to reloading and just bought some Rainier 135 Grain FP copper plated in .40 Cal. I am having a little diffucultly in finding load data and thought I would throw it out there for suggestions.

Thanks.

I plan on using these with a Glock model 22, mainly for plinking and possibly USPSA matches.

Are you using the factory barrel? I dont load plated for any poly rifled guns, but you might want to look into if it is safe or not to shoot plated through it, because I've read some things that say the plating builds up in the rifling on glocks and other poly rifled barrels, just like lead, and can cause a Kaboom. I don't know if this is true or not, but just something you may want to look into if you're using the factory barrel.

Thanks for the info. I knew about the lead in the poly riflings but thought/was hoping the copper plated would solve that problem. I will look into it b4 blowing up my barrel.

There is some good info. on the hodgdon webpage, thanks.

Dang. I have to buy at least decent quality bullets. They don't cost that much more and when you consider all of your work starting with the tumbler and case trimmer and reamer, and then adding your primers and powder, a few cents per bullet just doesn't seem worth it to me. ??

I also won't buy off-brand defensive bullets. I could/won't buy Montana Gold JHP 9mm for $100 per k, because if I watch long enough on gunbroker and local stores and online, I can buy 1k of top notch Speer or Hornady etc JHP for $160 or so per k. That's $.06 per round more and I may be betting my life on the bullet performance?

Just my stupid opinion. :D

$.02

Glock 40s and copper plated bullet stories are like Beretta slide breaking. It just isn't a problem if you read and do it right.

I have been reloading my GL27 with Berrys and Rainers for some time now. The barrel doesn't even get dirty much less fouled. First they recommend to us lead loading data or minus ten percent, and around 1000 fps the jacket can start ripping. Just look for un-round holes in the target.

My 40 reload is Hodgdon "Clays", 135gr Berrys, Wolffs 12# recoil spring. Nice soft recoil, 3/4" at 50ft. on a rest, CHEEP, fun to shoot and reload. Just look online at Hodgdon load data <broken link removed>.

As far as reloading for a glock 40. Glock doesn't recommend it, and it is not a good idea to shoot lead either. Thousand of people are doing it successful, Its up to you???? IMHO

Later I'm heading to the range to shoot some copper plated in my "40."

Jim:)

I didn't say practice, only the real thing. ANd I haven't had to shoot or scare away anyone lately, Have you? So, a box for reliablity check and one for use: cheap insurance.

I didn't say practice, only the real thing. ANd I haven't had to shoot or scare away anyone lately, Have you? So, a box for reliablity check and one for use: cheap insurance.

Oh, my bad. Sure, if a guy's only going to own two boxes of ammo, no problem. One to check the gun, one to shoot people. :D :s0155:

Louis Awerbuck once said "Don't put ---- on your carry gun," that includes reloads. That being said I did work up a 180 Gr HP plated load for Cougar's that seem to frequent my central Oregon lake of choice. That one kicks like a mule and hits real hard in my 27.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top