JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So one thing to note, if you have wind it can play havoc with measuring out loads. Reloading in my buddies garage with the door open made that clear more than once.
How was this happening? Blowing powder around or not allowing the scale (if a beam style) to NOT settle?

You must have had a lot of wind coming in the garage!

How was this happening? Blowing powder around or not allowing the scale (if a beam style) to NOT settle?

Overly sensitive electronic scale, thing needs to warm up for several minutes but that wind would keep it from giving a steady reading. so the powder was not blown around, the wind just messed with the readings.

Even a draft can mess with a digital scale. I don't trust them myself, but I know a couple of guys that do all their reloading with one.

Overly sensitive electronic scale, thing needs to warm up for several minutes but that wind would keep it from giving a steady reading. so the powder was not blown around, the wind just messed with the readings.
They're also sensitive to temperature fluctuations.

Ive called into question the accuracy digital scale I bought for this 38 bucks Frankfort Arsenal scale. I thought it was cool though that just lightly breathing on it would measure in grains. Ive learned to wait 1 minute for the final measurement. Frustratingly slow and most times it doesn't move but occasionally the measure will change +/-.1gn. Im not certain how +/- .1gn affects accuracy.

Over the last 12 years, I have had both a RCBS and Dillon digital go bad. There is a reason why Dillon, RCBS and other reloading companies provide short term warranties on their digital scales.

Based on all my research, following those scale failures, I opted for a relative expensive digital scale. I learned you get exactly what you pay for in a digital scale. I would advise spending at least 125.00 and up for a quality digital scale. A good place to shop digital scales are outlets that cater to laboratories or jeweler stores. Make sure the scale has the ability to furnish read out in grains. I seen some scales that read only in ounces and or grams.

Be aware of environmental issues may that influence the digital scale. Most of those issues have already been pointed out.

It is preferable to use a 110v scale as power quality can influence a digital scale....and leave it on.

Battery powered digital scales require good quality batteries delivering correct voltage, if batteries are weak-accuracy of the scale will be an issue. Rule of thumb, replace batteries frequently.

I have an older balance beam scale as a fall back but I have found my current scale to be very accurate.

Im not certain how +/- .1gn affects accuracy.

It drove me crazy watching my cheap Hornady scale drift like yours is but now that I understand reloading better I wouldn't worry to much for now. My opinion on the subject is don't worry about .1 grains until you are using Lapua, Alpha or similar quality cases. Also once you find a good node the velocity difference will be negligible inside 500 meters.

Ive called into question the accuracy digital scale I bought for this 38 bucks Frankfort Arsenal scale. I thought it was cool though that just lightly breathing on it would measure in grains. Ive learned to wait 1 minute for the final measurement. Frustratingly slow and most times it doesn't move but occasionally the measure will change +/-.1gn. Im not certain how +/- .1gn affects accuracy.
So 1/10th a grain in a hunting rifle like a .308 with a powder such as IMR 4350 is unlikely to make a difference, however if you are loading pistol rounds with Bullseye, I would take the time to get them as close as possible.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top