JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have some 150 gr steel core bullets that are the same length as 165 gr sp's,Do I use the data for 150 gr,or 165 gr?Does length even effect the data?

You will use load data for the WEIGHT of the projectile.
Pickup a couple of manuals,i like to have them ffrom the powder companies and the bullet manufactuers so that i can cross reference the info. Many times you will come across data that is inconsistent,so more than one point of reference is helpful.
If using pull down components,get the loading data from the seller,it is usually available from their web sites.
RK

150 grain bullet, use 150 grain data.

HOWEVER: With any bullet not of "conventional" design, (such as "steel core", a Nosler partition or Ballistic Tip, Winchester FailSafe, Barnes or other all-copper), start mild, and you may not be able to go to what is listed as maximum for a "conventional" design, garden variety jacketed lead bullet.

These bullets develop high pressure generally at a powder charge that is slightly less than what is listed for a conventional bullet. Fortunately, Nosler and Barnes, etc. list safe and tested loads for their bullets in their books.

This higher pressure is caused by the added length (greater bearing surface against the rifling) of those bullets as compared to a conventional bullet and/or decreased malleability ("softness") of the bullet against the rifling.

This does not mean you will not be able to drive the bullet as fast, but rather that when you do drive it just as fast, the powder charge will be somewhat less, since max pressure has been reached.

NEVER take a max load out of a book referring to a conventional bullet and use it to drive an unconventional one.

Read , research, study ! I have several reloading books, manuals & cd's that have been very helpful. And I'm always looking for more, you can never have to much information............... :s0159:

150 grain bullet, use 150 grain data.

HOWEVER: With any bullet not of "conventional" design, (such as "steel core", a Nosler partition or Ballistic Tip, Winchester FailSafe, Barnes or other all-copper), start mild, and you may not be able to go to what is listed as maximum for a "conventional" design, garden variety jacketed lead bullet.

These bullets develop high pressure generally at a powder charge that is slightly less than what is listed for a conventional bullet. Fortunately, Nosler and Barnes, etc. list safe and tested loads for their bullets in their books.

This higher pressure is caused by the added length (greater bearing surface against the rifling) of those bullets as compared to a conventional bullet and/or decreased malleability ("softness") of the bullet against the rifling.

This does not mean you will not be able to drive the bullet as fast, but rather that when you do drive it just as fast, the powder charge will be somewhat less, since max pressure has been reached.

NEVER take a max load out of a book referring to a conventional bullet and use it to drive an unconventional one.
That is what I was thinking.longer bullet makes for more pressure in the barrel.Thanks all for the replys,I write all this info down in a spiral bound so I don't forget it.:D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top