JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone have any success at reloading for the IAI/AMT Automag IV in 45 Win Mag? FYI-were not talking about the Auto Mag (of the Dirty Harry fame). It's commonly known to Automag shooters, these pistols experience numerous (and various types) malfunctions. I've been trying to find to most reliable loads (and magazine spring combos also found to be an issue). I also have an LAR Grizzly MK I and a Wildey Survivor in 45 Win Mag.

The best load so far (which works fine in the Grizzly and my Wildey) is 23.5-25.0gr of Accurate Arms #9. I read in a different Forum posting that Vit 3N37 works well for the Automag 45 Win Mag, but not having this powder, I can't verify it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Kamikaze Bob

Welcome to NWFA. :)

I assume that you've loaded to published suggestions and are still having issues? I ask this as i have no issues with mid-range loading.

Are you just looking for load data or are you having FTE or FTF issues with your loads?

Last Edited:
Welcome to NWFA. :)

I assume that you've loaded to published suggestions and are still having issues? I ask this as i have no issues with mid-range loading.

Are you just looking for load data or are you having FTE or FTF issues with your loads?

Yes, I've been hand reloading for over 30 years and also teach reloading, long range precision reloading, and shooting. However, I recently purchased the IAI Automag IV 45 WinMag and have had FTE, FTF, and Double Feed issues (possibly some issues attributed to the factory mags), numerous rounds fired testing with various loads with 230gr FMJ with AA#9 and Blue Dot powders. I also have H110 and AA#7 powders but haven't used these powders due to not having seen any successful reload data when it comes to the finicky Automag IV and V (50AE). Even with my reloading experience I thought I'd eat a little humble pie and reach to those with Automag experience. I didn't want to exhaust my supply of powders just in testing and developing for 1 pistol. I was thinking my issues might be in a combination of weak mag springs and incorrect powder or charge?
Thanks for any help I can get.
Bob

Hey Bob, I've had my IAI Automag IV for almost 30 years and struggled to find a load that was reliable--even factory loads (when you could find them) had FTE and FTF issues. In the last 6 months I finally hit it--no jams in the last 200 rounds down range. I'm not sure what the key parameter is or if there are multiple and I just got lucky, but here's what I found:
Powder: Hodgdon HP-38
Load: a little below max
Bullet: 230gr FMJ
Overall Length: 1.570 (this seems to be critical)
I'm fairly confident that the key is not loading light and finding the overall length that works. Also, I've only used new brass so far.
Talking with other owners, it seems that every Automag IV is a little different and one load doesn't work for every one.
All I know is that it works for me and I enjoy the Automag again--an absolute hoot to shoot.
btw, I couldn't stand the factory grips being so thin so I made some custom walnut replacements. With them being a little thicker, it made control much easier (pic attached)
Dave

automag IV.jpg

Hey Bob, I've had my IAI Automag IV for almost 30 years and struggled to find a load that was reliable--even factory loads (when you could find them) had FTE and FTF issues. In the last 6 months I finally hit it--no jams in the last 200 rounds down range. I'm not sure what the key parameter is or if there are multiple and I just got lucky, but here's what I found:
Powder: Hodgdon HP-38
Load: a little below max
Bullet: 230gr FMJ
Overall Length: 1.570 (this seems to be critical)
I'm fairly confident that the key is not loading light and finding the overall length that works. Also, I've only used new brass so far.
Talking with other owners, it seems that every Automag IV is a little different and one load doesn't work for every one.
All I know is that it works for me and I enjoy the Automag again--an absolute hoot to shoot.
btw, I couldn't stand the factory grips being so thin so I made some custom walnut replacements. With them being a little thicker, it made control much easier (pic attached)
Dave

View attachment 760121
Dave,
Great info! Thank you!
As soon as I find a bottle of HP-38, I'll load up a dozen rounds or so. Due to COVID, it may be a while before I can head to the range. I'll let you know the results.

AMT AutoMag V 50AE left.jpg IAI Automag IV 45WinMag left closeup.jpg Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 12.36.11.png

Nice!

The handguns I also shoot: AMT Automag V (50ae), Auto Mag (44amp), Glock 460 Rowland, Glock 50GI, Gwinn-Bushmaster ArmPistol (5.56), HK Mark 23 (SOCOM), LAR Grizzly Mark I (45 WinMag), LAR Grizzly Mark V (50ae), Wildey (45 WinMag), Wildey 44amp, Wildey 475mag, Desert Eagle 50ae, S&W 460mag revolver, and S&W 500mag revolver. I used to own various big bore T-C Encore, SSK, and Jurras-Howdah single shot pistols. Some of these also produce a big flame.

Bob

The nastiest handgun I've ever owned (and shot) was the 600 Nitro Express single shot pistol. I posted a video of me and the Range Master shooting this beast, back in 2005.
Bob

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads