JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looking for load data to use for 25/45 sharps using 115 gr. Nosler boat tail bullets. Did a search but came up empty.
I looked it up as well and discovered to my horror a .25-45 'Sharps' is a cartridge and rifle that is nothing more than an AR 15 variant and is marketed as something called a 'Sharps' ? Man this is some serious sacrilege!

And before the name 'Henry USA' gets brought up at LEAST they make replicas of original Henry rifles.

I looked it up as well and discovered to my horror a .25-45 'Sharps' is a cartridge and rifle that is nothing more than an AR 15 variant and is marketed as something called a 'Sharps' ? Man this is some serious sacrilege!

And before the name 'Henry USA' gets brought up at LEAST they make replicas of original Henry rifles.
That's because the round was created by, and is sold through, The Sharps Rifle Company.
The round is basically a .223 Remington necked up to .25 caliber and was invented to be a better hog killer.
However, it apparently performs well on medium sized game, too.
I believe Sharps are the only maker of weapons chambered for the round right now.
I'm wondering how well it would work in a modified Mini-14.
I wouldn't mind checking one of those out.
Sorry Giddyupgo55, I am not aware of any handloads for the round.
Have you tried writing to Nosler or Sharps to see what they have to say about it?

Yes, I realize this now but initially when reading '.25/45' Sharps I naturally thought it might have been round intended for a replica or other variant of a traditional Sharps rifle however after looking it up and saw what it was, well, that ended any further interest.
...maybe next time, do a little research before you post? :s0092:

In case you missed it I DID 'do a little research' when I referenced in my first sentence 'I looked it up as well' - and posted about what I discovered as an afterthought is all, and making 'light' conversation. Something wrong with that ?
How can you look up that cartridge and miss the whole Sharps Rifle Company involvement?
Eat this one, RV. You got busted.

Maybe some one will blow a .223 all of the way out and call it a .35 Carbine ? :s0092: :rolleyes: :s0112:
x45 /223 is a great round . Also .223 is great brass to Neck up/down . --> 6mm x45 is the KING . It is exceptional out of a Long barrel AR even with Magazine COAL restriction, and especially sweeter with a Boltaction because longer barrel length is a big+ for squeezing every bit of Vel.fps out of 6x45 with the longer heavier 6mm bullets.

I had a lot of initial Scoff when sharps Saami spec. the 25x45 and brought it out for adding another AR cal. to the mix to a .223 Cal. that been around for many years .
BUT ... I have nothing but high praise for the .25x45 .
The x45 case Necked up to a .257 . It is the perfect balance using .223 brass out AR. The hydraulics of pushing a .257 pill down .25 Bore Diam size. is the perfect size for keeping a shorter 16" barrel length on an AR with keeping Velocity Up . ALSO Big+ for .25x45 when added length of a Suppressor to 16" barrel AR, keeping it still pretty manageable for handling .

.25x45 , With ( 16" barrel ) on AR15 . I have NO problems still getting a 'very comfortable' 2700+ Vel.fps with 87 grain speers, and even More+ fps.Vel. with using 75 grain vmax .

The cartridge 25x45 been around LONG time before getting SAAMI spec.sharps . But ( name of, Sharps ) that was one of the 'Weird' things that did not help with the marketing of the .25/sharps, when sharps went all out and saami it for brand name . the name 'Sharps' is just ingrained shooting worldwide as Oldschool Bigbore . BigBore Iron is the 1st thing that pops into your head, and the name Sharps.

Even though the .25x45 being a great AR cartridge . The other big thing that hurt or Killed Sharps on there .25 investment was 'market timing' . The HUGE, and I can express this more, IT WAS BallsOut HUGE blanket Advertising/marketing/all internet shooting forum, PUSH of the 300Blackout that AAC and Ron Silvers did right around same time Sharps did there .
Just like 25x45 been around for decades . The 300Blackout is nothing more than real old school .30-221 Rem. with more throat for handling the long heavy Sub.Vel bullet while to keep pressure to a safe area ... ;)

Maybe some one will blow a .223 all of the way out and call it a .35 Carbine ? :s0092: :rolleyes: :s0112:
I bring you the .350 Legend.
350_Legend.jpg
:s0155:

Necking up a .223 to .25 was a concept I explored when in search of a "tiny action" .257 caliber cartridge that might approximate .250 Savage velocities with the 87gr bullets.

Incentive was an article in a '70's Gun Digest where (by I believe John Amber, the Editor) this was done on a Ruger 77. My avenue was toward the Mini-Mauser action.

His Ruger conversion fell just short of the iconic "3000fps" I wanted, and I had experience with the 6x47 as another guideline. Further exploration revealed the Mini-Mausers were also chambered in 7.62x39.

I found one brand new and had Dennis Olson of Plains, Montana rebarrel it with a Lilga tube in a cartridge based on the 6mm PPC necked up to .257. No bolt face alteration or feed rail modification was needed, and I call the cartridge the .25 PPC: With apologies to Messrs Palmisano and Pindell, mine is the "Pronghorn Pursuit Cartridge" (since the goal was a tiny gun to carry easily while chasing goats).

It "makes the grade" at over 3000fps with the 87gr bullets (my choice is the 85gr Ballistic Tip).

Now, looking for a caliber upgrade for my AR, the .25x45 may be just the ticket. I looked at their site some time ago and saw the outfit possibly in "folding" mode, but today no mention of that trouble. This is getting my attention again.

Last Edited:
I am looking at hunting Pronghorn with it, if i have the chance. I do have some 87 gr. ammo, and I have load data for the 87 gr. but was looking info to load 100 gr. or 115 gr.

Necking up a .223 to .25 was a concept I explored when in search of a "tiny action" .257 caliber cartridge that might approximate .250 Savage velocities with the 87gr bullets.

Incentive was an article in a '70's Gun Digest where (by I believe John Amber, the Editor) this was done on a Ruger 77. My avenue was toward the Mini-Mauser action.

His Ruger conversion fell just short of the iconic "3000fps" I wanted, and I had experience with the 6x47 as another guideline. Further exploration revealed the Mini-Mausers were also chambered in 7.62x39.

I found one brand new and had Dennis Olson of Plains, Montana rebarrel it with a Lilga tube in a cartridge based on the 6mm PPC necked up to .257. No bolt face alteration or feed rail modification was needed, and I call the cartridge the .25 PPC: With apologies to Messrs Palmisano and Pindell, mine is the "Pronghorn Pursuit Cartridge" (since the goal was a tiny gun to carry easily while chasing goats).

It "makes the grade" at over 3000fps with the 87gr bullets (my choice is the 85gr Ballistic Tip).

Now, looking for a caliber upgrade for my AR, the .25x45 may be just the ticket. I looked at their site some time ago and saw the outfit possibly in "folding" mode, but today no mention of that trouble. This is getting my attention again.

25x45 is very efficient, but for another nice 'efficient powder burn' , FAST Vel. , EASY Brass workup, for a nice lightweight Boltaction rifle build . Dont forget the 204 Ruger Brass . In past chatting with couple people on Pred.hunter forum . 204 necked-up to .25 is a little badass.

I am looking at hunting Pronghorn with it, if i have the chance. I do have some 87 gr. ammo, and I have load data for the 87 gr. but was looking info to load 100 gr. or 115 gr.
You don't need heavier than the 87's for goats. (and try the 85g Ballistic Tip). Another .25 favorite of mine for Antelope is the 90gr Sierra Hollowpoint. This is a game bullet (not a varmint bullet) with a stout jacket and has served me well now for over 50 years.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top