JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sharps Co. on-line load data pretty much keeps all their testing for loads under the 90 grn. for good performance .
Also .. I never ever use/buy new Brass for loading .25 . I always use once fired 223, then neck-up and toss them . Accuracy is really good with just using once fired brass. and I really try not to over think it and keep it simple .
Powder I always use is A-2200 for the 75 grain Vmax . and I use A-2230/Ramshot for anything heavier than that .
-
https://www.srcarms.com/image/catalog/Sharps-25-45-load-data-sheet.pdf
-

No . I have stayed under the 90 grn. weight with .25's . I just trying to keep good Vel. speed with a shorter 16" barrel , plus with suppressor on it still a manageable length .
I like to stay right around 2700 vel.. with 87's , and I just normally shoot the 87 Speer TNT's for target paper and dogs .
Although I hold no experience with the cartridge, this velocity range is in keeping with what I discovered when researching it toward achieving 3000fps. I don't believe 3000 is possible with the 85-90gr bullets.

The .204 Ruger case (as referred to earlier) just might have the fuel tank to get there, necked to .25.

I guess there is a perceived need for the 117gr bullets toward hog hunting, but I think the 25-45 is better served with lighter projectiles and they would still be my choice toward hogs. Recent quarterbore experiments (in other calibers) have allowed the 70gr Sierra Blitz King to come to the forefront for accuracy, but that would be too light for pigs, I think.

Although I hold no experience with the cartridge, this velocity range is in keeping with what I discovered when researching it toward achieving 3000fps. I don't believe 3000 is possible with the 85-90gr bullets.

The .204 Ruger case (as referred to earlier) just might have the fuel tank to get there, necked to .25.

I guess there is a perceived need for the 117gr bullets toward hog hunting, but I think the 25-45 is better served with lighter projectiles and they would still be my choice toward hogs. Recent quarterbore experiments (in other calibers) have allowed the 70gr Sierra Blitz King to come to the forefront for accuracy, but that would be too light for pigs, I think.
My desire to use 117gr projectiles is because I have a some on hand already and could get more for good price. I bought some to use in 25-06 which has the same twist rate as the 25-45 Sharps barrels.

My desire to use 117gr projectiles is because I have a some on hand already and could get more for good price. I bought some to use in 25-06 which has the same twist rate as the 25-45 Sharps barrels.
Certainly economy must be factored in toward such decisions (especially now). Yet, decisions hardened toward economy at the expense of performance are less understandable when compared to the expense of a new gun and/or barrel in a "wildcat" caliber.

Toward economy: at the Albany show last weekend, .257 bullets (of just about any weight/style) were easily obtainable at normal/even bargain prices.

Toward twist rate: The 85-90gr projectiles stabilize entirely well in the 1/10 twist held by the majority of the .25 guns in the home stable here.

I would never discourage experiments with heavy bullets in a cartridge of this size, but remain confident that anyone doing so while also giving the lighter ones a try will realize why Sharps and others with experience in .25 cartridges of this power range deem the lighter bullets far and away better for overall performance.

Certainly economy must be factored in toward such decisions (especially now). Yet, decisions hardened toward economy at the expense of performance are less understandable when compared to the expense of a new gun and/or barrel in a "wildcat" caliber.

Toward economy: at the Albany show last weekend, .257 bullets (of just about any weight/style) were easily obtainable at normal/even bargain prices.

Toward twist rate: The 85-90gr projectiles stabilize entirely well in the 1/10 twist held by the majority of the .25 guns in the home stable here.

I would never discourage experiments with heavy bullets in a cartridge of this size, but remain confident that anyone doing so while also giving the lighter ones a try will realize why Sharps and others with experience in .25 cartridges of this power range deem the lighter bullets far and away better for overall performance.
As saying before . I normally just stick with what always works good and easy . . it always been, ( 87 grain Speer TNT's ) ,
with ( 27.7 Grn. A-2230 ) . 16-inch barrel . 9-twist . Gets a 1st Round, dirty cold bore shot @ 2750 Vel. . Brass looks great with proud round edge to the primers .

I also questions the Sharps claims of 3000+ fps Vel. . Well seems they not lying about getting 'easy' 3000 fps Vel . on the .25x45 Velocity .
Had a couple hundred (.257 - 75 grain Vmax ) , sitting around for few years, and been meaning to get around and see what I could really comfortably squeeze out of them for some ..Speed .

With resizing 5, necked-up, once fired .223 Brass . . ( 27.0 grn. A-2200 ) and ( .25 75 grn, Vmax ) . shoot 5-rounds over the Magnetospeed Chrony.

1 Round fell under the 3000 Vel. with speed of 2990, and the other 4 busted over 3000 fps.
The Brass good , Primers were still looking good on the pressure .
-

27.0 of 2200.jpg
-

My earlier expressed doubt toward 3000fps in this cartridge was specifically in reference to the 85-90 grain bullets that are my mainstay for big game in the .250-3000 Savage.

The 75gr V-Max is a great choice for varmints, and certainly 3000fps with this bullet in the .25x45 I would not doubt: The bullet also works well in the .256's.

Lately, I am VERY impressed with the 70gr Sierra Blitz King as a very accurate lightweight selection. That might allow for 3100fps!

As saying before . I normally just stick with what always works good and easy . . it always been, ( 87 grain Speer TNT's ) ,
with ( 27.7 Grn. A-2230 ) . 16-inch barrel . 9-twist . Gets a 1st Round, dirty cold bore shot @ 2750 Vel. . Brass looks great with proud round edge to the primers .

I also questions the Sharps claims of 3000+ fps Vel. . Well seems they not lying about getting 'easy' 3000 fps Vel . on the .25x45 Velocity .
Had a couple hundred (.257 - 75 grain Vmax ) , sitting around for few years, and been meaning to get around and see what I could really comfortably squeeze out of them for some ..Speed .

With resizing 5, necked-up, once fired .223 Brass . . ( 27.0 grn. A-2200 ) and ( .25 75 grn, Vmax ) . shoot 5-rounds over the Magnetospeed Chrony.

1 Round fell under the 3000 Vel. with speed of 2990, and the other 4 busted over 3000 fps.
The Brass good , Primers were still looking good on the pressure .
-
add: to post
Because these type Forum Threads float around forever with load data . for someone Reading this and loading for the 25x45 .
The 25x45 is super easy to work Brass, and load for .. But I just throwing this out there for little safety, and the ( A-2200 and A-2230 ) being so close in factory label, and also the 2 powders grain look and size exactly same . Also ( 2200 and 2230 ) they both being given by Sharps Factory Re-Load Data . They are two different animals, so need to pay little more attention to the details if using.

The A-2200 is pretty FAST burn and climbs pressure real fast when you start getting close to Max charge weight . You can get away with 27.0 + charge and .223/x45 Brass, because of the larger size Bore of .25 Diam.
So for example .. .224 loads with 55 grn fmj's with your AR , it a good powder to use, but you probably only using area of 23.0 grain with that smaller Bore Diam.

Also.. the 2200 does NOT put out near as much Gas on the burn as 2230 .
for example.. if you already have and shooting Load for 25x45 with using 2230, and have your AR and Gas Block tuned for that load . If you then chamber-up and fire a Round that is loaded with A-2200 . It will NOT produce enough gas to move your Bolt even close to full stroke for extraction, or even move it at all .
No Biggie and just open-up your Adj. gas block for more gas to cycle .. BUT just remember after doing that . Don't chamber-up and fire a Round loaded with 2230 when your AR is then Gas-tuned to cycle with shooting A-2200, because it will be 'Cycling Over-Gased BigTime' when you pull the trigger .

For those out there that load the 25-45 sharps. I just bought the new Sierra reloading manual and there is reloading info listed.
on my 2nd sharps/25x45 barrel now . the new barrel, their barrels seems to have changed twist from 1-9, to a 1-10, but they still sticking with the polygonal 3-land.
I still hanging with the 27.5 grn. 2230 right now with 87 grn .. the new barrel seems a tad slower than the 1st on the magneto chrony. . but It should speed up a tad more after a few more good fouling and cleanings on the break-in.
I only have 35 rounds threw it now. busted my Adj.gas block last week. just got it fixed,a and all put back together, and will chrony another 20 rounds threw it today. A person can Rip them a lot faster on the Vel.fps, but I just searching for that node (sweet spot) right in the 2700+ Vel. range for accuracy that I had last barrel.

I looked it up as well and discovered to my horror a .25-45 'Sharps' is a cartridge and rifle that is nothing more than an AR 15 variant and is marketed as something called a 'Sharps' ? Man this is some serious sacrilege!

And before the name 'Henry USA' gets brought up at LEAST they make replicas of original Henry rifles.
The 25x45 sharps is designed specifically for ar15 rifles giving you more energy at range than 223/5.56 or 300 blk at 300 yards it delivers 60%more energy on target than 223/5.56 and it bridges the gap between 223/5.56 and 300 blk it's actually a really good cartridge and is very comparable to the 6.8spc ii accept no special mags and lower for it compared to the 6.8 spc ii and all standard ar mags work well with the 25x45 sharps it's actually a great cartridge if you gave it a chance

Anybody know if they make a 87 grain fmj in .257 I'm looking for fmj for plinking purposes for 25x45sharps and also what's the longest bullet I could use for the .25x45sharps asking people that reload this cartridge

Anybody know if they make a 87 grain fmj in .257 I'm looking for fmj for plinking purposes for 25x45sharps and also what's the longest bullet I could use for the .25x45sharps asking people that reload this cartridge
if you can find them anywhere . lighter weight Jacketed soft points are the cheapest for just 'plinking'. .they used to all over the place for sale, but lately last few years .25 cal. bulk pointed soft points are the ignored bastard child for bullet manufacturing --> Along with your, 75 grn. Vmaxs , 87 grn. TNT's , Sierra HP Varm....etc.

You can run as long length/heavy .25 cal bullet you want to run in the 25x45 , as long as the barrel twist will stabilize it. but being restricted to the AR magazines COAL. just be prepared for slow Vels. when long bullets eat up Powder burn volume .

if you can find them anywhere . lighter weight Jacketed soft points are the cheapest for just 'plinking'. .they used to all over the place for sale, but lately last few years .25 cal. bulk pointed soft points are the ignored bastard child for bullet manufacturing --> Along with your, 75 grn. Vmaxs , 87 grn. TNT's , Sierra HP Varm....etc.

You can run as long length/heavy .25 cal bullet you want to run in the 25x45 , as long as the barrel twist will stabilize it. but being restricted to the AR magazines COAL. just be prepared for slow Vels. when long bullets eat up Powder burn volume .
Okay cool thank you I want to load up to 100 grain maximum for the 25x45 so it won't be to long or much loss in velocity just a little bit though

Okay cool thank you I want to load up to 100 grain maximum for the 25x45 so it won't be to long or much loss in velocity just a little bit though
If you went just a tad heavier, it seems Sierra makes an excellent bullet in .257 caliber.
I noticed the difference in ballistic coeffecient between this bullet and its 100 grain counterpart is almost .1, at speeds between 1600 and 2500, the upper end of which, should be in the .25 Sharps's range.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top