JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok. So I'm also looking at places near railroad tracks. Thousands of homes in the area are around railroad tracks. Nice places! I found a place that's bordering tracks. About 10-15 trains per day. 50 acres of land with nice home.
Would this bother you?
All this help is helping me put folks. So thanks!

I used to live 50 yards from a RRtrack. Got used to it real quick. Of course they didn't blast the horn as much as they do in Eugene to keep the druggies from being run over. I wasn't near a crossing either. I would avoid it if it were near a crossing.

It's next to the crossing, 100 yards, and they sound the horn.
It wouldn't mind me. I'm just currious about resale.

Its hard to say regarding resale.....what bothers some potential buyers is irrelevant to others. I would have a market analysis done by an agent or at the very least spend some time on Zillow to see how often other homes in the vicinity go on the market and if the price increases, is stagnant or decreases. Having comps done is the only real way to tell.

I spent a couple months living in a rv park on the Columbia just across the river from Biggs Junction. The first few nights the train whistles at the nearby crossing would wake me up, after a couple weeks I'd only wake up if they were way off the normal schedule .

I've lived next to them for over 3 years. They do a lot of switching on the siding that is literally 50' from my window. At first it was awful, I complained, we went round and round...now I've gotten over it. Unless I'm trying to fall asleep and they are blowing the horn, I don't notice.

Like simon99 said, the sound of a train in the middle of the night is strangely reassuring. We can hear them doing their switching off of the NW Expressway really well in the summer. Not so much in the winter because the windows are closed.

One of my closest friends lives in town, down in the most ghetto part. The view out of his front door and across the street is the switching yard. He doesn't mind it a bit and it affords the ability to get away with many things that couldn't normally be done for entertainment.

We have a house near the tracks. Wife and I don't really notice it. The one exception is when the windows are open and they lay on the horn. That can be annoying. The house had AC when we bought it, so we knew we could keep them closed at night in the summer.

Great topic, my Wife and I were just having this talk the other day.

"Wonder if there has ever been a study of health effects" babies, children, adults

I'm a light sleeper and the thought of a train horn rattleing me out of deep sleep 100 ft from my home would make me drink more Scotch.

I had a buddy that rented an apt right next to the tracks. Eastern Kentucky, coal country. He lived there for thirty years....He always complained about the coal dust coating everything in his house. He never set foot in a mine but died of black lung at the age of 54..

Great topic, my Wife and I were just having this talk the other day.

"Wonder if there has ever been a study of health effects" babies, children, adults

I'm a light sleeper and the thought of a train horn rattleing me out of deep sleep 100 ft from my home would make me drink more Scotch.

It can be amazing what people can be conditioned to ignore. In the beginning it will be rough, but after a month or so, you will probably actually not even hear it, as your mind will condition and block it out.
I had very few places to study that were quiet in college, and after a while the noise level wasn't even a factor, but then silent areas drove me nuts.
Funny how the mind works. people are easily adaptable and easily conditioned.

I had a buddy that rented an apt right next to the tracks. Eastern Kentucky, coal country. He lived there for thirty years....He always complained about the coal dust coating everything in his house. He never set foot in a mine but died of black lung at the age of 54..

They spray the coal with some sort of a sealer nowadays that holds everything in place and prevents dust. It'll even hold a chunk of coal sitting on the edge of the hopper in place all the way over from Wyoming to Vancouver.

As a kid our house was 50 yards from the tracks. I hated going to bed. When I heard the train coming I knew I'd be asleep soon. Darn old train was like a lullaby to me. That thump, thump thump of the wheels crossing the ties always put me out fast. Only thing close is light rain on a thin roof. I'm nodding off just thinking about it.

What about crime rates near railroad tracks? Around here some of the crooks use the irrigation ditches as a way to get straight into your backyard. Would the R/R tracks offer the same opportunity?
Good luck, stay safe and may God bless us all,
Mike

Elwood didn't mind.

sunglasses_elwood.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews