Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Live in WA, buy in Oregon?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by TyPercy, Dec 24, 2009.

1. TyPercy

TyPercy Vancouver, WA Member

I'm considering buying a couple of guns from Keith's Sporting goods, but I live in WA. Are there any issues with doing this I should be aware of before heading in there?

Thanks!

Ty

2. M.Link

M.Link Guest

Im pretty sure you can only buy Long Guns in OR. For Handguns I think they would have to transfer them to a WA FFL. Not positive though.

3. Bello425

Bello425 Vancouver Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

+1, your correct, unless you are military with orders. They are closed until 4th January for inventory.

4. TyPercy

Good to know! Thanks for the replies.

Ty

5. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

If Keiths has an FFL in Wa you are good. Not sure if they do but if not yeah long guns only.

6. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

They x-fer handguns to Jc-Weaponary and sell you long guns to take home.

7. TyPercy

What is the FFL charge on a handgun? I'm guessing it's twice as much if I buy two? :D

8. ajgunner

ajgunner Molalla, OR Active Member

In Oregon you can do 3 back ground checks on 1 application. If you buy 1, 2 or 3 any decent FFL should only charge you 1 time. 10 Bucks in Oregon.

9. TyPercy

:thumbup:

10. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

why not just buy from a dealer in WA

11. TyPercy

No reason, just checking. The whole no sales tax thing is a nice little bonus though :D

12. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

I don't think JC has ever done transfers for Kieths.

Kieth uses an FFL out in Kelso. He drops guns once a week there.

13. TyPercy

Thanks Coctailer. Good to know. I'm guessing if I am spending $1200, it's worth the savings in sales tax to pay the FFL fee. Plus, I think Keith's is quite a bit cheaper than wholesale sports in Vancouver. The G22 is $60 cheaper, not sure about the P22. I would also be open to buying from someone in Vancouver that offered a more personal, customer service oriented experience. Anyone make any recommendations? (I would pay more in order to support a local (SW Washington) business with excellent customer service and that had the heart of a teacher. I think it would be really good for my 10 year old to have some folks like that to learn from.

14. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

The way I look at it, paying WA state sales tax is an bitter pill but necessary to keep WA state dealers in business. We are shooting ourselves in the foot if we don't keep these guys in business. Where will you go to get FFL transfers or handguns? I don't want to drive up to Kelso. These local guys need support as long as the transfer system continues to be such a PITA.

I have purchased locally from Joe at Crossroadsarms (crossroadsarms.com) with great results and I'm pretty sure Andrew at Ortwein (Coctailer) gives good service too. I also will buy from Bi-mart at every chance I can.

15. Iceberg

Iceberg Forest Grove Active Member

Wholesale Sports will also give your 5% off if you are a veteran. They are also generally cheaper on handguns (before the discount) than Brightwater Ventures in Vancouver. I picked up a Italian made Beretta 92FS from them last month for $523 after discount.

I buy from them and also from Terry at L&L Guns in Battleground. Bob's & The Gun Shop in Longview are also great folks to deal with. I try to support our dealers in Washington when I can. Kieth's does have some good prices, however his customer services stinks.

16. TyPercy

Good advice. Yesterday Coctailer and I exchanged some PM's. He was extremely helpful and patient with me. He'll be getting my business. :thumbup:

17. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

You can't go wrong there.

18. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Yes Coctailer is great to do business with:thumbup: There is also Joe at Crossroads who is great to deal with also. They are both sponsors here on the board so I try to deal with them when I can. The big box stores are nice but hey they are not the local guy who depends on our local business to keep them going. As for Keiths well read the reviews:(