JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure which category I should ask this in, so I kinda defaulted here.
If the mods feel there is a better place for this question, just please let me know where ya move it to.
Thanks.

So I've recently been reacquainting myself with the .22 rimfire and I remembered that my dad picked up a tiny little stock for his 142-A Mossy for my brother, when he was very young.
In turn, when I was learning to shoot, my dad swapped that tiny little stock back onto the gun, so it would fit me better.
My brother and I were probably 4 or 5 years old when we learned on this little stock.
I never thought much about it, but reflecting back on this, what a great idea for helping young shooters get their technique down.
While we've all seen "youth" versions of a lot of guns that feature a shorter than normal stock, I've not read or heard about anyone using an aftermarket miniature stock in a very long time.
Are such items no longer available in the aftermarket?

Dean

P.S. - If I can find that little stock, I'll try to post an A-B pic of the Mossberg so you guys can see the size difference.

A stock should under promise and over deliver.

It may have been a youth stock on a full sized rifle.

I just bought a Marlin .22 repeater, when it was time for my son to step up to rimfire. This was back when I was a machinist and I just cut and crowned the barrel to the legal minimum +1/8" and cut the stock to fit the lad. When it was time to step up again, because he out grew the stock, we sold it and got him a 10/22.
I did several of these little rifles for friends and co-workers and they were a big success! So, all this wordiness is leading to, aren't
full size barreled actions a little unwieldy? Especially in a short stock.

I have a wood stock for a 10-22 that has been cut down to fit the kids, now it on to the grandkids. I also drill a bunch of holes into but not through the forend to lighten it.
The easiest way not to see dumb comments is to block people that make stupid comments.

Last Edited:
You might have to cut down the existing stock. Once your procure a series of different length stocks, you would be good to go. Ruger wood surplus stocks can be had cheap at gun show ... if you can find them.

Or ... try the Internet for youth sized stocks for various rifles. Or if you cut back your own, save the sliced out part. Easy and fun to reattach later. Some .22rf manufactures provide smaller/shorter youth sized wood.

FWIW, different length rifle stocks are not new. Hundreds of years old. The British SMLE one hundred years ago had several different length rear wood butt stocks available for different sized "Soldiers of the Queen".

Lol size does not matter what matters is how well you can use your gun some guy's might have a bigger gun but don't know how to use it lol

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top