JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Originally, I wrote this as a response to the "If hillary gets elected" thread. However, I think my points here are important enough that it deserves it's own thread. In a lot of ways, this dovetails with things I've been talking to other people about, and it's time we had this conversation here, and it's time we start to act.

I absolutely welcome comments, even negative ones, however before you set cruise control for awesome, at least do me the courtesy of making a well reasoned point. If you are going to implement any of my suggestions feel free to report in here.

Thanks guys,

-Drew

1) If you feel the need to make mention about how bad it is, what idiots the gun control lobby are, whether you will comply or not. It's not useful.

I don't mean to be dismissive or piss in your cheerios without need. But by airing your complaints, I'm sure someone somewhere gets off on it. Worse still, it can be used as a motivation to further cement their opinions and make them even more intransigent against changing them.

2) In a democracy (or republic), voting is violence. It is imposing your will by government power against people who voted differently.

Heinlein made this point repeatedly in starship troopers. The philosophical argument is actually one of the strongest arguments for judiciousness in voting. At this point, the government is simply an all-powerful tool that both sides fight for control over to enact their policies against the other. It's infantile, and annoying, and does nothing to solve the problems. The core strategy here needs to not be one of wresting control away from the other side, but instead reducing the size, scope and power of the government. I realize this is probably as multi-generational a goal as it was to create governments this powerful. However, that power was created because it was expedient to do so. Now we have to go the long way around to undo it.

2a) Violence and open combat favor the organized

I love history, and if there's one thing history in conflict teaches is that the most organized are the most likely to succeed. The Spartans who held Thermopylae held off the core strength of the Persian army for three days (what was required) by choosing their ground carefully, and then fighting in a careful regimented fashion. They chewed up wave after wave, and on the third day they broke ranks and were slaughtered.

The most important thing I will point out about this, is the pro-gun forces too often allow themselves to be drawn into a battle by the opposition. In some ways this is the nature of the fight, however it's too easy and predictable, and when the opposition is defeated, they immediately regroup and attack somewhere else. I will certainly give them this, they are tireless, but in order to succeed we need to stop fighting like a disorganized rabble, choose our ground, and call them to us.

Why has no one started a bill/initiative to repeal I-594 yet? The court challenge is frankly kinda pointless, because it's a brief setback and another initiative is passed. Only to repeat the same process. It's too much of a hail mary that wins the game, and the results are too unpredictable.

2b) The legitimacy to do violence is a powerful force, especially when morality is at stake.

If we pay attention to the gun-grabber's rhetoric it all centers on safety and paranoia. This often gives them the feeling of a moral victory when they are successful "see, we kept guns out of the hands of X... I feel so much better now" until they are again forced to confront that their previous efforts have done nothing but disenfranchise a lot of law-abiding people. This is right up there with the moral crusaders who banned alcohol in the early part of the 20th century, it made them feel great, but ultimately it was a policy that was a national disaster.

The profound moral victory afforded to the hoplophobes at this point is they get to inflict their will on people they consider dangerous and subhuman. That folks, is you and I.

With the above in mind, here's what we need to do:

1) We need to re-establish our legitimacy in the conversation.

1a) This is a serious up-hill battle we face. In large part, the media is constantly looking for sensational stories that is measured in human blood and body counts. Unfortunately, these stories always lead, and somewhat predictably, it's easy for them to prop up someone from CFW to run their point that "this is all because of inanimate objects". What is really needed here is someone with some organizational skills (SAF?) to stand up and issue a press release every time a gun saves a life, and do everything they can to get an interview on how "Countless people were saved because of the presence of a gun". Or especially in the case of gang and other common criminal shootings, point out that "under current law, this person was not allowed to own a gun" and come up with reasonings for how the laws we have are ineffective, and need to be changed.

1b) Civic involvement is something our society is greatly lacking. Have you been to an FoE lodge recently? It's populated entirely by septugenarians. While these are largely non-political fraternal and charity organizations, however they have a long history of being valuable and loud voices in the world of public policy. Most of the people on this board are probably less than 40, the membership numbers here are something most of these organizations could only drool over.

Gun rights groups need to be more visible in terms of charity work. Its very possible to work with other groups to do charity outreach, and an essential part of this is to make this work known.

Lets make a Case Study

What if the gun community organized a blood drive right after a mass shooting?

* This is the gun community showing compassion for fellow humans after a tragedy.
* Anti-gun groups could easily make the argument "this is all your fault"
* Pro-gun groups could easily say "no, it's your ineffective laws, pro-crime policies, and denial of common sense self-defense laws that created this situation"

Organization/Messaging

Right now, we seriously need to get organized. And we need to make every one of these fights local. Putting any effort into executive federal elections right now is a complete waste of time. The push from the anti-gunners is all at the state level, nearly every federal policy and law needs significant state support in order to be effective. Marijuana is illegal federally, yet it's on sale legally in numerous stores all over both washington and oregon. This is why the local fight is the most important fight.

Next Steps

Has anyone contacted the media about doing a story on your cleanup at the North Fork Wolf Creek shooting area? If not, get on this RFN.

I'm currently working on organizing a blood drive locally (for those of you who know, I'm stuck in CA at the moment as my dad has fallen ill and he needs a caretaker). I've done this before, and it's a pain, but there are people I know that can help me with this.

If you're not doing anything right this second, find out where your local Elks lodge, FOE, Grange, or whatever local charity organizations are in your area, Rotary is a great start because they usually have one open meeting a month having dinner somewhere. Go there and make friends. Continue showing up. This might provide the invites you need to join some of the other local organizations. Years ago I was a member of the International Footprinter's association, which is an LE/Business group. Unfortunately it seems they have disbanded, probably because I was the youngest person there by probably 40-50 years. Even if nothing comes of it, you're going to learn a thing or two about organization. Get off your bubblegum and get out there.

I think we would all breathe a collective sigh of relief if we can figure out a way to get the lefties to recognize that it's not the legal, law abiding gun owners that are the problem. Just my .02 cents.

Leadership! That is one thing sorely missing and something we need RFN!!! That would be another great step down this path! Organisation is worthless with out leadership, and that person, or persons need to be found and vetted right quick and in a hurry like! No matter how grand an idea, with out a means of implementing it, AND with out leadership, this is all still borne! I agree with all points above from the OP, and hope others can jump in and make ideas take shape in the form of actionable plans!

Leadership! That is one thing sorely missing and something we need RFN!!! That would be another great step down this path! Organisation is worthless with out leadership, and that person, or persons need to be found and vetted right quick and in a hurry like! No matter how grand an idea, with out a means of implementing it, AND with out leadership, this is all still borne! I agree with all points above from the OP, and hope others can jump in and make ideas take shape in the form of actionable plans!

Really, the way I look at this is not just creating a single unitary leader, but rather taking a page from IW... make a team that can build organizations teach leadership, skills building, and then disappear to somewhere else and repeat the process... A-team it if you will.

A single leader can be discredited or attacked, which sets the whole cause back. Having a bit of distance is essential. However what I do not want at all in this is empire builders. That spelled the death of a lot of groups, and it lead to a lot of excesses that would not have happened without that empire to defend.

Freedom is our common cause, western liberalism (like Locke and Jefferson, not like FDR) is the tool we will use to maintain it.

Step 1: Go recruit two buddies, take them to a Rotary Club meeting. Have them recruit two buddies and so on.

Step 2: By the end of September, I want each of you to execute a canned food drive.

Step 3: Hey @Joe Link think you could get us some press for this?

Sorry but I believe we are WAY past changing anything
I believe we are still allowed to vote to see how stupid we are and what programs the gubment can implement without all out anarchy.
Oh we should still vote to show them we are PI$$ED, but we should realize the election has been fixed for years

The only real way to make a real change is revolution
Otherwise you are pissing in the wind
The FIX is against us

I have to agree with mjbskwim, it's too friggin late. The left has the MSM all sewed up & in their pocket and spewing the liberals agenda.

Anything short of a revolution will solve nothing, we have been complacent for far too long. Just my two cents.

Last Edited:
Democratic or republican they are now one in the same. Owned, bought, and paid for by the true wealth that run the world.

Until they start something along the lines of the nazis. We will fall in line and obey.

Too many against too many.

Nothing to unite our fight.

Even gun owners aren't even truly United.

Sorry to be the negative Nancy. It's just not likely anything will happen till it gets truly ugly.

I think AM is thinking the same thing, I think he is pointing out that we need to start laying the ground work to bring people together and start putting leadership in place! Yes, I agree, we have let this go on for too long, and that it may be too late for cool heads to prevail, and yes, I believe we are in for submission or Revolution!

I'll add.

Where were all of us when Burns got occupied.

Where is the gun owners to stand for our men and women in blue.

We simply have too much too lose as is with our day to day to make cause of any of this mildly bad behavior.

If they came to your door in three years looking for your "assault weapons" would you not give them over? Is it worth your livelihood? Your family?

It truly has to get ugly before the likes of common men to stand up and fight.

It has not gotten there yet. It may not in my lifetime.

With that being said, I'm not forgoing the idea of a faux wall or two in my home.

Originally, I wrote this as a response to the "If hillary gets elected" thread. However, I think my points here are important enough that it deserves it's own thread. In a lot of ways, this dovetails with things I've been talking to other people about, and it's time we had this conversation here, and it's time we start to act.

I absolutely welcome comments, even negative ones, however before you set cruise control for awesome, at least do me the courtesy of making a well reasoned point. If you are going to implement any of my suggestions feel free to report in here.

Thanks guys,

-Drew

1) If you feel the need to make mention about how bad it is, what idiots the gun control lobby are, whether you will comply or not. It's not useful.

I don't mean to be dismissive or piss in your cheerios without need. But by airing your complaints, I'm sure someone somewhere gets off on it. Worse still, it can be used as a motivation to further cement their opinions and make them even more intransigent against changing them.

2) In a democracy (or republic), voting is violence. It is imposing your will by government power against people who voted differently.

Heinlein made this point repeatedly in starship troopers. The philosophical argument is actually one of the strongest arguments for judiciousness in voting. At this point, the government is simply an all-powerful tool that both sides fight for control over to enact their policies against the other. It's infantile, and annoying, and does nothing to solve the problems. The core strategy here needs to not be one of wresting control away from the other side, but instead reducing the size, scope and power of the government. I realize this is probably as multi-generational a goal as it was to create governments this powerful. However, that power was created because it was expedient to do so. Now we have to go the long way around to undo it.

2a) Violence and open combat favor the organized

I love history, and if there's one thing history in conflict teaches is that the most organized are the most likely to succeed. The Spartans who held Thermopylae held off the core strength of the Persian army for three days (what was required) by choosing their ground carefully, and then fighting in a careful regimented fashion. They chewed up wave after wave, and on the third day they broke ranks and were slaughtered.

The most important thing I will point out about this, is the pro-gun forces too often allow themselves to be drawn into a battle by the opposition. In some ways this is the nature of the fight, however it's too easy and predictable, and when the opposition is defeated, they immediately regroup and attack somewhere else. I will certainly give them this, they are tireless, but in order to succeed we need to stop fighting like a disorganized rabble, choose our ground, and call them to us.

Why has no one started a bill/initiative to repeal I-594 yet? The court challenge is frankly kinda pointless, because it's a brief setback and another initiative is passed. Only to repeat the same process. It's too much of a hail mary that wins the game, and the results are too unpredictable.

2b) The legitimacy to do violence is a powerful force, especially when morality is at stake.

If we pay attention to the gun-grabber's rhetoric it all centers on safety and paranoia. This often gives them the feeling of a moral victory when they are successful "see, we kept guns out of the hands of X... I feel so much better now" until they are again forced to confront that their previous efforts have done nothing but disenfranchise a lot of law-abiding people. This is right up there with the moral crusaders who banned alcohol in the early part of the 20th century, it made them feel great, but ultimately it was a policy that was a national disaster.

The profound moral victory afforded to the hoplophobes at this point is they get to inflict their will on people they consider dangerous and subhuman. That folks, is you and I.

With the above in mind, here's what we need to do:

1) We need to re-establish our legitimacy in the conversation.

1a) This is a serious up-hill battle we face. In large part, the media is constantly looking for sensational stories that is measured in human blood and body counts. Unfortunately, these stories always lead, and somewhat predictably, it's easy for them to prop up someone from CFW to run their point that "this is all because of inanimate objects". What is really needed here is someone with some organizational skills (SAF?) to stand up and issue a press release every time a gun saves a life, and do everything they can to get an interview on how "Countless people were saved because of the presence of a gun". Or especially in the case of gang and other common criminal shootings, point out that "under current law, this person was not allowed to own a gun" and come up with reasonings for how the laws we have are ineffective, and need to be changed.

1b) Civic involvement is something our society is greatly lacking. Have you been to an FoE lodge recently? It's populated entirely by septugenarians. While these are largely non-political fraternal and charity organizations, however they have a long history of being valuable and loud voices in the world of public policy. Most of the people on this board are probably less than 40, the membership numbers here are something most of these organizations could only drool over.

Gun rights groups need to be more visible in terms of charity work. Its very possible to work with other groups to do charity outreach, and an essential part of this is to make this work known.

Lets make a Case Study

What if the gun community organized a blood drive right after a mass shooting?

* This is the gun community showing compassion for fellow humans after a tragedy.
* Anti-gun groups could easily make the argument "this is all your fault"
* Pro-gun groups could easily say "no, it's your ineffective laws, pro-crime policies, and denial of common sense self-defense laws that created this situation"

Organization/Messaging

Right now, we seriously need to get organized. And we need to make every one of these fights local. Putting any effort into executive federal elections right now is a complete waste of time. The push from the anti-gunners is all at the state level, nearly every federal policy and law needs significant state support in order to be effective. Marijuana is illegal federally, yet it's on sale legally in numerous stores all over both washington and oregon. This is why the local fight is the most important fight.

Next Steps

Has anyone contacted the media about doing a story on your cleanup at the North Fork Wolf Creek shooting area? If not, get on this RFN.

I'm currently working on organizing a blood drive locally (for those of you who know, I'm stuck in CA at the moment as my dad has fallen ill and he needs a caretaker). I've done this before, and it's a pain, but there are people I know that can help me with this.

If you're not doing anything right this second, find out where your local Elks lodge, FOE, Grange, or whatever local charity organizations are in your area, Rotary is a great start because they usually have one open meeting a month having dinner somewhere. Go there and make friends. Continue showing up. This might provide the invites you need to join some of the other local organizations. Years ago I was a member of the International Footprinter's association, which is an LE/Business group. Unfortunately it seems they have disbanded, probably because I was the youngest person there by probably 40-50 years. Even if nothing comes of it, you're going to learn a thing or two about organization. Get off your bubblegum and get out there.

Thank you for taking the time to put this out here, a lot of work for sure.

One huge problem, (I think), we have is that "We" are a minority, in this part of the nation anyway. Seems like there's just way too many people that believe "No one needs _______". How do you fight that? I personally feel the only thing we have on our side is the constitution/2nd amendment. I don't know but I'm afraid that if it were put to a national vote, where every person legal to vote voted, that the 2nd amendment would go down.

Sorry but I believe we are WAY past changing anything
I believe we are still allowed to vote to see how stupid we are and what programs the gubment can implement without all out anarchy.
Oh we should still vote to show them we are PI$$ED, but we should realize the election has been fixed for years

The only real way to make a real change is revolution
Otherwise you are pissing in the wind
The FIX is against us

What do you think I'm talking about here? This is it, this is the revolution.

Either join in, or sit it out.

Best thing you can do now.....eat carrots, pamper your vision, make sure your hands are steady, ensure all your tools are in top shape and your index fingers nimble. It is a forlorn hope thinking these "people" can be reasoned with. No real public outcry over the sympathy victims of "police violence" trotted out on the DNC stage. They never mention how many of those "nice young men" had serious criminal records... Non MSM will not reach people, I don't like to be Debbie Downer but I am also a pragmatist, an analyst and a realist.

Here's the rub. There are no negatives from their side when they pass new laws or write unconstitutional "executive actions." There are no major places we could protest that we wouldn't be targeted...and I mean Kent State a thousand fold. Boston Tea party? are you kidding? You don't know who to trust these days, heck, even your neighbors would narc you out for having an EBR.

The liberals and the mainstream media have vilified firearm owners and look at the vitriol aimed at the NRA, WTF? What has the NRA done but fight them in the courts? Yet many people these days think the NRA is worse than ISIS.

Question the evil in these liberal hearts. Just think about how joyously they celebrate late term abortions? But Brutus, I don't care about reproductive rights....I get it, it's their bodies, I personally think it's wrong, and taxpayers shouldn't fund it, but other than vote, again, it's their choice....

But what you need to get is their absolute mindset that such actions are OK. If they care so little for their own flesh and blood in that sense...what do you think we are to them?

Brutus Out

What do you think I'm talking about here? This is it, this is the revolution.

Either join in, or sit it out.
Call me the defeatist, but I'm out.

When they start exicuting gun owners in the street it will be a different story.

They are smart. They know going the slow erroding path is the path to what they want.

I know I am a half boiled frog.

I still have too much to lose to go full blown Bundy.

Thank you for taking the time to put this out here, a lot of work for sure.

One huge problem, (I think), we have is that "We" are a minority, in this part of the nation anyway. Seems like there's just way too many people that believe "No one needs _______". How do you fight that? I personally feel the only thing we have on our side is the constitution/2nd amendment. I don't know but I'm afraid that if it were put to a national vote, where every person legal to vote voted, that the 2nd amendment would go down.

People are not born republicans, people are not born democrats, they're not born gun owners, and for nearly the last 150 years, no one has been born here a slave.

Call me the defeatist, but I'm out.

When they start exicuting gun owners in the street it will be a different story.

They are smart. They know going the slow erroding path is the path to what they want.

I know I am a half boiled frog.

I still have too much to lose to go full blown Bundy.

I asked you to donate food to a local foodbank, I asked you to go make friends.

I asked you to donate food to a local foodbank, I asked you to go make friends.
In that sense I'm good. I donate time to work with ODF to build fire safe ranges in our backyard. I give my firearms away to those that are interested in them and wish to learn more about the hobby/recreation. I give ammo to those in need that can not get it on there own. I participate here in clean ups around various forests to in hopes keep the recreational use of our forest lands alive. I support local vendors that keep our recreation alive.

Joining the revolution that doesn't exist to turn up arms against those that haven't truly done us any physical harm. I'm out.

if we only had a national association ....a collective voice:rolleyes:
meh!

the world is crooked and on fire

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top