JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a small (but growing) list of gun shops that i will no longer buy from because of their price mark-ups (yes i know free market, they can do what they want bla bla bla)
the store that i will miss shopping at the most is Surplus ammo and Arms. "home of the $53 Pmag"

another shop i will never go back to is Butches. i went in there a little bit ago and they wanted to charge me 14.99 for a box of 7.62x39.

and the store that actually pissed me off the most is adventure sports in lynnwood. 2 of my buddys had a kel tec PMR 30 on back order (from october) one got it for what they quoted him at 369ish in december. and when the 2nd one came in they wanted 750.

there are also 2 supporting vendors which i will no longer buy from, but becaue they pay the bills i wont call them out for being greedy.

I think one should give pro and cons.

Cons.
Roseburg Gub Shop $12.75 for a box 50 Remington 22LR 5x markup from 45 days ago.
MOA Roseburg $90 Pmags. Every rifle was marked up almost over night as much as 35%
and is still there. Boths stores now have a major attitude like they are doing you a favor.
Hey, I grew up in Roseburg!

Pro: Willamette Valley Arms, Independence Arms (Texas), RRC.

Con: (bunch of) Dicks, Impact Guns (Utah), any Discount Gun Store, Gun Zone, Cheaper than Missles

Agree with Impact Guns. I ordered 3 mags for my Buck Mark, which were in stock on the site. Took 2 months or so to ship out. Same price, but I had to contact them instead of them contacting me saying "Well, we messed up with the site...". Cheaper than Dirt gave me a weird feeling when times were still good, and now I don't consider them anymore.

Pro: Brightwater in Vancouver. Didn't go to extremes with their prices and are in general nice anyway. Bimart, although I haven't been able to find anything there, the fact they didn't go for the quick buck makes me like the place more. Unfortunately it's a little out of the way for everyday groceries.

I got no list. I have always bought where I could get the best price or where they had what I wanted at a price I could handle. Nothing has changed

Since I only buy .22 and shotgun ammo and have no need to worry about stockpiling (I have .22 ammo I bought in the early 80's) I make all my CF rifle and pistol ammo. I buy componets from On line classifed,s Bi Mart, Gun Shows, Sportsmans warehouse, Garage Sales, Friends etc. And when the prices went nuts I just quit buying. Since I buy constantly. I currently have more then I need.

OH and I don't shoot just to hear a gun go bang. So I shoot a lot less then a lot of the black rifle crowd.

There are so many places to hate, Cabela's customer service is a great place to start. We have a special place called "all American Arms" locally, that has plenty of stuff for sale at retail plus 100% or more.

I just got an email from BulkAmmo on a special 9mm deal. Only $700 for 1000 PMC rounds. What a steal! Let's see here. An hour plinking with my 9mm AR and Glocks with a buddy should only run me about $300.00. Archery, maybe archery would be fun.

In this ammo climate I wouldn't blacklist any company. If they've got it cheapest, I'm there.

Pro: West Coast Armory in Factoria (Bellevue, WA) near I-90 and 405. I've been posting updates in The Den section (paying members). They have 9mm and .45 ACP ammo at Dec/2012 prices (e.g. $17 for a box of 9mm FMJ, $25 for a box of .45 FMJ).

Peter

I like the Gun Zone.
It's a small family business.
Bought several guns and other stuff from Mr Hampto.
They sell what the distributor ships them.
They have no idea what's on the truck.
Bought my AR Windham from the Gun Zone.
Walked in and asked if they had any ARs.
Mr Hampto said a box came in not five minutes before.
We opened it to find a Windham Carbon Fiber R16M4FTT-CF1
$895
Fine folks, nice shop.

The gun industry is political as heck.
I support Bi-mart and other smaller mom and pop shops that try to make a fair living buying and selling. I have an Idea what the small guy is up against.
For instance Bi-mart can sell firearms cheaper than I could ever purchase them for. Forget about ammo, during the best of times I received an order for 175,000 boxes of .22 cal LR bullets for a rifle range. Honestly, Direct from Remington and every supplier I could muster with an order that big, I research for two weeks and could not beat Bi- marts every day price. Why? Ammo suppliers were not impressed with the number of 175,000 boxes of 50 LR. They wanted 250,000 minimum order for the first price drop. This was back in the late 1970s or early 1980s. Can't beat um Join um.

I chose one clear example, I can recall several S & W and other Examples also.

Mini 14 series 181 in SS, whole sale direct was $210.90. The market was dry for several years for the newly developed SS firearm.
Market to a FFL Dealer with no pull was up to $650.00 wholesale and with very limited availability.
I knew some folks back then who supplied arms to Bi-mart and other valued points of distribution. They were selling to there favorites this same firearm for $210.90 dealer. My cost was $650.00 Distributors from shot gun news and a few small distributors would sell to us. I was denied availability from the same powerful suppliers the big boys used no less than three times. At times I was buying guns from Bi-mart on sale waiting for the price to go up then putting them in the rack for resale. There is good reasons I can quote these prices I wanted a small gun shop in a small town so I tried my hand as a dealer involved with gun repair part time, for about fifteen or more years.

I never forgot the pinch or the politics involved in staying big.

Some of those over priced folks are crooks, others just want to get by and hope to go on vacation once every five years or so. After things normalize Don't forget the folks that might be your neighbors trying to pay for the building, parking lot and the hidden taxes the state requires them to pay that you as a consumer never have to reason with.
Silver Hand

I spent my last dime at NW Armory about a year ago. I went through my old receipts and found I was spending over $10,000 a year($18,000 in '09 alone) just for them to treat me like bubblegum. They can kiss my ***.

Fisherman's Marine won't get my money either. They sell their hot items to friends out the backdoor to sell to you for 3x retail. I have seen it with my own eyes too many times, no matter the weak denial from a manager that hasn't a clue.

The Gunbroker will not get any more $50 transfers out of me. If I ship 4 guns, I pay a $50 transfer per. Ridiculous.

Apparently owning a gun store affords you the right to live like royalty off the backs of the people. Do I even need to mention The Gun Room?

Do it, mention the Gun Room..I need a good laugh today. When I think of gun shops in Oregon I never even consider the gun room! DO they even sell stuff? I thought it was a museum!!

It looks to me like good old BI-mart has made a bunch of fans of late.+10, they always had most of us here. They may not carry AR's and hand guns any longer, but they have always been good to their customers, and that's a bunch more than can be said for some. And as a side note, I fully understand how hard it is for the little guy to pass on the savings that BI-Mart does, but Hathaways in Tillamook was never the "little guy. They have been the biggest retail outfit on the NW coast since their conception. They just know they can, so they (he) does. Ever drive past that two Million$ plus gated home on the west side of the road on Netarts bay?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top