JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am planning on stocking up on some liquor to add in my survival supplies.

Any ideas of some types I should purchase for bartering?

What types would be good for medical purposes?

How to use it. (Other then drinking it.)

Pain pills, anesthetics, laughing gas...other drugs probably want be that handy if the SHTF.

Liquor, alternatives?

Yeah me an a few bottles of Everclear had battles back in the old days.

I guess...Everclear
Jim Beam
Crown Royal
Jack Daniels
Vodka...would be a few. More anyone?

And how to use them. Everclear should sterilize about anything I would guess.

I stockpile cheap vodka (I hate the stuff tho) and lots of whiskey and some Bacardi.. main value is painkiller and barter

Might be a good idea to learn how to build a still, too

While you're at it, stockpile Hydrogen Peroxide and rubbing alcohol

I stockpile cheap vodka (I hate the stuff tho) and lots of whiskey and some Bacardi.. main value is painkiller and barter

Might be a good idea to learn how to build a still, too

On the Hydrogen Peroxide - I do know that it has a Limited shelf life.

If your going to store it - get the stuff from a Pool Supply store it is 30% and water it down yourself 10:1 ( the stuff that they sell in the store is 3% but don't spill the 30% on you skin it will turn it white and is effective at burning it.

The 70% Hydrogen Peroxide is Used as Jet Fuel. - Explosive stuff.

Hydrogen Peroxide ( if it is strong enough can dissolve Gold - lt is a poor mans Aqua Regia)

You can also get food grade Hydrogen Peroxide for internal use.

You mix a tablespoon of 3% (Food Grade) about 10 Drops of Iodine, 1tsp of Salt (NaCl) 1 tsp of Epson Salts, 1 Tsp Baking Soda. Will knock out a lot of bugs, but this is not meant to be medical advice.

I would stock up on Iodine while you still can - ( I take it almost daily - 90% of Americans are Iodine Deficient in America ) The KI pills are a poor after thought if the Balloon goes up you need to have Iodine in your system prior to any Radioactive Iodine fallout.

But Iodine is found in every bodily fluid from tears, to seminal fluid.

Pain pills, anesthetics, laughing gas...

Whippits
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipped-cream_charger

Buying quantities of the high-concentration Hydrogen Peroxide may also land you on a BATF watch-list. Remember the 'bomb maker' that was id'd by his shopping trip to the beauty-supply shop? Both key ingredients available...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TATP

It's so unstable it has no commercial value what so ever, but is the darling of the terrorist because it's 'relatively' easy to make from common ingredients, and the key reason so many bomb makers seem to blow themselves up.

MrB

If you have the proper connections, you can buy 100% ethanol from a chemical/laboratory supplier. Way cheaper than buying "alcohol" because you don't pay all the alcohol tax. It's completely safe to drink (it's slightly stronger than everclear).

when buying hard liquor for longer term storage (as opposed to drinking it within, say, a few months), make certain you get whatever it is packaged in glass bottles, NOT the plastic ones getting more common. There are some types of the clear plastic (PET) that leach ever so slight amounts of bad stuff into whatever they hold. There is a closely related type of plastic that is said not to do this (PETE), but, with alcohol inside it, I'd feel a lot safer knowing the stuff is touching nothing but glass. Good hootch will keep for years, unopened, in glass.

in my opinion i dont think liquor is useful. While it can ease the pain it will also lower your reaction to threats and impair thinking. gotta be 100% when your out in the bubblegum.

Ive got rubbing alcohol in my BOB. I can use that to treat a wound or for fuel to get a fire going.

for pain ive got tylenol (headaches), vicodin , and percocet but the latter two would only be used in a seriously painful situation where i may need to sew a wound or something.

Cold sore treatment to dry out *small* weeping wounds and as a minor numbing agent.

Antibiotics will be VERY valuable in a situation like that.. much more so than alcohol.

At fort knox they've got ENORMOUS stockpiles of pure morphine and antibiotics..:s0131:

Better start ordering your Poppy seeds..

Curious question for those who stockpile medication... what do you do to take account for the fact that they expire? You'd be quite hard pressed to find any medicines today, be they painkillers, or antibiotics, or whatever else that would still be good much more than 3 years from now. Granted, the expiration date isn't magic and the drug doesn't become useless overnight when the clock strikes midnight. IIRC the expiration date means the drug has changed in efficacy +/-5% from when it was manufactured. Suppose you've got enough Tylenol to last you 10 years, but after a year and a half it's all expired before you even use it, and five years down the line would still trust taking a medication that's several years expired?

Whippits
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipped-cream_charger

Thanks for reminding me, I need to get some

Buying quantities of the high-concentration Hydrogen Peroxide may also land you on a BATF watch-list. Remember the 'bomb maker' that was id'd by his shopping trip to the beauty-supply shop? Both key ingredients available...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TATP

It's so unstable it has no commercial value what so ever, but is the darling of the terrorist because it's 'relatively' easy to make from common ingredients, and the key reason so many bomb makers seem to blow themselves up.

MrB

Never fear, I only buy small quantities of the regular stuff at the local grocery store. It's great for wounds and as a mouthwash/homemade toothpaste

As a small side note:
Absinthe might be a good thing to include in smaller quantities.
It is usually a bit more of a premium liquor, those who drink it regularly prize it. This would make it decent barter bait.
It is relatively strong, so you could probably clean cuts with it.
It started life as folk medicine for upset stomachs and digestive ills.
The French foreign legion used to get issued small rations of Absinthe to put in their canteens to kill water borne parasites etc. (see the book Absinthe: History in a Bottle).
Also, if you are drinking water that has any kind of disagreeable taste, the licorice/anise/herbal palette might do a little to help mask any ick taste in the water.

Just a slightly different view on the topic.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top