JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I'm new to Oregon. Living in the east side of Hillsboro.

I'm a whiskey drinker.

Coming from a state were I can by it in every store I am finding it difficult to find a liquor store.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Reno911

Welcome to Oregon! I moved here from NH a bit over 5 years ago. Now, NH controls liquor sales too, however, they don't tax the snot out of you. Live Free or Die, and all that. I used to be able to pick up a fifth of Knob Creek for $20. Was our house bourbon then. Now, it's Ezra Brooks. Oh, well. There are plenty of things about Oregon that offset the increased cost of hooch.

As far as where to go; I have two recommendations for a whiskey drinker (and I do fancy myself a whiskey man);

Westmoreland Liquors on Millwaukee Blvd and Knapp (+/-) in Sellwood. That is my favorite. The wall of whiskey is impressive. The purveyors are quite knowledgable and friendly.

Uptown Liquors just over the top of the hill on Burnside in west Portland. Closer to you but way more popular with the "in" crowd. Harder to get your hands on what everyone else wants. There is a fella there that really knows his sh!t and isn't afraid to talk whiskey with you. He's usually wearing a football jersey.

If you go to Westmoreland (and you should; it's worth the trip) check out the Brooklyn Park Pub. Best whiskey bar in SE, maybe the whole city if you ask me.

Cheers,

DY

Wasn't it supposed to go the other way?

That was the hope, until the Olympia politicians decided they wanted to squeeze the drinking populace more.

I'm sorry. You're right. I meant the same price as it is in Oregon. I went to Vancouver shortly after the charge. Maybe it's gotten worse.

A lot of people drive down to Oregon because it is so much cheaper than trying to buy booze in Oregon.

If you are ever in Salem stop by and take a look in the Liquor Outlet at 5107 Commercial St SE Salem, OR 97306.
I believe they are the biggest Liquor store in Oregon and they are fun just to stop by and look around, they have tons of different Liquors you have never seen before and they now have a Growler filling station if you are into beer. They also have cool events, prizes you can enter to win and they do samplings quite often.

This thread started fun and turned to depressing!

I'll just make sure to stock up on what I need on my trips back to NV and such.

I'll let those here know when I leave. Sounds like group buys may be needed.

This thread started fun and turned to depressing!

I'll just make sure to stock up on what I need on my trips back to NV and such.

I'll let those here know when I leave. Sounds like group buys may be needed.

Jeez, sorry, my post wasn't meant to be negative.

I really intended to steer you toward a couple of places that you will find a really good selection of what you are looking for. Your quality of life has increased an order of magnitude above the increased cost of booze. Don't dwell on it. There is a reason everyone that craps on WA/OR liquor policies/laws hasn't packed up and moved to the promised land.

You're in a good place. If you decide to check out Westmoreland Liquors and would like to meet up at Brooklyn Park for a drink, I'd be game. PM me and let's get merry.

However, I will take advantage of an offer to "Smokey and the Bandit" a few cases of Knob the next time you go to NV. Is the price that much better?

I was just being sarcastic. Still learning all the ins and outs of OR.

I appreciate all the recommendations everyone.

Jeez, sorry, my post wasn't meant to be negative.

I really intended to steer you toward a couple of places that you will find a really good selection of what you are looking for. Your quality of life has increased an order of magnitude above the increased cost of booze. Don't dwell on it. There is a reason everyone that craps on WA/OR liquor policies/laws hasn't packed up and moved to the promised land.

You're in a good place. If you decide to check out Westmoreland Liquors and would like to meet up at Brooklyn Park for a drink, I'd be game. PM me and let's get merry.

However, I will take advantage of an offer to "Smokey and the Bandit" a few cases of Knob the next time you go to NV. Is the price that much better?

I went to Reno last year, the prices are not as good as they used to be when my dad would make runs in the 70's to stock up. Some things are the same price and some things are only $3-$5 cheaper

I went to Reno last year, the prices are not as good as they used to be when my dad would make runs in the 70's to stock up. Some things are the same price and some things are only $3-$5 cheaper

True and false. Sales were better. There's also many wholesale liquor stores where the price on average would be close to ten dollars less than your common grocery store.

If you are ever in Salem stop by and take a look in the Liquor Outlet at 5107 Commercial St SE Salem, OR 97306.
I believe they are the biggest Liquor store in Oregon and they are fun just to stop by and look around, they have tons of different Liquors you have never seen before and they now have a Growler filling station if you are into beer. They also have cool events, prizes you can enter to win and they do samplings quite often.
Husband and I call that "the fancy liquor store." Their selection is excellent.

True and false. Sales were better. There's also many wholesale liquor stores where the price on average would be close to ten dollars less than your common grocery store.

I did go to a wholesale Liquor store "Ben's Discount Liquors" I made a list of prices from Oregon and compared them when I got to Reno.
The prices were not that much better, I will not Lie some prices were good on certain bottles like Crown Royal, Jack Daniels and some others. But once you calculate gas, food and a hotel it is not worth just to drive to Reno to get booze, you would have to buy a truck load to make it worth it.

Now if you are going to Reno for vacation or are passing through than of course stock up on some discounted booze, what I was trying to say was it is not worth to just drive to Reno specifically to try to save money on Liquor.

I feel you. I won't be making special trips to Reno just for alcohol. However on family visits and such. I'll be bringing back a bunch. As well as as much ammo as I can find.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top