JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been wanting to get one for years. I haven't had time for much research, but I am trying to find one that is small compact, easy to use, durable, and cheap as I can get it. Anyone else have one? Have preferences? Suggestions?

You can build one easy enough. Unless I'm mistaken, to operate a still to manufacture alcohol for human consumption you need excessively expensive liquor licenses and permits from the ATF. Now if you were to use it to distill alcohol for operating a motor or as a fuel additive that might be a bit different - not sure. I always wondered if it was legal to use one to distill wine into brandy - technically you wouldn't be making alcohol - it's already in the wine you are distilling and the alcohol tax has been paid on it - it is simply a matter of removing the majority of impurities from the wine. Think of it as wine concentrate - just add water ;)

It's really sad that such a fun hobby can't be less regulated. From my prior researches it will cost you around 1k per year for taxes, fees, permits, plus having to register every piece of equipment AND your recipes. Unless you're actually going to sell it or have a brewery already it just doesn't pencil out.

Wrong- you can make up to 200 gallons a year for personal consumption. You can make as much as you want if it is Denatured, that is, treated so it cannot be consumed.

My understanding is that you can make 200 gallons of Beer and Wine for personal consumption. You cannot make ANY liquor for consumption without the special distillers license which is beyond the reach of the average person simply wanting to make some for themselves at home. I do believe there is a special fuel making license that is much more readily attainable.... not sure about the need for denaturing or such.

I wonder if the new induction heating coils that are the current trend in the culinary world would make a good safe heating element for a still, you can set the temperature, the element doesn't get hot to touch, and with that accuracy you can more easily get methanol removed first to get a cleaner final ethanol capture.

Not that I have partaken in this or anything, but it's fairly easy/cheap/safe to do it with a cut keg shell, propane heater, and condenser coil.

Again, I wouldn't have any experience with this but if a few college kids can run it in a garage I imagine it's not too hard, and it could supply you with some real jar lightning.

And again, never having partaken in this ever in my life not once, yeah, but the internet is your friend. Look on craigslist for a propane heater suitable for it, and a keg and cut it yourself or find one that has been cut.

You can control the temperature of a still if you use a heat source that has a temperature control.

It would be smart, at a small scale to use a temp control heat source to raise the liquid to say 69C to allow the methanol to boil off, then raise to 80C to get the ethanol, or am I missing something in between that would make that a poor choice?

I am reviewing the links. I am thinking multi-purposes here. To clean water if I must. Liquor. Possible high enough content for gas purposes in small engines. Its hard to imagine but I very easily could see us being put into survival mode and I think all the time about what is the next step towards mobility, safety, food, and security for the family.

Starter-Kit--Bronze.jpg

Starter Kit- Bronze at Brewhaus

Starter-Kit--Bronze.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR