JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The biggest part of my problem was not getting all of the original finish off with the stripper. This "finish" was extremely resistant to the chemical strip that I used. I've never had this much trouble refinishing a stock before and I've done a few. Oh well, Live n learn. If I ever do a gun like this again I'll paint it!

Regarding the Bic lighter spring as a cure for a heavy trigger, a similar remedy worked for me on a neighbor's Savage Axis (accurate guns hampered by a 7.5lb+ trigger). The factory spring is nearly as stout as a disc brake return spring. Gutting a "push-click" ballpoint pen for its spring to replace the original produced a very nice 3.5lb letoff.

I wouldn't worry too much about a 12 year-old under supervision with a good trigger. In fact, it could be an excellent lesson in riflery: Let him shoot the gun with the heavy trigger for awhile, along with some minor documentation of the groups he gets. Then let him watch while you install the new spring and let him go back at the target.

A good trigger can be the very heart of accuracy. He'll hold that lesson the rest of his life.

The biggest part of my problem was not getting all of the original finish off with the stripper. This "finish" was extremely resistant to the chemical strip that I used. I've never had this much trouble refinishing a stock before and I've done a few. Oh well, Live n learn. If I ever do a gun like this again I'll paint it!
Scrape it, a clean square metal edge. Last time I bought cheap wood chisels busted the handles off and dulled the cutting edge. Hold the side of the chisel 90 degrees to the surface and draw it to you with the grain. It will shave the surface and leave it smoother than sandpaper, if done right it will remove less wood.

Scrape it, a clean square metal edge. Last time I bought cheap wood chisels busted the handles off and dulled the cutting edge. Hold the side of the chisel 90 degrees to the surface and draw it to you with the grain. It will shave the surface and leave it smoother than sandpaper, if done right it will remove less wood.
Thank you for the tip. I used a sharp 3/4" chisel and scraped an area that had been giving me fits in less than 5 minutes. It did turn out nicely smooth, too.

Thank you for the tip. I used a sharp 3/4" chisel and scraped an area that had been giving me fits in less than 5 minutes. It did turn out nicely smooth, too.
Careful with the sharp end of the chisel. Glad it worked out. Glass works too, think small picture frames. I stay away from it though, the sight of my own blood gives me flashbacks.
Plus no pricey chemical strippers, or large amounts of sandpaper.

I have a nice selection of chisels and am used to working with my hands. This should help immensely. Thanks again.

In the past month I've given a fair amount of effort to this project. I got to a point where I decided enough was enough. Put on a few more coats of oil and then put it together.
Funny part of the story. Monday I took my grandson to meet his mom and he was asking me what I was going to give him for his birthday. Like normal I told him I wasn't telling. He has to wait until his birthday. Then I mentioned that I need to put it together and he asked where it was. I told him he'd been walking by it for a year! There's nothing new about guns and gun parts laying about the house and shop and this project has gone on right under his nose. :)
Tomorrow is his birthday. This time I'm ready.
Done.jpg
I also have a nice little scope for it, but we'll save that for a bit later. At least I don't need to refinish the scope!

You guys with kids comin' up, take note.

The boy will learn the gun with irons, so he'll know everything about shooting that gun before it has a scope.

(My vote for "Worst First Gun" for a kid is a scoped semi-auto.)

In the past month I've given a fair amount of effort to this project. I got to a point where I decided enough was enough. Put on a few more coats of oil and then put it together.
Funny part of the story. Monday I took my grandson to meet his mom and he was asking me what I was going to give him for his birthday. Like normal I told him I wasn't telling. He has to wait until his birthday. Then I mentioned that I need to put it together and he asked where it was. I told him he'd been walking by it for a year! There's nothing new about guns and gun parts laying about the house and shop and this project has gone on right under his nose. :)
Tomorrow is his birthday. This time I'm ready.
View attachment 1111580
I also have a nice little scope for it, but we'll save that for a bit later. At least I don't need to refinish the scope!
For a year of off and on , That came out nice enough! DR

Today was the day. We had work to do and that was my primary focus, but it was also our first opportunity for my grandson to shoot his new rifle. Wasn't going to miss that chance. Got it sighted in at a little over 20 yards then started banging away at targets from 15 yards to the gong at 100.

This gift was a success.

First shot fired.

The first shot.jpg

You guys with kids comin' up, take note.

The boy will learn the gun with irons, so he'll know everything about shooting that gun before it has a scope.

(My vote for "Worst First Gun" for a kid is a scoped semi-auto.)
I agree with you. Thank you!

I think that children and adults should learn how to shoot safely and well from the gitgo without using any scopes at all.

Later on, if a person needs or wants to use a scope to hunt, plink or compete - have at it.

Disclaimer: I do NOT use scopes, I did not want them on MY own firearms, and I have tried a few on other people's rifles.

I do not like to use scopes at all for MY own shooting, I do not hunt, and to each their own. I PREFER iron sights - period.

I am not knocking people who need or want to use scopes when they hunt. My husband has a couple of scopes on a FEW very specific hunting rifles of his own.

He hunts in various locations, different terrain and distances here in Montana.

I never had children but if I did have them, they would learn how to shoot safely and well with iron sights.

Most likely, my late husband and I would have trained them with a bolt action, single shot or lever action rifle.

I learned to shoot using handguns FIRST and, later on, in life too. Handguns were my THING and my favorite firearm from the gitgo.

Later on, within the first year or two of buying my own firearms, back east, I did buy 3 sweet rifles.

Old Lady Cate

Today was the day. We had work to do and that was my primary focus, but it was also our first opportunity for my grandson to shoot his new rifle. Wasn't going to miss that chance. Got it sighted in at a little over 20 yards then started banging away at targets from 15 yards to the gong at 100.

This gift was a success.

First shot fired.

View attachment 1119301
Great story, nice pictures and happy news!

You did a fantastic job!

I am proud of you and your grandson even though I do not really KNOW you offline.

Take care!

Happy birthday to him too!

Cate

This gift was a success.

First shot fired.

View attachment 1119301
It isn't uncommon to come across threads here - and on other sites, too - that are interesting, or educational, or emotionally appealing. However, this is the first thread I've ever followed that has caught me up all three ways. Thanks for the ride.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top