JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was reading up on silencers the other day, specifically for a 22 rifle.
In one post a fellow said that he doesn't bother with them on a 22 rifle, he just buys standard velocity ammo, & puts a linear comp on his threaded bbl.
I thought I would give it a try.
I bought some CCI SV ammo, & a Kaw Valley Precision 3.25" Magnum comp. to put on my dedicated AR-22.
Wow... I'm impressed!
I'm certain an actual silencer would be more impressive, but this noise level is very acceptable. I would recommend this combo to anyone looking to quiet down their rifle.

linear comp.jpg

Do whatever you want.
The beauty of muzzle attachments is you're not committed to keep them in place; they'll attach and remove in seconds. In fact, I probably have 2 muzzle devices for every one firearm.
And a suppressed 22 is Hollywood quiet.

20230406_124544.jpg

Tromix makes one also. As I understand it they don't reduce the sound they just direct it. I have no idea if this one works as I've never shot the gun without it but I like nicely machined stuff regardless.

97038CA7-BE53-47FB-8CDF-F39EEDAD4755.jpeg 726AD866-7B7B-4388-9121-FFC7F5B0A80B.jpeg 0B369C5F-EACE-4261-B82B-F10EB6622FC8.jpeg

or

View attachment 1399329

View attachment 1399327
View attachment 1399328
Wow $175 for a .22 muzzle device. There are good .22 suppressors that cost less than that (excluding stamp).

Wow $175 for a .22 muzzle device. There are good .22 suppressors that cost less than that (excluding stamp).
Very valid point.

There are folks that are terrified of registration and are willing to spend a good amount of money to circumvent doing so.

I want to say that's why these sorts of things exist. It's almost a suppressor, but it isn't…

I want to say that's why these sorts of things exist. It's almost a suppressor, but it isn't…
ok Im interested. A sound mitigation device, not a suppressor.

I cant tell the sound difference from this video but still interested in how much sound is reduced.

ok Im interested. A sound mitigation device, not a suppressor.

I cant tell the sound difference from this video but still interested in how much sound is reduced.

My guesses assuming subsonics: sound reduced to shooter's ear? probably by a small amount. Need to use mil-spec db meter with it on and off to quantify how much. I've used small forward directing muzzle brake with .22 and it was zero effect to my ears (I did not measure but tested on and of a couple times on rifle). But that was a tiny little muzzle device shown here:
A72267AA-D9CC-4543-9F78-D263628993EE.jpeg

Sound report of gun (ie to others)? hard to say, depends on where they are standing and how far away. I would still guess a very small amount.

My guess is on pistol it won't do much at all. Pistol is low 150s to high 150s db. Rifle is low to high 140s depending on barrel length. See pistol db numbers here:
01DE4E25-6F7E-4330-878B-9EE512487DE4.jpeg
The big takeaway from the above graphic (compiled from a Mrgunsngear video) is that a large suppressor is 82% quieter than a small suppressor (on a pistol). A blast forward device is going to be only a fraction as quiet as a small suppressor.

My experience is a $107 (on sale) suppressor will decrease sound on 18" rifle to about 110-112 using subsonics. A pop can opening is 110db (both measured at the same time in same place with mil spec meter and to mil spec protocols). That's about an 88% drop in noise (can you say "mouse fart"?).

Here is a chart that shows how db reduction relates to reduction in perceived sound to your ears:

8D7CA108-BDEF-4C9A-A232-3BB16A1E139C.jpeg
Suppressors work on both long barrel rifles and short barreled pistols with some loss of effectiveness on pistols but not much (assuming normal suppressor size, not mini) As I recall pistol measured at same time same ammo same location was 118 db.

In summary:
1) use subsonics
2) longer barrels = quieter
3) a big suppressor will make a 140s db rifle 110db quiet, and a 150s pistol 118-122 db quiet
4) a small suppressor will make a 140s db rifle about 118ish quiet (as I recall, I would have to look up my numbers), and pistol low 140s quiet

Here are some of my measurements from another thread (mil spec meter and protocols but indoors). I believe these were all indoors but can't recall. In contrast the numbers mentioned above like pop can and db numbers are all outdoor numbers on dry leaf covered ground (it makes a difference what's on the ground and whether it's wet or not). Note that "small suppressor" as listed below is a normal sized suppressor, the "big suppressor" was a very large volume one, also "loud hand clap" is the loudest I could do, not an audience type hand clap:

32AF1282-1FF1-42BA-B41C-006082C27CE0.jpeg

Bottom line: don't waste your time and money. Buy a $150 suppressor that you can use to make rifles and pistols whisper quiet (if you use subs). Creative arms is $150 before sale price and I'm sure there are others in that price range.

Db numbers are a little abstract sometimes. For reference here is the sound of a 22 quiet in 18" barrel with normal size suppressor relative to dropping pencils, pens, scissors onto wood floor from height of 3 feet. Not that this is a bolt action. Most semi autos would be about 5 db louder (ie 30% louder) roughly due to the action noise.

Last Edited:
My guesses assuming subsonics: sound reduced to shooter's ear? probably by a small amount. Need to use mil-spec db meter with it on and off to quantify how much. I've used small forward directing muzzle brake with .22 and it was zero effect to my ears (I did not measure but tested on and of a couple times on rifle). But that was a tiny little muzzle device shown here:
View attachment 1402380

Sound report of gun (ie to others)? hard to say, depends on where they are standing and how far away. I would still guess a very small amount.

My guess is on pistol it won't do much at all. Pistol is low 150s to high 150s db. Rifle is low to high 140s depending on barrel length. See pistol db numbers here:
View attachment 1402381
The big takeaway from the above graphic (compiled from a Mrgunsngear video) is that a large suppressor is 82% quieter than a small suppressor (on a pistol). A blast forward device is going to be only a fraction as quiet as a small suppressor.

My experience is a $107 (on sale) suppressor will decrease sound on 18" rifle to about 110-112 using subsonics. A pop can opening is 110db (both measured at the same time in same place with mil spec meter and to mil spec protocols). That's about an 88% drop in noise (can you say "mouse fart"?).

Here is a chart that shows how db reduction relates to reduction in perceived sound to your ears:

View attachment 1402402
Suppressors work on both long barrel rifles and short barreled pistols with some loss of effectiveness on pistols but not much (assuming normal suppressor size, not mini) As I recall pistol measured at same time same ammo same location was 118 db.

In summary:
1) use subsonics
2) longer barrels = quieter
3) a big suppressor will make a 140s db rifle 110db quiet, and a 150s pistol 118-122 db quiet
4) a small suppressor will make a 140s db rifle about 118ish quiet (as I recall, I would have to look up my numbers), and pistol low 140s quiet

Here are some of my measurements from another thread (mil spec meter and protocols but indoors). I believe these were all indoors but can't recall. In contrast the numbers mentioned above like pop can and db numbers are all outdoor numbers on dry leaf covered ground (it makes a difference what's on the ground and whether it's wet or not). Note that "small suppressor" as listed below is a normal sized suppressor, the "big suppressor" was a very large volume one, also "loud hand clap" is the loudest I could do, not an audience type hand clap:

View attachment 1402387

Bottom line: don't waste your time and money. Buy a $150 suppressor that you can use to make rifles and pistols whisper quiet (if you use subs). Creative arms is $150 before sale price and I'm sure there are others in that price range.
What I like about the device is you dont have to use the shroud and its a regular muzzle brake. With the shroud it directs the sound forward...
I dont expect it to be much improvement but as someone who doesnt want to pay the govt for a permission slip and as a hunter I think this is useful.
Plus I wonder what other things can be useful on the external threads.....

What I like about the device is you dont have to use the shroud and its a regular muzzle brake. With the shroud it directs the sound forward...
I dont expect it to be much improvement but as someone who doesnt want to pay the govt for a permission slip and as a hunter I think this is useful.
Plus I wonder what other things can be useful on the external threads.....
Funny about hunting. I've shot animals with the gun shown in the video above (and others) and they are like, "Fookin el' John, what you doin lying there dead like that?". Then shoot the next one. They can't hear anything. Then they figure out what's going on and scatter. One time I took three squirrels on the same branch, just like sergeant York ha ha, back of the line first.

Funny about hunting. I've shot animals with the gun shown in the video above (and others) and they are like, "Fookin el' John, what you doin lying there dead like that?". Then shoot the next one. They can't hear anything. Then they figure out what's going on and scatter. One time I took three squirrels on the same branch, just like sergeant York ha ha, back of the line first.
I suppose if Id never heard gunfire in my life then heard it for the first time Id be like what have I been missing my whole life.... and then Id either hit me or go over my head....

:p

I suppose if Id never heard gunfire in my life then heard it for the first time Id be like what have I been missing my whole life.... and then Id either hit me or go over my head....

:p
Actually where I hunt they scatter like mad at the first shot if unsuppressed but suppressed they literally don't hear anything.

I don't know if it counts as a linear comp but I've been running this on my NRL gun for some time (taking up space until the actual suppressor arrived)

I don't think it did really a damn thing for sound mitigation. @Reno has been standing right there while I've shot a round. Was this thing quiet to you or pretty regular sounding?

ED493DD7-776D-4A3B-B992-5CEE8BE92F60.png

I've shot a lot of 22. Loud and quiet.

While I've never owned any of the linear comps in question I have owned a Noveske Pig. I put it in one of my 22s once as a test and it is noticeable to the bare ear. I've also tried a cheap 4 piece AK style booster on a 22.

@Hueco has some 22" bull barrel with that linear comp at the end. The barrel itself is a damn harmonic dampener so by the time all of the powder burns in a sub sonic round getting through it, if the comp is say 20% affective at redirecting the left over gas that is following the bullet out and hitting atmosphere at super sonic speeds, I'd say that is worthy. His set up is fairly quiet just by itself because of the barrel though. It dampens a lot of the sound as is.

Now with these contraptions. Capturing gas is capturing gas. That is what suppressors do. They capture and slow the pressurized air behind the bullet. That air is what causes noise when the bullet leaves the barrel, if the bullet isn't traveling faster than the speed of sound it itself doesn't make much noise itself. Think of throwing a football. Does it make much noise? Nope. Place a football in some sort of air cannon, it's loud, because the compressed air moves a bunch of air all at once once the football leaves the cannon device. Those sound waves are moving faster, therefore louder. Sonic boom is the same thing, something travels fast enough to move enough air fast enough to cause a sound. People do the same thing, they move a lot of air against their throat to vibrate it, less compressed air it's quite more air it's loud.

Anyways before I ramble myself off track.

Air moving is the cause sound right? So if you capture any of that moving air it will reduce sound right?

So these thing's really push the envelope on what is and isn't a suppressor. If anything they are just really poorly designed suppressors on purpose to find the legal gray area. Though I'm not sure if Witt machine has any sort of paperwork from the ATF stating it isn't a suppressor. Could be similar to the Fart trigger where they simply didn't ask.

In my humble opinion, in relatively low pressure cartridges, these will reduce sound as they are working with less air. On high pressure cartridges, you'll get some relief but it will still be loud. It might only be 5-10% if that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top