JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Currently. None. Buy all that you want. Only wait time is the fact that their are roughly 3000-5000 people in queue for the background check to clear. No mandatory wait times as of yet in the state of Oregon.

Selling, is a grey area. Selling a collection of inheritance, you should be fine. Buying and selling to make a profit, IE you are in the business from profiting off of buying and selling firearms, that would require licensing. There isn't exactly a number attached to any of this, and I really don't have any precedence to show as far as anyone being arrested and charged for not having a license whilst buying and selling, it just isn't something I'd chance. I know off at least two members here that have transaction history going back years that must be close to if not boarder line a business without an FFL license...

I've heard talk in other states regarding limits, taxed, and so fourth. I just went through a bgc a few days ago and was thrown into queue with about 4500 in line waiting. good point on the for profit angle too.

Currently. None. Buy all that you want. Only wait time is the fact that their are roughly 3000-5000 people in queue for the background check to clear. No mandatory wait times as of yet in the state of Oregon.

Selling, is a grey area. Selling a collection of inheritance, you should be fine. Buying and selling to make a profit, IE you are in the business from profiting off of buying and selling firearms, that would require licensing. There isn't exactly a number attached to any of this, and I really don't have any precedence to show as far as anyone being arrested and charged for not having a license whilst buying and selling, it just isn't something I'd chance. I know off at least two members here that have transaction history going back years that must be close to if not boarder line a business without an FFL license...

And being in the business of buying/selling is mostly federal laws/regs, not state.

The disposition of two or more pistols or revolvers to any nonlicensee during a period of 5 consecutive business days must be reported on ATF Form 3310.4

Only regulation I know of, not the made up one of "making a profit on a firearm sale makes you a dealer" is above. If you buy 2 or more pistols the FFL is required to report you to the ATF.

Not the made up one "making a profit on a firearm sale makes you a dealer"
Please re read. Never said that selling a gun makes you a dealer. Just stated it is a grey area, and that I have no legal precedence where buying and selling at any number of firearms may require a license. I can point in the direction of at least two users that buy and sell all the time here, or at least appear to, that I'm fairly certain are not licensed FFLs. No lawyer here, nor is it any of my business to pretend to be one.

was wondering if there were limits on selling/buying firearms in Oregon? either a wait time between selling/buying a firearm and # of firearms at one time?
How much you can buy is limited to what you can afford, just like pretty much any other good or service. Selling is trickier if we're talking large quantities and other factors. I just consign mine.

How much you can buy is limited to what you can afford, just like pretty much any other good or service. Selling is trickier if we're talking large quantities and other factors. I just consign mine.

There are grey areas, and there are fairly clear cut cases on both sides of that grey area.

E.G. of "selling" and not "being in the business", I traded off about three or four (I forget) firearms for some cash and a SIG pistol. I inherited those firearms when my father passed.

Another example of not "being in the business", would be if I decided to get out of firearms altogether and sold every firearm that I currently own (without counting them up, maybe 30 firearms). Most of these firearms I have had for years and I have shot most of them. While ATF might take interest in me selling that many guns at one time, I doubt they would since I am sure they know when I bought most of them.

OTOH, if I bought a five Glock 17s one day at a single FFL dealer, and turned around and sold them the next week, the ATF would probably come knocking on my door, or at least some ATF agent would take an interest in me. If I did this kind of thing repeatedly, they probably would be very interested. Generally, a person who buy multiple guns like that with the intention of reselling them for a profit is "in the business" and should have an FFL license and place of business.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top