JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got to shoot my new six shooter today.

Thought of this thread.

Shot some shorts and even calibre through it. Definitely will be a favorite and something I'll start my son on in time. Definitely kid friendly with parental supervision.

D3A7268C-6DA4-4D4F-8A8B-6352DCF63CD5.jpeg

I have a CO2 bb gun that is a hoot. PPK style. You could start with that until she gets the no muzzle sweep, load chamber pointed downrange, and safe trigger finger usage down. I don't have to tell you but eye protection is always a must. Especially with BB guns.

If you are going to shoot a P22 suppressed make sure you check the slide on the inside for cracks using dye-pen often. I had one slide shear off and hit me in the face is using standard ammo. Those slides are made of zinc. Cheap crap, but fun. I'd recommend a Ruger Mark 1 or 2 too.

Enjoy these golden years with kiddo. I know I did with my Dad.

We did some shooting together with the potato-heads; with little girl shooting her Daisy. She loved it and is starting to understand the basics. It was good being together, but I was also reminded that we have to pass these skills along to the next generation.

Anyway, after they went down for a nap, I spoke with momma-bear and she thinks for birthdays this summer a Red Ryder for the little boy and an air pistol for the little girl. (Their birthdays are within a few weeks of each other.) So, we have time.

Thanks all for the thoughts, etc. Much appreciated, my friends. :)

We did some shooting together with the potato-heads; with little girl shooting her Daisy. She loved it and is starting to understand the basics. It was good being together, but I was also reminded that we have to pass these skills along to the next generation.

Anyway, after they went down for a nap, I spoke with momma-bear and she thinks for birthdays this summer a Red Ryder for the little boy and an air pistol for the little girl. (Their birthdays are within a few weeks of each other.) So, we have time.

Thanks all for the thoughts, etc. Much appreciated, my friends. :)

Good job Dad! Mine is 7. This is the best time to make them build memories and safety that will last them a lifetime. We need more positive posts like this.

Hands down get a vintage Healthways Plainsmam 177. Got one for my girlfriend and she loves it. Runs on co2, shoots about 100 bbs per charge, nice heavy zinc casting, easy reseal. Lots of clean examples out there for less then $45. Looks like a luger, dead reliable. Nearly every example I run into runs like new.

Last Edited:
Thank you @Lawndart. I will look into this. (And thank you for the reminder; I need to get on this project. Though I already have the boy's Red Rider acquired, wrapped, and stored at my office. That and wife's birthday jewelry acquired, as I am forward thinking. But I digress. :s0112:)

My kids enjoy shooting single action .22 revolvers a ton as a first pistol, and 2nd place for them is an old Hi Standard Sport King. The air gun pistol never caught on — they're either running around with their bb/pellet rifles or they want to shoot .22s.

Circling back to this as we're getting closer to bday. My main concern is an air pistol with a small enough grip profile for someone who is an (almost) eight year old girl.

Me and her mother were up in Eugene to visit a friend and have a weekend away, but we briefly stopped by a Cabelas whilst up there. There was like one pellet pistol and one airsoft handgun. Both, roughly, were patterned after a firearm (Beretta 92 and PPK), so too big of a grip for a lil' person. (Parenthetically, wow, even that retailer had like zip for ammo.)

Anyway, open to ideas, naturally focused for someone of that stature. Thanks. :)

Seeing as you collect stamps like I do. I finally broke down and stamped my sons rifle. The Savage Rascal I mentioned earlier in this thread. It is at Tim's to get its final cut, threaded 1/2x28, fluted to reduce even more weight, and Cerakoted. Should be a great pint sized learning tool in time to come. It still needs a cheek riser of some sort.

664D1B28-7E32-4081-9553-B156A606FBCA.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top