JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went out with a friend to the Coast Range for a bow hunt on the first day of the Deer season. I was along as a spotter to see how it all worked and then decide it I wanted to invest in another hobby. Bows are not cheap!

Did not see any critters but had a great time walking the logging roads and seeing the sights. Lots of deer/elk and bear sign. We did see a gut pile where a bear had been skinned out.

Looks like a lot of fun but walking does not cut it. Need to sit in a treestand or blind and keep quiet on a nice trail or water hole if you want to bag your game.

I may be spending some money for the archery equipment soon. My friend has a Martin package, 50lb bow and it is a joy to shoot. What do you recomend as a good buy??

I think he spent between $400-500 to get started. Included arrows, sights, trigger, bow and setup.

Go to an archery shop and get fitted by a pro. You can go on-line or go to a big-box sporting goods store and save some money up-front, but you won't get very good service down the road. Bows are odd animals and need tuning, upkeep, and TLC. You only get that from a local shop, IMHO.

There is a bow shop in Tigard, off of Hwy 99, and another one in Oregon City. Checkout all the different bows (compound, recurve and longbows) and see what is right for you. Some bowhunters feel the need to have the newest and fastest bow that comes out every year so check out Craigslist, I have seen alot of good deals.

i'm going to have to disagree partially with the pro shop suggestions.

If you know what you want:
if you don't by a bow from the pro shop they will all still gladly help you with your bow. you can get them sometimes hundreds of dollars cheaper online or even 500 dollars cheaper from ebay. take your savings then go to the pro shop and spend less then 50 bux to tune the bow.

however if you have no idea what you want or even what stats you should be looking at i agree with going to a pro shop. many of them have ranges in the stores so you can try them all and pick the one that fits you best. but it will cost a lot more.

i don't condone this: cause if someone helps you a lot and picks the perfect bow for you i believe you should buy it form them even if it cost more
however you can be a prick go to a pro shop and them fit a bow, rest, and sight to you. then you can go buy the bow and all the components online, then go to a different shop to have them set it up for you and save lots of money.
this should only be an option if you are really strapped for cash, as i believe it is very rude especially if they take their time trying to help you.

There is a bow shop in Tigard, off of Hwy 99, and another one in Oregon City. Checkout all the different bows (compound, recurve and longbows) and see what is right for you. Some bowhunters feel the need to have the newest and fastest bow that comes out every year so check out Craigslist, I have seen alot of good deals.

The shop in Tigard is Archers Afield and a waist of your time and money! :s0159: I have stooped there several times over the years and every time it is the same, very bad service, way over priced and they make you feel like they are doing you a favor!

I have not been to the one on Mcgloughlin.

Kutch Archery is were i go for any service work. He sells new and used but mostly Bow Tec. The drive is a bit but the guy knows his stuff and his prices are fair. Plus there is a 3D range that you can do and its in the woods!

Dont spend alot of money on your first setup, I started with shooting compounds, changed to recurves and then fell in love with longbows. Figure out what your draw lenght is and keep your eyes open for a setup. Get something with a draw weight you comfortable with (dont over do it) and hit the woods walking the trails just stump shooting.

There is a bow shop in Oregon City? Where?

A big +1 for Broken Arrow I've been in there a few times this year. Great service, I'm not very knowledgeable on archery stuff as I'm pretty new but the guy's in there will tell what will work for you and your price range.

They have moved there shop from Mcgloughlin to downtown Milwaukie. Hope this helps and good luck with the search for a bow.

I love bow hunting! Archers Afield and Kutch's Archery are both knowledgeable in my experience.

My last two bows have been Bowtechs, and they've done the job. Since the technology is always changing, there are usually good deals to be found.

Best wishes.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top