Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Like a Nickel Finish...or Marine Coat??

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by JM218, Oct 9, 2011.

1. JM218

JM218 Seattle Member

I have an old beater shotgun that I am going to refinish. First thoughts were just to go with matte black but I really like the look of a marine coat or nickel finish. Anyone know of an inexpensive paint or whatever? Not sure if the answer is silver paint?? Seems like that might be too shiny and cheap looking. Will texture come into play? Has anyone gone this route? Nothing too sophisticated please. Wood furniture will be refinished as well but not painted of course.

2. bmw2

bmw2 Mount Vernon, Wa Active Member

Have you looked at the duracoat kits?

3. JM218

JM218 Seattle Member

A little bit, not really sure what I am looking at though. Need to learn more about Duracoat. Also don't have a airbrush or compressor.

4. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man rural Washington County, Oregon Active Member

I sprayed a junker pump-action shotgun (metal parts only) with green and black Rustoleum nearly 40 years ago and the stuff has never worn off or let it rust in the least. I did the black, let it dry then feathered through it in camo fashion with the OD green. Easy, cheap, and effective. It doesn't get much less sophisticated than that :)

5. bmw2

bmw2 Mount Vernon, Wa Active Member

They make a kit with a sprayer that doesn't need a compressor and have a brushed nickel color that looks like marinecoated guns, it's good stuff.

6. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

Parkerizing is cheap and easy to do. It's a very durable, dull finish that's actualy part of the metal, so it won't rub off.

H

7. JM218

JM218 Seattle Member

Thanks for the input everyone