JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bought a KelTec PF9 for the wife. She picked it out because it fit her hands. I kind of had my doubts, so I fired it first..Ouch! Finger pinching SOB! Lively too. Then when I looked at the cases, the primers were cratered. (over pressure?) I e-mailed KelTec and they said send it back to them. When it came back, it worked perfectly. Still lively though, so I bought the Twisted Industries .22 adapter. The wife loves it now and is getting really good with it. It's a .22 for practice and a 9mm for carry.
I told her when the adrenalin kicks in she wont even hear the bang.:D

Let me chime in for the LCP. Been carrying it for about a year. Run all sorts of ammo through it and have had zero malfunctions.

You can get a 7 round mag from Ruger. Then if if they ever get any more made, or if like me, you can find one on ebay, you can get the Magguts magazine spring kit, you then have gone from 6+1 to 8+1 with only a very small small increase in magazine butt size.

Anything else I should be looking at? 8.something ounces, 6 rounds of 380... always was hard to beat, but I've been out of the loop for a while - no idea what's come out in the last few years. Anything compare, for the size and weight?

Thanks gentlemen

-Ben
I'm a martial artist, but old and sometimes more than martial art is required. But I'm 5'2" and every gun out there was too much for me to carry all the time. I carried a .22 magnum NAA and it's very good on weight, but you only have five rounds, unless you buy the new one which the cylinder swings out like a real gun. Yet, it takes time to load.
Finally I just happen to see a Ruger .380 walking by the guns. With the new materials, that gun was super light. The only thing is that the salesman really didn't explain well enough to me about the two types of Ruger .380. I bought the Ruger LCP where after the last round is fired, the slide does not lock open, which means you have have remember you have one last round in it and then load a mag or you'll have to re-chamber to fire again. The other Ruger .380 is what you want.
After getting it, I felt the weight some but I loved the more powerful round and the gun fit my small hands perfectly. After going through many holsters I found the metal clip solution. It attaches to the side of you Ruger .380 and you can clip it on to your belt, pocket. I clip it onto my edge of my pocket with half the handle sticking out, otherwise hard to extract. With it hanging there, you can't even feel the gun. I wear it all the time. Even to places that have the signs that say "Welcome killers with guns, nobody here is allowed to carry a gun, so come and kill at will." Anyway, that's the interpretation of the sign that really reads, " Gun free zone, no guns allowed." If you pay attention to those signs, you may be dead man walking.
Sifu

It's probably an irrational view, but when a first gun is a dog I think it tainted me on KelTec.

This thread sure took wing! Doesn't anyone watch football?

It's probably an irrational view, but when a first gun is a dog I think it tainted me on KelTec.

This thread sure took wing! Doesn't anyone watch football?
Can't shoot a football.

Well, you can but you can't reload it easily.

A Kel-Tec P-11 is about 14 oz unloaded. The ability to use 12 round magazines is nice along with it being 9mm. I'm not sure how reliable it would be with 15 round S&W 59 series magazines. I've not tested that out yet.

J frame carries very well and packs 5 rounds of .38. also, look at a micro desert eagle, they are well made and easy shooting little pieces. I prefer mine over my kahr cw 380; its more reliable.

I have (5) J Frame S&W handguns, ranging from .22LR to .357 Mag. I carry the 331 (.32 H&R) and 642 (.38 Spec) quite often as they only weigh 12 ounces. Plus, they are accurate and absolutely reliable. The Colt Mustang .380 is also one of my favorite carry guns and it fits in my inside jacket zipper pocket.

Get the PF9. About same size/weight as 380, but full size 9mm and eight rounds. Use Hornady FTX 115gr, mine cycles every time. Fits and weighs perfect in right front pocket. Put Laserlyte V3 on it n you're in business. I can hit 8" steel at 15 yards every time.

As far as a .380 front pocket gun is concerned, the Glock 42 is hard to beat for reliability and shoots with almost no bite. I haven't had much luck with the Keltec or the Ruger...

One advantage the Taurus TCP has over the Ruger LCP is that the slide locks back on empty. That's one shortcoming of the LCP. I can't count to six when I'm relaxed. If I ever needed the gun, counting would be right out the window. I like the trigger better on the TCP. I just picked one up for $200 shipped.

Had one single FTE on an lcp. None on the original keltec version. I don't count target loads, only defensive ammo matters to me. Both were accurate.

Not a lightweight(same as G42) but it's smaller, super accurate,and just looks badass. MDE 380 all the way.

2016-01-23%2000.21.03_4.jpg

2016-01-23%2000.21.03_4.jpg

Last Edited:
I have both the LCP and an early bodyguard. Bought the LCP because the laser on the BG was crap, and the CT laser on the LCP worked pretty well. I sent the original Insight BG laser back to S&W and they replaced it with a different brand (can't recall right now) and it works great. So I did a back to back test of the two pistols and the LCP is for sale. BG is way more comfortable for me and has actual sights in addition to the laser. I vote for the Bodyguard.

I'm glad to read a few of you mentioned the Glock 42 and 43 models. We have both versions. The G43 eats any ammo I throw at it. The G42 is more sensitive right now with about 250 rounds through it. As long as the .380 ammo spec is at ~195-200ft/lbs muzzle energy, it is 100%. The recoil is mild and my wife has no problem shooting a couple boxes of ammo before she starts flinching a bit...she's not really gung-ho.

I carry the G43 IWB and once it warms up to body temp, I never even notice it...regardless of its 'weight'

The G42...that thing just flat disappears being so light, smooth and slim. It's a perfect gun...just like all Glox :D

My $0.03

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads