Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

lightweight & compact hiking BOB food?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Asavage270, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Asavage270

Asavage270 eugene Active Member

Looking for something with a high caloric density, relatively small (compared to MRE or Mountain house) and preferably palatable.

A good option I found are the Idahoen potatoe packets, Just ad water and mix well, around 700-1000 calories and they are compact, lightweight, cheap, and not to bad tastin.

I have heard of moose goo but it takes some decent preperation and doesnt store long term.

Anyone else have any ideas?

2. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The Tuna and salmon that comes in the tin foil pouches at groceries is good to go.

3. Asavage270

Asavage270 eugene Active Member

I do throw a few pouches in because i like the flavor but they are generally pretty low-cal.

4. huthuthike

huthuthike Hillsboro OR Active Member

This is a good list. You should be looking at what is easy to prepare, palatable to you and make sure that you have adequate water for food prep.

5. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

OK some of you are tired of hearing I did the Appalachian trail 12 yrs., ago to you I apologize but I state this to qualify my opinion : )

This is an excellent list, my computer recent crashed and died and am in the process of putting together another list of considerations for a colleague at work for him and his wife. When I get it done soon hopefully I will post.

But in the mean time to add tot he list, I love walmart store brand flavored oatmeal quick easy to make, Mainstay and Datrex energy bars for extra energy, cookies, I loved cookies as an evening backpacking treat, cocoa, jerky, Vienna sausage, on the canned tuna remember tuna in oil is the same weight as tuna In water but twice the calories for the weight (shaking you head, go to your grocer and read the nutrition label you will see I am right here) just tuna in oil is an adjustment in taste buds, but your body will think you for the extra calories.

Last the is really IMPORTANT, most gator aid type mixes have sugar, be careful when giving to a person who is dehydrated, the electrolytes are important but give in moderation to a dehydrated person, you do not want to give a person a sugar rush who is dehydrated, if it contains a lot sugar dilute by at least 1/2 and have them alternate from pure water to diluted gator aid. Yes I have treated people of severe dehydration and I have discussed my methodology with EMT"S and trained S&R personnel and they agree with my above statement.

Also for electrolyte replenishment consider some of these option electrolyte at REI - FREE SHIPPING With $50 minimum purchase. with high potassium and very low or no sugar, also alternate from pure water to electrolyte mix, whenever using an electrolyte replenishment,

6. fyrediver

fyrediver Seattle Active Member

Tanka bars, bites, and sticks:
    Tanka Bar :: Real Food :: Real People

Justin Peanut butter packets
    Justins Nut Butter - Home

Fun sized candy bars like Snickers

Recovery/Endurance drinks and pastes like Gu or Hammer Recoverite (have a separate bottle for these, you REALLY don't want them in your Camelback!

Nuts in small packages.

Hard candies in single sealed wrappers.

7. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

For backpacking I remove almost all food from their store packaging and place in vacuum bags and seal them, helps to keep them fresh, reduce smell to help keep critters away while sleeping.

For item like mac n cheese, I put my salt in the vacuum with noodles, cut a little slit in the cheese mix packet and seal it, then when I want to cook , cut off top plastic, remove cheese mix dump pasta in pot of water and the salt is already there, saves a step, no cardboard to deal with, takes up less room in food bag. Do not completely drain water when pasta is fully cooked, leave enough so the cheese mix can be added, the water substitutes the required milk and butter.

For candy bars, oatmeal, cocoa powder, I simple cut a slit into the wrapper, place in a vacuum bag and vacuum seal.

Lights a lot of people pizz away money on expensive lighters, here is what I carried Jeweltones Lighters ? Calico Lighters :: Calico Brands, Inc.
    You can find a 5 pack at most walmarts, on the Tobacco checkout lane, I have several in my BOB, GHB, day pack and backpack, I used two the entire length of the A.T. granted I also had a stove with a self igniter on my stove. I did carried Water matches as well but found myself giving them away to people who either forgot to pack them or ran out.

If you use a stove with a fuel canister, after cooking your evening meal leave the stove attached to the canister (providing it is not a leaker of course) it keep you from loosing a small amount of fuel, goes phis when you separate the two, I only cook evening and breakfast, lunch is a cold meal for me regardless of weather, save time, fuel and effort.

8. TapRackNGo

TapRackNGo PNW Well-Known Member

regular oatmeal, nuts, brown sugar in a freezer bag. Just add boiling water and wait 10 minutes, then squeeze it out.

9. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Just found this...

Homemade Survival Bars