JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Guys,

Looking to pick up a scope in the next few weeks for Western Oregon hunting: blacktail, elk, and black bear. In the woods and across clear cuts. Don't plan on any far shots, but I also don't want the bell so small as to make early and late light difficult to see.

On a budget at the moment, so I don't want to go past $300.

Would like something lightweight and compact in the 2-7x or 1.5-6x range.

Looking hard at the Leupy VX 1 and 2 and the Vortex Diamondback.

Any other models I should be aware of?

Take a look at the Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35mm. The glass is very good for the price and it comes in under your budget. I would take it over the VX-1 Leupold...not familiar with the Vortex, but have heard expensive Vortex scopes are good and the cheap ones are not so good.

Take a look at the Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35mm. The glass is very good for the price and it comes in under your budget. I would take it over the VX-1 Leupold...not familiar with the Vortex, but have heard expensive Vortex scopes are good and the cheap ones are not so good.

Any reason you'd take it over the VX-1? I'm not too familiar with Burris, and the Leupy warranty and local connection is appealing.

The VX-1 scopes I've looked through have not been any more impressive than some of the least expensive scopes available. I think the Redfield brand now owned by Leupold is an upgrade to their VX-1 line, for less money. Could be the lower price gives an impression of being better...I can be influenced that way. I have a VX-2 on my deer rifle I paid $300 for and I really like it, however it is on par with a $200 dollar 3-9x40mm Fullfield that is on my elk rifle that included a pair of binos. Chucks Hawks has some reviews of Burris products if you want another opinion. He likes Leupold products too, but I think you can save some money with the Burris.

I bought my son a Redfield Revolution 2-7x32 scope for his Ruger Hawkeye .338 Federal last Christmas. He loves it, light, clear, plenty bright in low light, even with the 32mm objective, and backed by Leupold. Made in the USA, and under $200.

Right now Leupold is offering $50 back on the purchase of any VX-2.
I bought a VX-1 2-7x33 for my wife's Ruger Compact several years ago. It is a bright, clear scope and it didn't cost me a ton. I've owned a handful of VX-1 scopes thru the years and have never been disappointed.
Redfield Revenge is the "bargain" scope and the Revolution is pretty comparable to the VX-1 in price and features.
Another one to look at is the Leupold Rifleman. The one I have is a 3-9x40 and came from Bi-Mart for $229, if I remember correctly.

FYI, every VX-1 and VX-2 I've ever used would gather enough light in low light conditions that my eye had to "adjust" after I was looking thru the scope. Looking thru scopes at the store during the day won't tell you much...

Think I've settled down on a VX-2 2-7x33mm.

Would like to buy locally, but nowhere that I've checked so far around Portland has the 2-7 in stock. 3-9s and 4-12s aplenty, but no dice on the 2-7s.

I've checked with Sportsman's Warehouse, all three Fisherman's, NW Armory, Curt's, and a couple Big 5s.

Any other obscure ideas on where to check? Going to call Bi-Mart and the two Beaverton gun stores when I step out for lunch...

Update: Bi-Mart only carries VX-1s, Frontline doesn't have any Leupolds, and the new J&B place doesn't stock Leupolds.

Looks like I might be forced to buy online.

Last Edited:
No forward objective diameter on a Leupold Compact (now they call it "Ultralight") will hamper you in any way toward shooting in low-light conditions. With very close connections at the factory, my very favorite Leupold of all time is their 3x-9x Compact (Ultralight). Numerous guns in the stable here are graced with that scope, sometimes equipped with the Adjustable Objective (here's your slightly larger diameter objective if you insist upon it), or with the Extended Focus Range option for the rimfire guns.

As to speculation on the new Redfields, a Revolution scope is in all practicality the identical scope (optics and internal mechanics) as a standard Leupold from 15 years ago. This is why they can guarantee them the same. A VX-1 has better lens coatings, improved internals. A VX-2 better yet, and so on and so on.

You did not mention caliber, but hunting black bear in the Eastern Oregon landscape or Western clearcuts could very well benefit from 9x cabability on a cross-canyon shot. Having said that, certainly there is no moss growing on the perfectly petite 2x-7x.

Far too much emphasis has been placed upon the "advantages" of large-objective optics, even to the point where some with little experience are convinced they are absolutely necessary. Leupold engineers, knowing the truth, were influential in the significant delay toward Leupold bringing 50mm scopes to market. The hysterical craze in the marketplace which ignored plain optical science finally required Leupold to reluctantly throw their hat in the ring: But to this day the engineers get their say in the owners manual of all Leupold scopes (where a concise and understandable display of the facts illustrates the very minimal gain of a 50mm objective). In the beanfields of the deep South, or in Sweden where the "Deer" (moose) are hunted in near-dark almost to a rule, a benefit might be realized. For the extremely vast majority of big game hunters in America, the 50mm objective is a needless feature, and can be of great detriment: requiring the scope be mounted so high off the rifle that proper cheek-weld to the comb of the stock (imperative to consistency and accuracy in shooting technique) becomes impossible.

You make an astute observation toward Factory Warranties: Of course, a warranty does you absolutely no good when your optic fails in the field. But an optic that is guaranteed for life (not only to the original purchaser, and with no receipt required) may well speak to a lesser possibility of potential failure. If it didn't, Leupold would have folded long ago.

Last Edited:
Just as an update, I ordered the V-2 2-7x33mm from Optics Planet because I couldn't find anywhere locally that stocked them.

Order time turnaround was very quick; I'll likely order from them again in the future if they have the scope I'm looking for.

@Spitpatch, this is going on a 7mm-08 carbine for use in the woods and clearcuts in the Cascades/Coast.

Perbsolutely Abfect.

My experience with Optics Planet has been all favorable, and frequently outstandingly surprising (they front you 5 or ten bucks toward your next purchase each time you buy). Watch for their specials and deals, and along with a rebate from Leupold, I got a 4x-12x Redfield Revolution last year for about $165!!! I was outfitting, bedding, and loading for a new .270 for my best friend's grandson. Figured I'd ice the cake with a decent Bushnell or such. Optics Planet changed my mind in a hurry. Grandpa's (and the kid's) eyes popped out to see a first-class optic on that gun.

Me an' the boy, an' the Remington an' the Redfield an' a guy we met in Montana one morning:

PA270510_zps8ebd4f86.jpg

Don't forget some quality rings to mount your new scope on.
Be a shame to have great glass and not stay on target after a couple of shots.

Think I've settled down on a VX-2 2-7x33mm.

Would like to buy locally, but nowhere that I've checked so far around Portland has the 2-7 in stock. 3-9s and 4-12s aplenty, but no dice on the 2-7s.

I've checked with Sportsman's Warehouse, all three Fisherman's, NW Armory, Curt's, and a couple Big 5s.

Any other obscure ideas on where to check? Going to call Bi-Mart and the two Beaverton gun stores when I step out for lunch...

Update: Bi-Mart only carries VX-1s, Frontline doesn't have any Leupolds, and the new J&B place doesn't stock Leupolds.

Looks like I might be forced to buy online.
A friend of my dad's put a 1X pistol scope on his .30-30.
Saw fine in the woods, but magnification was obviously a bit lacking in more open country.
Dad tried to bridge that gap by mounting a 2.5X pistol scope on his.
WAY too much power for woods hunting.
My brother picked up an inexpensive .270 bolt-action and fitted it with a 2-7X (32mm) scope that dad had sitting around.
In the woods, it worked better than Dad's pistol scope, but even my brother complained it was still a bit too much for the woods.
While I've never mounted a scope on my rifle, I'd be inclined to go with a 1.5-6X scope (Bushnell Trophy XLT 44mm).
...and FWIW, I'd put that on a Remington Model 7 chambered for 7mm-08.
Seems like it would work best for both woods and open range.
Good luck with your scope. I'm sure it'll work fine for you. Leupold's a good company.

Dean

Last Edited:
I am a big fan of Scout scopes.

I use a 2-7X handgun scope because it gives me the eye relief I need to mount it in the position I want it to be.

I wish that some scope manufacturer would make a decent 1X or 1.5X to 4X or 6X handgun scope in matte finish.

Weaver makes one in glossy finish - I would buy it if it was matte (I suppose I could paint it with Plasti-dip - now there is an idea!).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top