JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello. I am looking for a really light weight easy-to-handle AR-15 for the grandson to use when he's out with me. I want a .223 (already have LOTS of ammo) and I also think I want to put some brand of red-dot or other laser optics on it. Kicker is I don't want to spend much money. The gun will be used for plinking etc out to 100-150yds.

I already have a nice Bushmaster long barrel w/Bushnell Tactical 10x40 for varmits etc. Just want something light and cheap yet reliable to bang around with. Probably never get 1000 rds through it.

Any of your recommendations/opinions are wanted and welcome. Thanks

Build one. Standard lower, flat-top upper. Lightweight 16" pencil barrel, carbon fiber handguard. Choice of buttstocks. Small red-dot. Based on budget desire, perhaps a Vortex sparc...

BCM lightweight barrel upper, Magpul MOE forearm and CTR stock. It will be under 7lbs w/o the optic.

H

OP says he doesn't want to spend much, has a "nice bushmaster", and reccomendation is BCM? Their excellent but not exactly budget.

PSA sells FN CHF barrels, as well as standard barrels. Just pick up a lightweight profile barrel

SSA has a 16" M4 Upper builders kit for $175. Cerro Flattop stripped Upper, Upper parts Kit, Charge handle, barrel nut, 16" M4 barrel. Just add your gasblock/A2 site, handguards and BCM.. <broken link removed>

Then pick your lower. There are cheap Poly lowers out there, want to say they are under $60?

PSA has a Lower builders kit for $87 SHIPPED. Entire lower parts kit plus Mil spec 6 position buffer tube assembly, castle nut and stock...
<broken link removed>

They have a sale on Mbus flip up's too, or did a week ago. <$40 each sight,
<broken link removed> (notice the picture for a discount code!)
<broken link removed>

The had a package $75ish for the pair, but I cannot seem to find it now..

Have u looked at the Bushmaster Carbon 15 its really light and my daughters shoots about an inch and a half groups at 100 yards with a lueupold ar 1.5-4 x scope they are around $699 at cabelas and come with a red dot scope.

Hello. I am looking for a really light weight easy-to-handle AR-15 for the grandson to use when he's out with me. I want a .223 (already have LOTS of ammo) and I also think I want to put some brand of red-dot or other laser optics on it. Kicker is I don't want to spend much money. The gun will be used for plinking etc out to 100-150yds.

I already have a nice Bushmaster long barrel w/Bushnell Tactical 10x40 for varmits etc. Just want something light and cheap yet reliable to bang around with. Probably never get 1000 rds through it.

Any of your recommendations/opinions are wanted and welcome. Thanks

If he is very young I would recommend .22LR that looks like an M4 ... Colt M4, S&W MP22, or the sort. Ammo is cheap, with a good red dot you can go 50-75 yds with no problem, and he'll learn the ropes of a M4 carbine until he's old enough to handle a .223

If you want a .223 go with Bushy's Carbon 15 ... very light .. I had one and was weighing 4 lbs. empty ...

Just my 2c

S&W Sport is very light, accurate, dependable. About $600. I've shot one and liked it. Felt like my M&P 15 only lighter.
There you go. All metal.....no plastic. Great rifle for the money.

You can always find some very nice "frankenrifles" for great prices that are often comprised of nicer parts than the low-end, name-brand rifles. I've bought a few of this ilk that were AMAZING ARs.

If he is very young I would recommend .22LR that looks like an M4 ... Colt M4, S&W MP22, or the sort. Ammo is cheap, with a good red dot you can go 50-75 yds with no problem, and he'll learn the ropes of a M4 carbine until he's old enough to handle a .223

If you want a .223 go with Bushy's Carbon 15 ... very light .. I had one and was weighing 4 lbs. empty ...

Just my 2c

I agree, but not the Colt M4, it has a less than stellar rep. Get the S&W MP22. They are about $425

I really appreciate all the advice. I've not really paid much attention to the world of AR's. Man, is there a lot of choices or what. I have ordered a New Frontier lower and am looking at DPMS upper through Midway USA; also one from Surplus Ammo in Lakewood, WA ($60-80 more). I'll be about $550 (including WSST) with no optics, sling or whatever else. I like the idea of "building" a rifle vs. something like a Carbon 15 or M&S Sport. Maybe learn something in the process.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top