JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I currently have a Taurus 992. I like everything about it, except the weight. It's 9 shots and has a .22 Mag conversion cylinder, great grips, good sights. It is fairly chunky with a 4" barrel coming in around 36 oz.

I'm considering Ruger SP101 and the S&W 63 kit gun (or 317 AirLite). It seems like the 63, with a 3" barrel and around 26 oz, is the best option out there. I saw one at the gun show this weekend and it came in about $670 if I remember right. I haven't come across a 317, but I hear they cost the same if not more, and some say they are too light to the point it affects accuracy, at 12 oz.

The Ruger comes in a little over $500. By all accounts it is a quality gun, with biggest complaint the heavy trigger pull. Its also a little heavier at 30 oz. Both seem to have great HiViz sights. The grip is nicer on the Smith, though this is easily modified on either.

My priority is weight, with accuracy being a must. The trigger pull matters, but mostly worried about the single action. I like that both hold 8 rounds. It will be mostly for plinking but with the option of using for small game if need be. By all accounts the Smith seems to be superior, but the big question is: Is it $160+ better?

Open to other suggestions for models that are readily available. No single action models though.

I am partial to S&W's..... Model 63 that you mentioned is a nice one. Also check out a Model 34 or Model 18 in 4 inch..... They are not new production, but are Pre Lock and many on GB and other boards.

$160 better? YES! The money spent on a S&W is money in the bank. And yes they are $160 nicer. I have a 4" 617 that is the funnest 22 pistol I own and I have a pretty good variety of them to play with. I think you would be very happy with the 63. An SP101 would be my next choice. Their triggers are easily tuned up. I would love to like Taurus but I work on guns and a lot of Taurus revolvers seem to need work that unfortunately cannot be fixed due to the poor design and manufacturing problems they are plagued with. Their semi auto are fine though.

Are you looking to sell or trade the Taurus 992? I would be interested in buying or trading a Taurus 94UL (22LR 9 round ultra light version, 2 inch barrel weights 18oz.) that I have.

Absolutely worth the extra 160 IMO. I've had my mdl 43 Smith since I was a kid, and it is quite obvious by the holster wear that I've carried it a lot.

Love that little sucker.

My general rule of thumb; Buy the best quality you can afford.

S&w 43, alloy air weight j frame, pre lock. Too bad they're pricey if you can find one. I'm a big fan of the 34's and k22's.

I picked up a hi standard sentinel 22lr a while back for $150 iirc. Good shooter and has an aluminum frame so it's fairly lightweight. 9 shot capacity.

About a year ago, I picked up a perfect condition mid 60's vintage smith kit gun with 4" barrel. I think its a model 32/.22. It's beautifully blued and has perfect stocks. I'm not sure it had ever been shot although I shoot it now on special occasions. The trigger is marvelous, and its incredibly accurate. I think it set me back $550 or so. I got lucky and made a good investment. But really my point is that deals on beautiful older smiths can be had for the patient.

Absolutely worth the extra 160 IMO. I've had my mdl 43 Smith since I was a kid, and it is quite obvious by the holster wear that I've carried it a lot.

Love that little sucker.

My general rule of thumb; Buy the best quality you can afford.

+1 I really love my 43. Great little grouse getter. Carry all day long and you don't even realize it is there, until you need it to put some dinner in the pot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top