JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
what are peoples thoughts on lights and sirens on personal vehicles in a SHTF senario. would it help being able to get through clogged up roads? or just piss people off?

i think it'd be as likely to make you a target, if the situation is such that firing up overheads on your POV wouldn't get you arrested. or do you just mean yellows? nobody gives a rip about yellow lights, and would probably spite you if they thought you though you were gonna get somewhere with them...

so, in summary... reallocate that budget to ammo, my friend. ;-)

i have clear strobes now. but im looking at an electric "air" horn, and wondering if its worth spending a few bucks more for one with siren and welp

Well if SHTF day comes and everyone on they way out of town or something is going on noone will give a rip about your lights or sirens (i think) people will be in survival mode running for their lives.
I say more ammo and big diesel truck ..... Cummins for example :)

I'd rate this right up there with CHL badges

Ditto. If there's enough law enforcement to care about it, you don't need it and it will just get you in trouble. If there's not enough LE to care about it, it won't do any good. Likewise with comments above, a ratty or obviously private vehicle with such a setup would look like a bandit trying to set me up- I'd be inclined to treat them as such.

Get a push bar/cattle guard on the front of a heavy vehicle. Get the attitude that you need to help people out, and cooperate to get through the disaster. If you look like you are willing to sacrifice everyone else for your own good, they will reciprocate the attitude. Most of all, don't simply plan for one EVENT. In America, natural disasters don't mean lawlessness (even Katrin was overblown in the news). Lawlessness will only come about if we continue the long slow slide from civilization by moving away fro our founding principles of individual rights and responibilities, and then it won't need a huge triggering event. It'll creep up on you.

I'd rate this right up there with CHL badges and those guys who drive decommissioned cop cars.

+1

Forget the lights and invest in a big push bar. Vehicle can't handle a push bar? Get one that will.

Lights and siren in a stressful situation? Ask the LE who went through the LA riots or Katrina and how those lights and sirens worked for them.

SF-

thanks for the input guys. i was kinda feeling the same way. they will only be useful when ill get in trouble for it. truck already has a full steel bumper if i had too i could push my way thru.

You hit my pickup with a push bar and you'll be finding out how much I invested in ammo. Just saying.

I'm curious what folks with push-bars/steel-bumpers think the reaction would be if they pushed someone's car (without their consent) out of the way? It's not just a question of property damage. If I was in that car, I'd think that a) you were trying to hurt my family, and b) your actions might damage my car, leaving me stranded on the side of the road in a SHTF situation.

I personally feel pushing someone's car is the absolute last and worst resort you can do to negotiate an obstacle. One you start pushing a car in a congested roadway you are going to make instant enemies. Your truck may be tough, but it isn't bullet proof, nor are your tires. It would really suck to have some tweeker come up behind your truck while you are attempting to push a car and have him pop your tires with a itty-bitty pocket knife and the office geek who has never had to rough it in his life but has mastered every 1st person shooting game ever created with a new Draco AK pistol next to you. Then what? You are now a road stand wal-mart for those around you to 'acquire' your gear.

Best bet it to help those around you so you can negotiate the obstacle in a win-win situation. If you do decide to push a car, you had better be prepared to live with the consequences of your actions and ensure there is a safe and guaranteed escape.

SF-

Push an abandoned car out of the way sure. A fence or a roadblock maybe. But just trying to push cars on a road is going to be suicide. Everyone else on the road will instantly hate you.

People bug LEO for random crap as it is. Durring SHTF, if you run lights and sirens it would probably get people following you or trying to get you to stop. Imagine people jumping out in front of your vehicle (thinking you will stop to help) when you're just trying to clear the way to bug out.

I think it's a bad idea...not for the legal reasons, but for the unwanted attention it would bring on you. I'd try to stay clear of the major roads as much as possible.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top