JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'd eventually like to get my daughter into shooting, but she has a problem even with my Ruger 10/22 carbine. She says it's too heavy for her to hold up!

So what's the lightest .22 for a kid?

yea, I got my daughter a crickett for her first rifle. it was also a great learning weapon because of the exaggerated size of the charging system. My daughter loved the "process" of loading, and charging the rifle (for the first couple times that was actually more fun for her than the actual trigger pull :smile: )

some things i did I cut down lenth and reduce the weight of the stock then reduced more weight using a belt sander but it made it fit smaller hands better . I also tried a light weight synthetic stock I cut the barrel down to 16" (must be at least 16" to be legal ) and I turned down the weight of the barrel on a lathe i did consider a carbon fiber barrel .

i ended up bringing my daughters down to less than 4lbs with a adjustable stock so i can still shoot it comfortably and since the stock is adjustable it can expand as she grows into a full size one.

but another suggestion that is often over looked is start her off bench shooting . They will concentrate more on hitting the target rather than just trowing lead. The bench supports the weight she will concentrate on hitting the target

Thompson Center came out recently with a beautiful little-kids' break-open single shot (looks like a Contender Carbine that went thru the wash). High-Viz sights, and stocks available in pink!

Ditto on eldbillbo's wise recommendation that ALL shooting be done from a bench until basic marksmanship fundamentals are demonstrated. (Sight picture, breathing, trigger squeeze, etc.)
The golden value of this is in the confidence it builds in the new shooter.

remington nylon 66

Reliable, lightweight, and unlike the crickett, your kid will still be able to shoot it comfortably when she grows up.

I've been shooting one since I was 9.

I'd argue that since it is a full size gun, it is very most probably too long in the butt for most kids (and, unlike an inexpensive wood stock, unable to shorten). But it is one of my all-time favorite .22's.:)

I got a Savage Rascal for my girls. My 8 year old can hold it and shoot it standing. Now she just needs to work on her form and keeping her hair out of her face. ;)

The thing is tiny.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads