JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for a low power scope to put on a hunting rifle. I would really like 30mm and a range of around 1-6x, not really wanting illuminated, and I would like it to be light weight. I really like the Leupold VX3i 1-5x, but it is 1", all the Nightforce and Trijicons are heavy, not a Vortex fan. I am looking for high end glass that can take a beating. What should I look at?

Are you worried you'll lose too much field of view with the 1"?

Id say the Leupolds are the lightest I've ever held. I'd stick to them unless there is something lighter?

What do you consider light ? I consider anything a pound or under light. 30mm and light usually don't come hand in hand. Swaro does make a z6i 1-6x that comes in just under a pound but will set you back $1800 or so.

Last Edited:
The human eye can't receive any more light than a 1 inch tube at 4x and under. You don't need the adjustment range either. Just do a Leupold 1-4x20 or 1.5-5x20, or go fixed 4x. All those options puts you at around 10 oz.

A 30mm scope will be quite a bit tougher and much greater FOV. A Leupold 1-4x20 is about 75' @ 100 yds on 1x while my k16i is nearly 140' @ 100 yds on 1x, plus the reticle is good for range estimation all of which are a bonus for hunting, but you win in the price tag department.

Last Edited:
A 30mm scope will be quite a bit tougher and much greater FOV. A Leupold 1-4x20 is about 75' @ 100 yds on 1x while my k16i is nearly 140' @ 100 yds on 1x, plus the reticle is good for range estimation all of which are a bonus for hunting, but you win in the price tag department.

None of that matters on a hunting rifle. If you don't use your scope as a carry handle or play baseball with it, 1 inch vs 30mm "toughness" won't matter. I've always hunted with 1 inch tubes and have never busted a scope.

If you're using a 1-4x or 1-5x, range estimation will be easy because you'll know "too far" real quick. Range estimation via reticle is based on known sized objects, usually a 6 foot human. How tall is a deer? How tall is an elk? You could spend $600 on a front focal plane scope and learn the reticle, or spend $300 on a 1 inch tube 1-4x scope and also afford a range finder. Then, out to 350 yards, you can remember the average deer is about 14-16 inches brisket to backbone, and still hold on hair if you've using a standard 200 yard zero and your cartridge choice is similar to a 30-06 in trajectory.

As far as FOV, the 30mm wins. But do you need it to win? Your binoculars are your search tool, the scope is just a sight. I only bring up my rifle when I'm reasonably certain I'm going to shoot. Finding the animal with a low power 1 inch scope is easy if you know your cheek weld and properly set eye relief. I hunt quite a bit in the timber/reprod for blacktails and elk, mostly with a scope turned down to 3x, or a fixed 4x or 6x, and never had a problem. 75 feet FOV is a lot in a hunting scenario. If you see a deer At 100 yards and pull your rifle up and you're not within 75 feet of it, there are other problems.

I think the "tactical" world creates a series of "problems" that just aren't applicable to the vast majority of hunters. Would I use a 30mm scope? Maybe if I were shooting a 416 on a cape buffalo, I'd buy a 30mm scope. Or, if I need the adjustment to shoot farther. But a hunting scope for game in North America?

I have been known to occasionally use my scope as a carry handle. I like 1" tubes for this as it creates more clearance for my fat sausage fingers :s0114:.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top