JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am going to be rehabing a couple of guns, and wondered if anyone here would have an opinion on what products to use, steps to take etc. lol. I am sure there are tons of opinions, but more specifically, I have a shotgun, and a Golden State (commercially sporterized Enfield) that have sat for an extended period of time. While I understand they are never going to be perfect, what things should I specifically be looking for? How far down should they be taken? Any good cleaners, lubes?
Thanks in advance!

I use brake cleaner on many internals, especially if I don't want to completely disassemble something. Otherwise I use Hoppe's Elite cleaner and a brush. It also depends on the finish of the parts whether I use a toothbrush or a brass brush.

Check for surface rust as well. I generally use 0000 steel wool and oil to rub out rust. Depending on my ultimate aim, I may use Bluing and Rust remover.

If a small area need rebluing, I use Oxpho Blue from Brownells. I heat the part and apply it with a cotton ball, then repeat as necessary.

For any wood, it depends on what the end result should be. Sometimes I just use linseed oil and steel wool to clean the finish. Other times I'll completely strip the finish with an orange type stripper that can just be wiped off rather than neutralized with water. Water will raise the grain and then you're into sanding which can ruin cartouches, etc.

I like either a matte oil finish or will sometimes use TruOil with multiple coats and steel wool in between coats. Depending on how much gloss I want, determines how heavily I apply the TruOil and how much gloss I knock down with the steel wool.

Again, depending on my ultimate aim, sometimes I will rub in a final coat of beeswax and buff it out.

Good luck with your project. Maybe you could post some pics of the process you use for us to enjoy.

Try a "Chore Boy" copper kitchen scrubber and oil for really bad rust. Do not use a copper coated steel scrubber. When you're done, there will be a copper patina on the steel. Just use come CLP or something similar on a soft rag to remove it.

As I said, I like Oxpho Blue for spot bluing. Keeping the rifle oiled will prevent any further rust. It's your decision. There's really no right or wrong answer, it's your personal preference that matters.

These aren't collectible or valuable guns, they have sentimental value to you, so let your choices be what you feel best doing.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top