JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was just looking at my Colt 6920 and noticed.

Your hammer spring has three coils on both sides of the hammer.

My Colt has four.

Don't know who made your spring. But could it be under powered?

Mine is top picture.
Yours is the lower picture.

DSCN4569.JPG image_jpeg.jpg

Last Edited:
I'm not sure if this is what you have.

But Brimstone Gunsmithing offers JP lightweight 3lb.springs. Vs 5lb. springs.
And they warn about potential light strike problems with these springs on there site.

Edit: I just went to Midway and looked at the springs they offer.
It sure looks like there three coil springs are 3.5 pound spring?

Good luck!

Last Edited:
I am not a betting man (LOL) but after a good cleaning (dis-assembly of the trigger group) and a cleaning of the bolt carrier group, complete checking the firing pin to see if a new one is any longer at all, even 2-or 3 .oo1 could solve the problem.

I have several new firing pins in stock incase I have a problem, would be glad to see if it helps, or you can buy one. A new trigger group and or springs probably are not the problem... just my .002c

Why?

Manufacturer and seller of the spring warns of soft strike problems with this 3.5lb. spring?

It is a problem!

Why chase your tail?
because I have seen the problem, I am just betting its not the spring.....I have lost plenty of bets and am not afraid to be wrong, that's why

chasing tail ?

its process of elimination

have the spring on stand by , do one thing at a time

what's the big deal?

I am woefully low on spare parts for this rifle.
Springs and pins are a must to have on hand for any gun that sees alot of action, but yes I will run it a bit to see if the cause was the massive build up of crud .
If its still not cycling after a more detailed cleaning, then a set of springs seems reasonable.

Wait?

Is that not what I suggested be changed?

Then what's the problem!
I'm just being a smart a$$

I believe he is suffering from a tolerance stack attributed to the carbon and crap in the bolt body

I think it is too intermittent to be the spring because he is using only one ammo type and its quality ammo , regular primer cups and all

I could be totally wrong but its fun trying to diagnose without the gun in hand

I am woefully low on spare parts for this rifle.
Springs and pins are a must to have on hand for any gun that sees alot of action, but yes I will run it a bit to see if the cause was the massive build up of crud .
If its still not cycling after a more detailed cleaning, then a set of springs seems reasonable.

Contrary to common belief.
A mill speck M-16 can shoot 2000nrounds or more without cleaning.

I have done this more than once in the Military [There was no time to clean].

Your gun is only touching on filthy. Compared to what I have seen keep running in a mil speck. gun.

So it's not performing in it's current confiruration?

It was running fine, but then the light strikes became a problem. Since they are intermittent , im leaning towards the unholy filth that was built up in the chamber as the culprit.
However, spare parts are critical for any weapon platform, so yeah I will pick up some fresh springs and an extra firing pin.
Tonight im going to swing by sportsmans and pick up some new oil and scrubber and new brushes.
Then turn my kids loose on it and tell them I want it gleaming if they ever hope to shoot it again.

Places like Sportsman's carry DPMS and Bushmaster spare/lost part kits but I don't think you can get just a spring unless you get lucky at a LGS, online for sure but like you said shipping sucks

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top